Cobra 29 tuning help needed!

noroad

When the Mic is not plugged in or has a fault you will not hear any sound... just another place to look, maybe try another mic if you have one.

I have two cobra mic's one wouldnt even make the light go from green to red! I will make sure that it is all the way plugged in. Do all the mics work for all models?

I have two cobra mic's one wouldnt even make the light go from green to red! I will make sure that it is all the way plugged in. Do all the mics work for all models?

I do not no for sure, but I think brand to brand would be ok. Might have to consult the mighty Google on that

noroad

I do not no for sure, but I think brand to brand would be ok. Might have to consult the mighty Google on that

So i just messed with it a bit and got some noise it was the GATE was turned all the way up! But when i tuned the radio the meter didnt go really that high maybe a 1, is that ok or does the antenna need to be tuned more!

So i just messed with it a bit and got some noise it was the GATE was turned all the way up! But when i tuned the radio the meter didnt go really that high maybe a 1, is that ok or does the antenna need to be tuned more!

I am by no means a expert here and am hoping someone with more knowledge chimes in, But the way I understand it is you need to:

Cal your SWR on channel 1 and 40
If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.

If they are the same and the SWR is below 1.5 you should be good to go.

noroad

I am by no means a expert here and am hoping someone with more knowledge chimes in, But the way I understand it is you need to:

Cal your SWR on channel 1 and 40
If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.

If they are the same and the SWR is below 1.5 you should be good to go.

Looks like im good to go then just need to find someone to test it out on lol!

GraniteCrystal

First let me say that I'm no expert with CB radios. I didn't even know the first thing about them until I got a Jeep. I honestly don't have the first clue to tuning the CB radio. So can you guys help me?

I have the CB hooked up to the battery and grounded on a bolt near the passenger door. There is a 25ft coax cable from the CB to the Firestik 2 antenna on the tail gate. The antenna is mounted on the stock tire carrier. At first I didn't ground the antenna so I threw something together to try different grounding locations.

For some reason I keep getting the antenna warning sign. :grayno: All the other radio checks pass.

Here's a picture of how it's mounted.

gTPaIBK.jpg

Any suggestions because I just have no idea... :idontknow:

I know this is old, but looks like you did the same mount I'm doing. My stock tire won't fit on with the cable coming out the bottom like that. Did you have that trouble? How did you get your tire to fit?

trailless

Caught the Bug
I know this is old, but looks like you did the same mount I'm doing. My stock tire won't fit on with the cable coming out the bottom like that. Did you have that trouble? How did you get your tire to fit?

It's actually coming out of the bottom of the mount and wasn't in the way of the spare. I just put the spare back on like normal, no interference at all.

Now I don't have that mount and have the antenna mounted on the corner armor.

Draconianwinter

One never ground the antenna like that. Take one of the bolts out of the mounting bracket then slide the ground wire on it. Then bolt it back in. What type of coax is that? It looks very thin and maybe just the picture but also looks white? You want a a RG-58au cable. Also keep your cable preferably at 18' though due to vehicle and mounting location if you need more make sure it is in a length of 3' increments. So 18, 21, 24 like that. The radio wave arches every 3' is why you want it in those lengths. As far as the stuff connector goes any trick stop has them. Truck spec part number is ts-105ad or the ts-105adt. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bootlover101

Did ya ever get your radio all set up and antenna tuned? I've had CB's & Jeeps in my life since l was a boy around 1974. I'm good at hooking up CB's in Jeeps. I run a radio shack USB/LSB radio on a power mic with 18' of coax hooked to a 5' tune able tip fire stick. Easy 1.1 SWR. Let me know how l can help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Thanks for the resurrection! I got it working fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Lol yeah idk what the hell was going on with my app last night, but when this post popped up in saw that picture and never even looked at the posted date. After though I noticed it was doing it often. Just updated the app so maybe everything will work properly now lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom