Rear bumper and tire carrier question - with a twist

UNLIMITED_FUN

I have a winch on a cradle, and this is how I roll with it, no exceptions.

I made a 2" front receiver solution to fit in the ARB bumper, cost $25 total.

The problem is the rear, there isn't enough room to put the winch cradle in the 2" receiver because it won't clear the bottom of the spare tire.

I want to new rear bumper and tire carrier, but Smittybuilt says they're XRC solution probably won't work or allow enough room.

I called Quadratec and they think a WARN might do the trick, I'll need to call WARN tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a bumper\tire carrier that would allow to raise the 35" tire high enough to allow the 10" clearance required from the 2" receiver to the bottom of the tire?

Thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not something I would do but, if you're determined, the LoD bumper tire carrier allow for you to raise or lower the spare but by how much, I can't say for sure. I would give them a call to see if they can help you out with something custom if needed.

TrailBear

You could use a hitch extension to move your winch out far enough, I would only use this for straight or with you line pulling down slightly.

UNLIMITED_FUN

Thx suicideking

Years ago I bought my Recon 10k winch from a place called Truckandwinch along with the cradle and AMP quick connectors.

I found out that the "Spyder 07-13 JEEP WRANGLER JK ROCK CRAWLER REAR BUMPER & TIRE CARRIER" they sell has a distance of 34" from the 2" receiver to the top of the tire carrier mount.

Even if the bottom lug on the mount was only 30" from the receiver, that allows more than the 10" clearance I need from the tire tread down to the top of the winch housing.

Plus, it's a lot cheaper. It may not be as heavy duty as my ARB front bumper, but it has good reviews on other jeep sites.

I've never had any problems with this site or the guys that works there, so I'll probably just go with this model and be done with it.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

Beyrgut

If you run a Trektop NX an Ace with slant bracket would work. But like was already mentioned just flip the cradle, more options that way.

I almost have enough clearance to open the gate with my Thule bike rack without an extension, its the gate and not the tire now that hits the carrier. Top of receiver to bottom of tire is 18" in pic below.
Ace-Slant-10x6.jpg

Last edited:

UNLIMITED_FUN

Thanks beyrgut, Nice rig! Love that Ace.

I liked that idea but I have hard tops in WA and plan to stay that way, I couldn't see how to make that work by tilting the tire toward the windshield.

I couldn't find anything that would kick that tire out at the bottom over the winch top only.

If I turn that winch upside down it will get destroyed based on the number of parts I've left in rough terrain.

Although it looks like it's right behind the pumpkin, I need it to not get bashed in the field when I depend on it.

I'm hitting the woods next weekend, I'll turn it upside down and film it with some GoPros and see how the clearances looks.

Last edited:

mdwjeep

If I turn that winch upside down it will get destroyed based on the number of parts I've left in rough terrain.

Hey U_Fun, since you have the font receiver mount already, why not keep it on the front until you need to move it rear for a recovery? I wouldn't be surprised if you leave winch parts behind too if you run it upside down.

Also, you might consider the soft top if you haven't already. I bought my Jeep with a hard top because the salesman said it was warmer, but the trees at places (like Evans Creek) damaged it on some of the first runs. The prospects didn't look good. After getting a Trektop NX, the tree clearance went up, and I discovered it was just as comfortable as the hard top. The noise level went up a little because the soft top doesn't block outside noise as much. Just thought I'd mention it.

Benny

That's what I was thinking too. Leave it on the front and then if you need it to pull backwards, just swap it. Plus if you store it on the back, you're going to bang your knees and shins on it everytime you get into the back.

UNLIMITED_FUN

Thanks for the sage advice, good to keep in mind. Since the ARB front is heavy and I primarily am in 2wd I was thinking I would carry it on the back like I have in the past, but there's something to be said about that winch in the crotch every time you want to get something out of the back. :grayno:

I bought a 2" receiver on a plate and I mounted it to the ARB winch cradle with 4 grade 8 bolts, so for now that's where the winch is.

It's so high on the front that the attack angle won't be a problem.

Top Bottom