PITA u joint change

Time to hit the easy button and get some opinions. I have changed u joints countless times and all has been well except for this go around! this is on a 1310 tom woods double cardan cv front shaft.

Swapped out all 3 joints like I normally do for routine maintenance, bolted the shaft back up. 4wd on flat ground all is good, but once there is pressure on the shaft like going up a hill I got this awful metal sound like taking two screw drivers and hitting them together. So I took it back off; for whatever reason it looked like the cardan was hitting the weld yoke on 1/2 a rotation and the ujoint cap on the other 1/2 of rotation. so I took it all apart, and flipped the cardan around just in case it was directional or balanced in a particular direction, and bolted it all back up.

this go around the original noise was gone but I get this! http://youtu.be/qwd-vopWjj4

I would guess the squeaking would be from the cv socket yoke but i greased it before putting it all back in. the last 4 seconds of the video im not even on the brakes just rolling to a stop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that doesn't sound right that's for sure. All things being equal, when was the last time you had the double cardan rebuilt?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have never replaced the cv yoke before as it has always seemed to be in good working order. I think its going to be my next step.

Well, replacing it is something you should do as a part of normal maintenance. Sounds like it might be worn down enough to allow for slop. Given you've done everything right and everything should be working, I can't see what else it could be.

HDGasser

Damn, you've got some serious binding issues going on under there!

You 100% sure it went back together the way it came apart??

It may be a little anal/a.d.d. On my part but anytime I drop the shafts I paint marker it all up so I make sure it all lines back up the way it was.

SaddleTramp

Well, replacing it is something you should do as a part of normal maintenance. Sounds like it might be worn down enough to allow for slop. Given you've done everything right and everything should be working, I can't see what else it could be.

Thread drift, how frequent/mileage should one expect or plan to rebuild? Thank you!

Damn, you've got some serious binding issues going on under there!

You 100% sure it went back together the way it came apart??

It may be a little anal/a.d.d. On my part but anytime I drop the shafts I paint marker it all up so I make sure it all lines back up the way it was.

I think making marks is a good idea, i use to do it but have gotten relaxed about it. Flipping the cardan was key the second time around to eliminate the knocking. Ill replace the cv yoke next and see if that does it.

new cv yoke is in and fixed that problem eliminating some of the drive line noise. unfortunately now that the drive shaft didnt make noise I could hear loud and clear the other half of the problem. The jeep has been sitting all winter so I was thinking CTM u joints needed greasing but after watching the video closely the noise doesn't appear to be in sync with the ctm's. sounds more like a hub issue the what pattern of the noise is. lol sounds like i'm popping pop corn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DtoNPwDZE&feature=youtu.be

HDGasser

Still sounds like something's binding up pretty badly. Try putting it on jack stands with the tires off to see if you can pin point it.

You should almost be able to feel it.

What does it sound like when your going faster?

Sc741

Sounds like someone put a playing card on your tone ring! Like we used to do when we were kids on our bikes! Lol

I dont know if i can replicate it with tires off as it still only does it under load. I was able to drive up and down two hills with no noises until i got to the third hill. Went about 35mph on flat then turned the corner hit the hill and bam.

At faster speeds it sounds the same, when walking along side of it i could feel vibrations when i put my hand on the hubs.

Hubs locked in 2wd no noise, as there is no load on anything. Appreciate the help, trying to think.of the next step from here. Take a hub off and look for damage?

tried to replicate the noise with front axle off the ground no luck. locked it and had one tire touching to give it some resistance while i rotated the other and nothing. took the warn locking hub out, looked fine no shavings, operated correctly. back to the drawing board

Top Bottom