Gonna beef up my d30 a little

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
lol and that is why no matter how much you build up a 30 or 44 there is always a weak point.

In truth, it's probably not that big of a deal when you're at an offroad park and always close to a parking lot, a trailer and a town but, when you're 200 miles in the middle of nowhere, it's hard not to think about weak points - at least for me anyway.

Bill S

From the sounds of it. I should have a good time going back to Moab with a rear lsd and a front d30 with gussets, sleeves and an Ox locker, on 35s! Last time I was open front and back on 33s. Can't wait.
Do what you can. Any improvements you install just make it easier. My advise is, drive the way your rig is equipped and don't be afraid to use a winch or straps. Enjoy the experience!

matt1171

For what it's worth - My D30 is gussetted with 4.88s and a lunchbox locker running 35s. Considering I wheel in Arkansas like you do at times, the locker has come in very handy with our more muddy terrain and slick rocks when it rains. It definitely makes a difference off-road and I have had no problems and no regrets.

Chevy Dave

For what it's worth - My D30 is gussetted with 4.88s and a lunchbox locker running 35s. Considering I wheel in Arkansas like you do at times, the locker has come in very handy with our more muddy terrain and slick rocks when it rains. It definitely makes a difference off-road and I have had no problems and no regrets.

That is good to know. I have friends and family in Newport/Batesville/Jonesboro area. Go down there for a couple weeks to visit and duck hunt each year and the mud and rocks we get into are crazy. Took Lucy bone stock last fall this was the result ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396581988.355709.jpg
Not bad for stock 225s haha
And I think with my stock 3.21s, 33s, lunchbox locker, gussets, and maybe chromos I'll be fine

KJ_CJtoJK

I have no lockers and have run a lot of trails out west over the past year. Have only strapped twice and that was this past trip in Utah.

I also have open diffs. The thing that has really amazed me is the brake lock differential technology. Running open differentials today is not like open diffs in the old CJ days. It is so amazing to see one wheel start to spin and then stop as the brake is automatically applied to the spinning tire forcing the other tire to start rotating. I'm surprised that this technology that is standard on all JK's is hardly advertised at all. I do not really see the need for limited slip differential with this technology (lockers yes for rock climbing, but not limited slip).

Chevy Dave

I also have open diffs. The thing that has really amazed me is the brake lock differential technology. Running open differentials today is not like open diffs in the old CJ days. It is so amazing to see one wheel start to spin and then stop as the brake is automatically applied to the spinning tire forcing the other tire to start rotating. I'm surprised that this technology that is standard on all JK's is hardly advertised at all. I do not really see the need for limited slip differential with this technology (lockers yes for rock climbing, but not limited slip).

I'm afraid I am not familiar with this. This is standard front and rear on a JK? Part of the TCS? Works in 4lo?

KJ_CJtoJK

I'm afraid I am not familiar with this. This is standard front and rear on a JK? Part of the TCS? Works in 4lo?

Yes it is part of the traction control system (TCS) and stays active in 4-lo. My brother who is a mechanic and still drives a CJ-5 is always amazed when he is spotting me on the trail and sees one tire start to spin and then stop and then other tire on the other side of the axle start pulling.

Here is a video showing it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnspBtA1HUMy

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
This thread has convinced me to not worry about a front locker for my D30 until it implodes and I get a D44 or better lol I'm still gonna gusset, truss, and skid the lower control arms along with 4.56 gears paired with 35's of some kind. I should be fine. I won't worry about lockers until I come to an obstacle that I absolutely cannot get up and over as is I have a winch and I'm not affraid to use it :clap2:

Thanks for the many differing opinions and tips to let me come to my own conclusion Eddie, Overlander, etc. :thumb:

Last edited:

Chevy Dave

Yes it is part of the traction control system (TCS) and stays active in 4-lo. My brother who is a mechanic and still drives a CJ-5 is always amazed when he is spotting me on the trail and sees one tire start to spin and then stop and then other tire on the other side of the axle start pulling.

Here is a video showing it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnspBtA1HUMy

I pulled up on a little side hill about a week ago to test this, truly amazed at how well it works. My buddy who was watching said one rear spun then as I was slowly giving it more juice he said it just acted like a posi. From the driver seat as I pulled the left front up on the wet grass it felt like I was about to just spin and spin then next thing you know I was moving forward again

OlllllllO instagram @lucythejeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has convinced me to not worry about a front locker for my D30 until it implodes and I get a D44 or better lol I'm still gonna gusset, truss, and skid the lower control arms along with 4.56 gears paired with 35's of some kind. I should be fine. I won't worry about lockers until I come to an obstacle that I absolutely cannot get up and over as is I have a winch and I'm not affraid to use it :clap2:

Thanks for the many differing opinions and tips to let me come to my own conclusion Eddie, Overlander, etc. :thumb:

In the end, it's always your money to spend however you see fit :yup:

JKDriver

Over the years I have been given a lot of good advice, some of which I ignored. I have been given some not so good advice, which I have taken. In the end, we all make our choices and live with the results.

I was told by some very knowledgeable people to ditch the Dana 30 early on. I chose to ignore them. I don't necessarily think that was a bad choice, since my Dana 30 has held up to the light Florida style wheeling I have done so far.

I was told not to drop money into the Dana30, which I also ignored. I wish I had listened to them and just saved the money I have spent upgrading the 30, because I would be a good way towards a good aftermarket set up by now.

So now I will be buying a good aftermarket set up (haven't decided on what yet) within the next year as part of upgrading my suspension for my future adventures. Although my brother thinks I should let him build me a full size axle,
since he can do all the work for free, and he loves doing that kind of stuff.

Here is my little money pit:
c90d7aea.jpg

b30f08c9.jpg

Sleeved, gusseted, trussed, 5:13's, and a True Trac. Chromeolly axles and Poly ball joints....and sporting some ugly welds! Hey I'm not the welder in the family...

Chevy Dave

Looks good to me lol.
Even if I do decide to build up the d30 it wouldn't be that extreme. Locker, diff cover, and chromos are all I would do. Gussets will be happening either way

JKDriver

Looks good to me lol.
Even if I do decide to build up the d30 it wouldn't be that extreme. Locker, diff cover, and chromos are all I would do. Gussets will be happening either way

I hear ya! If you just do trails, mild crawling and over landing stuff, and you are careful with the throttle a D30 can be fine. I don't think they are junk, just limited. The issue comes in that the JK with a good lift, tires, and such is extremely capable and we tend to like to push the envelope!

And I am as guilt as any one, but we also tend to address the appearance issues first, because we want our Jeeps to look the part. Look at me, I added front and rear bumpers, flat fenders, lift and 35's, before I addressed skids or axles. And I still haven't beefed up my roll bars. I think my next Jeep build will go much differently, because i will still have this one to wheel while I am working on it. I'll start with the less glamorous stuff....

Top Bottom