WAYALIFE Rockin Rubicon Run 2014 : June 15th - 17th

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I prefer "smallish" 3 person tents with two doors. Even with two people, there is enough room for some gear, you don't climb over each other and they aren't ridiculous solo.

Look for simple three pole setup, good ventilation, and a good rainfly. Pre-sealed/taped seam are a plus too.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Need a new tent for the trip. The one I have now is a huge 6 person family tent. Thinking a roomy 2 person would be a good add in for this solo trip or future trips for the wife and I. Looking at a couple Kelty models, a couple REI models and a Eureka. All seem comparable and in the $100-$150 price range. Any clear cut winner/loser?

So we're not bunking together in that 6-person anymore?? 😜

David1tontj

View attachment 78918

Cool Rubicon Medal I found on Ebay.
Made of brass, real nice.

Whoa whoa whoa pastor... Don't you think you should complete the trail before getting the badge? Haha.

But then again I feel like the Rubicon stickers should not be offered on a jeep until you've completed the rubicon too. 😁

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

jkjurny

Need a new tent for the trip. The one I have now is a huge 6 person family tent. Thinking a roomy 2 person would be a good add in for this solo trip or future trips for the wife and I. Looking at a couple Kelty models, a couple REI models and a Eureka. All seem comparable and in the $100-$150 price range. Any clear cut winner/loser?

Agree with Sharky that a 3 person tent is better. I have a REI 2 person tent, I now wish I got the 3 person.

Regarding brand, I really like my REI tent. You can use just the rainfly with the base for a minimalist shelter. We use that when we're at the park for shade. I'm sure a lot of the other brands are offering the same feature, but I noticed it first with the REI tent.

Other small features, like a hard Velcro tab that props open the rainfly to vent air are nice and work to scoop in cool air into the tent.

Hack12

But then again I feel like the Rubicon stickers should not be offered on a jeep until you've completed the rubicon too. 😁

Unless they start reproducing copies of the Rubicon trail, rock for rock, in every region of the country I would think that'd be asking a bit much of us east coasters! :D

David1tontj

Unless they start reproducing copies of the Rubicon trail, rock for rock, in every region of the country I would think that'd be asking a bit much of us east coasters! :D

Haha. Fair enough.

I grew up in SoCal, and the rubicon was a right of passage, so I was pissed when jeep named them "rubicon" since I knew most of the "rubicon" jeeps would never leave the pavement.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

JAGS

Hooked
I prefer "smallish" 3 person tents with two doors. Even with two people, there is enough room for some gear, you don't climb over each other and they aren't ridiculous solo.

Look for simple three pole setup, good ventilation, and a good rainfly. Pre-sealed/taped seam are a plus too.

Agree with Sharky that a 3 person tent is better. I have a REI 2 person tent, I now wish I got the 3 person.

Regarding brand, I really like my REI tent. You can use just the rainfly with the base for a minimalist shelter. We use that when we're at the park for shade. I'm sure a lot of the other brands are offering the same feature, but I noticed it first with the REI tent.

Other small features, like a hard Velcro tab that props open the rainfly to vent air are nice and work to scoop in cool air into the tent.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look again at the 3-persons. Think they were pushing $200+ for the top brands. Not a deal breaker, just more than was looking to spend.

So we're not bunking together in that 6-person anymore?? 😜

Well, guess that could be one option. 😳😉. Lol.

- Jason

2rescue01

If you don't plan on also using the tent as a backpacking tent, then I say just get an inexpensive 3 person dome tent from Big 5, or similar place. It's big enough for you and the wife, and not too big for a solo trip either. I appreciate REI quality tents as much as anyone else, but I have the less expensive tent for the Jeep trips. I also use a regular blue tarp for the footprint instead of the custom and more expensive footprints common with the more expensive tent. Regardless of your choice don't forget the Scotch Guard and seam seal.

drtnwtr

View attachment 75675

35" Toyo MT's (5)
3" lift
Tow points front and rear
LOD sliders
Recovery gear
CB
Fire extinguishers (2)
Spill kit

*WAYALIFE windshield banner (pending). Went to order today but no silver available. Should I hold out or just order a white one?

Room booked (sat and tues)!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397853011.517535.jpg

WAYALIFE windshield sticker makes it official...I'm ready!
Added a few things in the last two weeks too.

David1tontj

I can get you a deal on that one!! I've got a couple friends that work at Grainger. The benefit to that one is that you have a 65 gallon drum you can climb inside incase you need to hide from a bull, or maybe go over a waterfall. And I think one kit would absorb all of the motor oil from every one of the 30 jeeps going! I'd love to see the size of their fire extinguishers!!

2012jkfng702

Ok so here is what not to do when you first wake up in the morning! I put the windshield wipers up to clean the window then forgot that the banner needs to go above them :doh:!!! I'll re post a new pic on the second attempt, I'll try to do that one later in the evening after a :beer:
Way1.jpg

David1tontj

Ok so here is what not to do when you first wake up in the morning! I put the windshield wipers up to clean the window then forgot that the banner needs to go above them :doh:!!! I'll re post a new pic on the second attempt, I'll try to do that one later in the evening after a :beer:
View attachment 79877

If you were putting that on to meet the rubicon requirements, I'm not sure, but it may not be in the right place. I'm betting Eddie wants the prime real estate on your windshield, not just the bottom. Probably has something to do with all the jeeps being uniform for pictures?? You might check before sticking the next one on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you were putting that on to meet the rubicon requirements, I'm not sure, but it may not be in the right place. I'm betting Eddie wants the prime real estate on your windshield, not just the bottom. Probably has something to do with all the jeeps being uniform for pictures?? You might check before sticking the next one on.

No it doesn't matter where it is. MTG runs his on the bottom and did last year as well.

MTG

Caught the Bug
No it doesn't matter where it is. MTG runs his on the bottom and did last year as well.

Well in my defense I did manage to get it above the wipers. :cheesy:

My guess is Russ will have his there as well.

Edit: what is amazing is that I put this on the morning of the Rubicon run at the trailhead and 1) it's straight and 2) hasn't come off yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom