Telluride Colorado

MyJK

Wish I was going to be there at that time. I'm going to be there in June. I have been a few times and its a great place to hit the trails.

MrJ3sser

Try looking for some local Facebook groups and asking there. You might have more luck. I would post some links for you, but I believe it is against the forum rules.

jkuone

Dang man I'm going to be down there Aug, 21-24 to do some wheelin. Staying at the KOA in ouray:rock:

Flyer

I have gone the last two years- June/July timeframe. The local Colorado forums always have guys going there and I met some pretty cool Jeepers (and Toyota-ers) that way. Wranglerforum's Colorado sub-forum has some good guys who go there every year. I have met a few of them- good folks, and very helpful and fun. Alpine Route, Black Bear, Imogene, are excellent. There are many I have not been on.

Jackal01

The wife, my best friend and I are going to Durango/Ouray/Silverton/Telluride and that area June 13-30th. Backpacking some of it, Ouray RV Park cabin, Durango KOA.

MyJK

I'm on vacation in Ouray/Telluride area now. The trails still have a lot of snow and several are still closed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401718940.280689.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The trails should all be open by August. Be prepared to meet lots of folks from Texas. They're fun on the trail. I think some spend more time in the San Juans than Coloradoans, so they're savvy about the trails. Chat em up and they'll likely hand you a Lone Star. I'd say chances are above average you could meet a Wayalifer or two on your visit. Enjoy your trip to "The Jeep Capital of the World.":thumb:
My tip: For a first trail try Ophir Pass from Telluride to Silverton. It's easy and very scenic. Back in the day it was the walking mail route between the two mining towns. Mail carriers have it cush today compared to then! Soon after you turn onto the Ophir exit you'll pass through a stand of the biggest Aspen trees I've ever seen. Ophir was a Ghost town for many years, but several of the remaining cabins have been restored for summer use or even permanent homes. As you near the summit it's a bit of a shelf road, but fairly wide and safe. If you know where to look, there are the remains of a red '63 Wagoneer that rolled off the edge nearly 50 years ago.
There was a fair amount of snow in the San Juans this year so you could be treated to a scene like this at the Ophir summit.
Ophir Summit.jpg

CerOf

My wife and Jeep will be up there starting Aug 15th. I'll get there the 22nd for a week. If you run into. Silver JKU with Texas plates and a gobi, likely us. We have a house on the other side of the mountain (north) of lake city and northeast/east of ouray. Really close to silver jack resevoir.

A good easy trail is also Last Dollar Road from just a bit outside Ridgeway that goes to Telluride. Very pretty drive. Only requires 4-wd if it's raining.

It did snow a LOT, but melted down quick too. They've had a few late snows also. Anyone going mid-late July should have no issues. They seem to get out and plow/blade the trails pretty quick.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Jackal01

That is when we will be coming off the mountain from backpacking and riding trails starting around the 22nd or 23rd. There will be a Silver JKU also and mine, a black/green Grand Cherokee with KCs, winch and tire carrier. Both Texas plates.

Sent from my HTC One M8.

Jackal01

Last night in Amarillo just before a storm moved in. My buddy's JKUS and my WK2. Made it to Durango this morning.

Sent from my HTC One M8.

Attachments

• 1402804541295.jpg
    1402804541295.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 208

rlew0083

my wife and jeep will be up there starting aug 15th. I'll get there the 22nd for a week. If you run into. Silver jku with texas plates and a gobi, likely us. We have a house on the other side of the mountain (north) of lake city and northeast/east of ouray. Really close to silver jack resevoir.

A good easy trail is also last dollar road from just a bit outside ridgeway that goes to telluride. Very pretty drive. Only requires 4-wd if it's raining.

It did snow a lot, but melted down quick too. They've had a few late snows also. Anyone going mid-late july should have no issues. They seem to get out and plow/blade the trails pretty quick.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

lucky.................

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403488508.486805.jpg
This was June 1st if this helps any at a ranger station. I'm a few weeks behind on posts. I had planned on doing Ophir Pass, had to take long way aroundend up running Yankee Basin out of Ouray ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403489007.479513.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403489049.904451.jpg

O|||||||O
JK🇺🇸

Top Bottom