Winch opinions?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's funny because I always hear people saying how they don't want to get a lift only to find out that they should have just saved up and gotten something better or, I wish I would have known then what I know now so I wouldn't have wasted my money. But, when it comes to winches, all of a sudden, cheap Chinese crap is defended tooth and nail. Of course, I'm not saying that this is you as you are more like me - someone who had bought a cheap Chinese winch (yes, it's true) but then learned that maybe getting something better like a WARN would have been the smarter thing to do.

Couldn't agree with you more on this Eddie. The warn would have been the smarter choice and I see that now. Later down the road I will finally get one.

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't agree with you more on this Eddie. The warn would have been the smarter choice and I see that now. Later down the road I will finally get one.

Yup, kinda like how you're running a 2.5" lift now. Would have been nice to get something better and later down the road, I'm sure you will. Nothing wrong with starting off with one thing, learning a bit and then thinking forward to something better. Defending a cheap Chinese winch would be like digging in your heels and swearing that your 2.5" lift is every bit as good as an EVO DTD. :crazyeyes:

suicideking

I bowed out figuring the whole thread jack was at the 'beating a dead horse' stage. I get the point -- Eddie no likey Chinese.

Woknrox -- sore subjects with Eddie: Chinese winches, Tom Woods driveshafts. I'm sure there are many others. I knew when responding to the thread and mentioning Engo, Eddie would probably be seconds behind me to trash them. I still couldn't resist because after all, the OP was asking for something that wouldn't break the bank.

Warn is better, that is not being disputed. Like my 33" AT tires, Ace rails, 2.5" springs, and MANY other things I've bought, eventually the Engo will probably get replaced with a Warn.

The whole 'real winching' vs. everything I've seen which is 'not real winching' is a bunch of crap. If the winch gets hooked up and is more convienient than pulling out the strap, well mission accomplished. That video I posted on Dishpan -- The guy using the winch was on the other side of the main waterfall in a spot where he couldn't move forward or go backward. I know the XJ wasn't stuck, but the purpose of the winch was to make sure he didn't flop. Spooling out the line as he moved was helpful. Nevertheless, not real winching. :idontknow:

Like I've said, if I go to tug someone off a rock and the Engo explodes a firey death, I will be glad to post pics. If it fails to pull my Jeep up from an embankment, well my insurance is paid up.

Tonight, like last night, I will cry myself to sleep clutching my Engo manual. It's in Chinese, but they guy I get my egg rolls from can translate. :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I bowed out figuring the whole thread jack was at the 'beating a dead horse' stage. I get the point -- Eddie no likey Chinese.

Guess you like beating a dead horse after all - welcome back :crazyeyes:

Woknrox -- sore subjects with Eddie: Chinese winches, Tom Woods driveshafts. I'm sure there are many others.

:cheesy: Oh yeah, sore subjects is what they must be. I mean, why else would I try to encourage people to steer clear of Chinese winches or Tom Woods shafts that use Chinese u-joints. :crazyeyes:

I knew when responding to the thread and mentioning Engo, Eddie would probably be seconds behind me to trash them. I still couldn't resist because after all, the OP was asking for something that wouldn't break the bank.

I knew when responding to the thread and mentioning Engo, you would probably be seconds behind me to beat a dead horse. Still, I couldn't resist because after all, the OP was asking about winches - god forbid that someone like me would try to encourage him to not make a mistake by buying a subpar product.

Warn is better, that is not being disputed. Like my 33" AT tires, Ace rails, 2.5" springs, and MANY other things I've bought, eventually the Engo will probably get replaced with a Warn.

What a waste that would be. I mean, I thought the only thing that was important to you was to get something that wouldn't break the bank. Now you'd be buying something twice and spending a lot more the second time around.

The whole 'real winching' vs. everything I've seen which is 'not real winching' is a bunch of crap. If the winch gets hooked up and is more convienient than pulling out the strap, well mission accomplished.

If that helps you to sleep better at night, you go right on believing that. While you're at it, you should also believe that your 2.5" springs are just as good as my coil overs. I mean, they both lift a Jeep and provide more clearance for bigger tires :yup:

That video I posted on Dishpan -- The guy using the winch was on the other side of the main waterfall in a spot where he couldn't move forward or go backward. I know the XJ wasn't stuck, but the purpose of the winch was to make sure he didn't flop. Spooling out the line as he moved was helpful. Nevertheless, not real winching. :idontknow:

:yawn37: Like I said, there's a difference between "using" a winch and "needing" a winch.

Like I've said, if I go to tug someone off a rock and the Engo explodes a firey death, I will be glad to post pics. If it fails to pull my Jeep up from an embankment, well my insurance is paid up.

:drama:

Tonight, like last night, I will cry myself to sleep clutching my Engo manual. It's in Chinese, but they guy I get my egg rolls from can translate. :thumb:

For some reason, I feel hungry now :thinking:

DKronk42

Ive said it in the past, i stumbled upon wayalife and project jk while researching before i bought my jk. In the few months ive been here this forum has saved me easily 2-3 thousand dollars by steering me away from sub par products... Granted as of right now my jeep still sits stock instead of 3 inches of lift and 37's, and its kinda discouraging, but im sitting stock while i save for quality parts that i wont need to replace later on. My budget is extremely tight, but taking it slow and doing it right once, and maybe spending a little more upfront is going to save me alot of money in the long run... So with winches (something your entrusting the safety of your vehicle to) dont cut that corner, take the advice of those who have and run with it...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Defending a cheap Chinese winch would be like digging in your heels and swearing that your 2.5" lift is every bit as good as an EVO DTD. :crazyeyes:

Woooo there Eddie, my lift is the smoothest lift on the market and can handle the whoops in the desert ten times better than your DTD! Just like my how winch could have done that long pull at Drummond island better than mels warn :crazyeyes: :cheesy: :cheesy:

lol once again you are correct. I will eventually move up from teraflex to the plush rides like Hinrich did or just save for the bolt on coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone

noroad

Woooo there Eddie, my lift is the smoothest lift on the market and can handle the whoops in the desert ten times better than your DTD! Just like my how winch could have done that long pull at Drummond island better than mels warn :crazyeyes: :cheesy: :cheesy:

lol once again you are correct. I will eventually move up from teraflex to the plush rides like Hinrich did or just save for the bolt on coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone

COILOVERSSSS I want them:yup::blush:

Well, not to go off topic... Or wait I was going on topic....

Suggestions... Should I keep with a steel cable on my Warn 8274 or switch out to a synthetic.....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well, not to go off topic... Or wait I was going on topic....

Suggestions... Should I keep with a steel cable on my Warn 8274 or switch out to a synthetic.....

Is your steel cable in poor condition? If not, it would come down to whether you really needed the weight savings, or had money burning a hole in your pockets.

If your cable is in poor condition, I'd look at synthetic. That's what's on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Warebear

I think I'll throw in some opinions here on having a budget but still wanting quality.
Craigslist! Mall crawler dudes are always selling their Warn winches, I bought my 9.5ci barely used for less than half of what it cost new.

suicideking

True, but I still wouldn't replace a cable that's in very good condition, with synthetic, unless I had money to blow.

Understandable if you picked up a used winch that already had a cable installed. Personally, I will only run synthetic. It's really not expensive when you compare to the $1000's that most spend on their rigs. I just bought a new Warn line for $329.

Plus I've seen some pretty dumb uses of a winch with people standing next to the line. So intelligence helps. :beer:

True, but I still wouldn't replace a cable that's in very good condition, with synthetic, unless I had money to blow.

Yeah I am just thinking it is a good idea to replace.... my steel cable is 20 years old, withstood 2 winters of Illinois salted roads, and even while the cable still looks to be in good condition the amount of hurt from a snapped cable is not worth the risk.... So at the minimum I would replace the steel....

Sent from my SM-T330NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom