Question about Floor Jacks and Stands...

Ldogg

I am planning on installing my 2.5" Lift on friday, and I need to pickup a floor jack and stands to do the install. I am looking at the Craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jack and their 3 ton hi lift jack stands. the jack will go up to 15" and the stands will go up to 21" This should suit my needs correct? I had also looked at their 3ton floor jack, but I don't think I need that, plus it's 100 pounds, and I would prefer something lighter to move around easier. what about a bottle jack under the axle tubes to get it up on the stands (doing each side one at a time), and then using it to support the diff while installing the kit? that seems like a pain since you lift each side and then put the stand under it, but would it work?

Thanks!
Larry

BlackRockBurner

Go for a taller floor jack, and buy 4 jack stands. Harbor Freight has decent sales, I picked up a 21" floor jack and stands for under $100.

Ldogg

I see they have a 3 ton jack that goes up to 19 3/4. That should be good enough right? It's $90 bux. Their jack stands online don't seem to be that tall though. I do see a set of 6 ton ones that will go up to 23 3/4" for $50 bux.

Does that sound like it will work?

Ldogg

I may splurge and get the 3 ton aluminum one that will go up to 19 1/4" which would be almost 10" higher then the diff to begin with. I think that should work, and those 6 ton jack stands are on sale at $40 bux. Guess I am heading over there tomorrow.

Ldogg

Well I just saw a coupon from them for a 3ton steel low profile for $83 bux with a 20" height. It's 77 pounds but I will take that and save the hundred bux over the billet aluminum one.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have the 3 ton, 6 ton and 12 ton jack stands. I use the 12 ton if I need to support the frame and the 6 ton if I'm supporting the axles. I have have a couple of floor jacks from harbor freight. I have the 3 ton and the 3 ton low profile. The low profile one lifts higher then the regular.

Ldogg

I have the 3 ton, 6 ton and 12 ton jack stands. I use the 12 ton if I need to support the frame and the 6 ton if I'm supporting the axles. I have have a couple of floor jacks from harbor freight. I have the 3 ton and the 3 ton low profile. The low profile one lifts higher then the regular.

I see that, kinda odd but whatever. It's on sale at $83 bux and I will have to look for the 12 ton stands.

rdreng

Just installed my EVO Enforcer lift several weeks ago. I had the jack stands adjusted to 25 inches on the frame (each side). I used 20 ton jack stands designed to hold RV's. I looked at the Harbor Freight website. Go for the 12 ton jacks stands, as mentioned. To get to 25 inches, the adjustable part of the jack stand will only be extended about half way. This is what you want, it will provide more stability. Plus the bigger the jack stands usually have a larger footprint on the ground (adding more stability). Plan ahead. Your going to need to drop your axle low enough to get the old springs out and the new springs in, but still have enough clearance under the axle for a jack to fit so you can raise the axle back up. You may not need to go to a frame height 25 inches (that was just for my situation), not sure how long your springs are (the Enforcer springs were long,,,). You can do some simple measurements on your Jeep to figure this out.

Ideally, its nice to have two jacks. See if you can borrow one from a friend or neighbor. That way you can lift each side of the axle simultaneously to lift the Jeep and then place the jack stands under the frame at once. Make sure your jacks reach up high enough for your desired frame level. If they don't you can build some wood platforms. Remember to block the wheels too.

Ldogg

Thanks guys!

Bought their 3ton low profile that goes up to 19" on sale and the 12 ton jacks that go up to 30". Also got a few other things..... Gotta love harbor freight.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395945703.093777.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395945714.771648.jpg

Top Bottom