Hydro assist review

TheDuff

I would think a ram takes stress OFF the sector shaft, since it is assisting the steering box in turning the wheels, but that's just the conclusion I had come to in my short time reading about this topic:cool:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jerms

Yeah as far as it "holding up", it's doing exactly what I've expected. Handles on the road great. Again, it isn't robotic, my steering still returns to center. No leaks, no whining or such. It seems to be doing the job. I don't have problems turning or losing power when the rpms drop while on hard surfaces. Just one wheeling trip and it did great. My only complaint is that while coasting through a curve my esp comes in to play. I've temporarily turned it off and still over rides. I don't know...doesn't really bother me. Overall I love it. Most of my driving is back roads under 60mph that are curvy and honestly it feels very close to stock. As far as the sector shaft goes, makes sense to me that it takes off stress. The ram is doing a great deal of work to turn the 37s. Maybe someone else will chime in and speak of the sector shaft question...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Devallee

Yeah as far as it "holding up", it's doing exactly what I've expected. Handles on the road great. Again, it isn't robotic, my steering still returns to center. No leaks, no whining or such. It seems to be doing the job. I don't have problems turning or losing power when the rpms drop while on hard surfaces. Just one wheeling trip and it did great. My only complaint is that while coasting through a curve my esp comes in to play. I've temporarily turned it off and still over rides. I don't know...doesn't really bother me. Overall I love it. Most of my driving is back roads under 60mph that are curvy and honestly it feels very close to stock. As far as the sector shaft goes, makes sense to me that it takes off stress. The ram is doing a great deal of work to turn the 37s. Maybe someone else will chime in and speak of the sector shaft question...

That's what I needed to hear thank you. I've permanently disabled my esp since day one so that's not an issue. As long as everything else seems fine then I'm sold. About the sector shaft thing... Would the PSC system be any different? If not, I haven't heard anything negative about PSC so the sector shaft issue can't be that big a deal can it?

Sent from my Galaxy S37

Jerms

That's what I needed to hear thank you. I've permanently disabled my esp since day one so that's not an issue. As long as everything else seems fine then I'm sold. About the sector shaft thing... Would the PSC system be any different? If not, I haven't heard anything negative about PSC so the sector shaft issue can't be that big a deal can it?

Sent from my Galaxy S37

I don't see why any other assist would be any different.

Rebel JK

Even i can tell from the rigs i have seen, The ram attaches from axle to the tie rod and applies pressure directly to tie rod - transferred to knuckles reducing shear stress to the sector shaft. Am i missing something?

TheDuff

Even i can tell from the rigs i have seen, The ram attaches from axle to the tie rod and applies pressure directly to tie rod - transferred to knuckles reducing shear stress to the sector shaft. Am i missing something?

The only issue I could see are times when a tire is wedged or bound up on something and the ram is allowing you to force the tires to move, when normally they wouldn't be able to. In that kind of scenario, I could see the ram helping to cause a sector shaft failure. But in any normal wheeling or driving condition I believe the ram would be removing a lot of strain on the shaft.

jkjurny

The only issue I could see are times when a tire is wedged or bound up on something and the ram is allowing you to force the tires to move, when normally they wouldn't be able to. In that kind of scenario, I could see the ram helping to cause a sector shaft failure. But in any normal wheeling or driving condition I believe the ram would be removing a lot of strain on the shaft.

I'm definitely not a steering/ram assist expert, but this is what I had in my head when making my comment. That the power of the RAM can go both ways. Normally, all the power is to the steering, but some back force may make its way back to the sector shaft. My logic may be flawed though.

Rebel JK

I'm thinking the added pressure from the ram would be transmitted through knuckle to the axle u joints when locked, and that would be the next weak spot? The pressure applied back on the sector shaft through pitman arm should be minimal as the ram fluid is driven from the gearbox matching pitman throw. If installed correctly I see only a benefit Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom