Anybody use back-up camera

pastorwug

i do like where you put your camera though i stayed away from the idea cause i figured it would get ripped off wheeling thats a good idea though

Yes, having it high saves from having to replace it every time you go offroad, and the license plate position would have left out the passenger side of the video.

budmanm3

I use the Lockpick from Coastal Electronics which among other things allows 3 camera inputs and displayed on the Jeep Navi radio. I have one camera mounted in the spare tire and another on the front bumper. The rear camera comes on when reverse is selected and I only use the front cam when offroad. When I'm using the front camera I can select it for auto on and it is activated when drive is selected until 10 mph is reached and it turns off or it can be selected to stay on while the vehicle is running. The rear camera is great for backing up as the view out the back is mostly blocked by the spare tire (35"). This camera was approximately $25 ordered from walmart online, not great quality pic but good enough to see what is behind the vehicle. The front is a better quality cam with 700 plus lines of video and great video quality found at Fry Electronics, designed for home security. This camera is useful off road for the times when all you can see is sky and hood through the windshield. I have it set up so it displays the space between the front bumper and where the view is lost below the hood on flat ground. I do not have a need to record so there is no provision.

Plus one on the lockpick.. I only have one camera for now.. I picked up one on Amazon for 30 bucks or so, and it works perfect. Night time isnt the greatest views, but during the days its good. I will eventually add the other cameras just for the heck of it. Im sure with the right camera the night vision would be 10 x better, maybe I need more lighting back there.. hmmm :doh:

dwvninety

We don't have one yet but we plan on setting one up with the go-pro system. Here's why. With tablets you can hook up multiple camera's at multiple angles and film together. With Adobe, you can then organize your shots and pic the best ones for editing. You can slap one on the roof, one on the back, and one on the side with jaws. When stopping for harder rock climbs you can have your other two cameras working, while you take the one off the side and set it up on a tripod. For multiple arial shots you can mount another camera to DJI. Is it expensive? Yes. Does it require alot of extra do-hickies like tablets, otter boxes and grips, a full adobe software system, a good phone, multiple batteries, and access to internet hot spots to dump your footage? Yes. But if you really love making videos or getting awesome shutter shots its definitely a great way to go. :) :)

Important Side note: My husband does the driving 98% of the time. I would find a dedicated partner to take care of this kind of stuff if you want to go this way because your eyes are never on the road and it always takes too hands.

I did that the last time I was wheeling in the Canyonlands. I use GoPro Hero 3+ camera's. The WiFi first of all sucks the battery fast, I use dual battery. There is also a very pronounced lag while streaming the video on a phone or tablet. If you have the setup I have expect less than 4 hrs of recording with the dual battery. If you turn of the WiFi you get better battery life at the expense of not seeing the video being streamed to your phone/tablet.

liljohn850

Anybody have a recommendation on any of these amazon backup cameras?? Thinking about this one...

I have a flush mount one mounted inside the drop hitch ( i dont use a trailer, ever) and I have used these amazon cameras on my last 3 or 4 cars and I have only had one "bad" camera. it woeked, it just wasnt what I ordered.

sean.m.adams33

I have a flush mount one mounted inside the drop hitch ( i dont use a trailer, ever) and I have used these amazon cameras on my last 3 or 4 cars and I have only had one "bad" camera. it woeked, it just wasnt what I ordered.

Awesome. I'm gonna order it today. Only $15 if it doesn't work out.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
With the 430N in mind, does anyone know if there are camera inputs are is a harness required. Is the lockpick your only option? I don't really need any of the other features of the lockpick..I just want a backup camera. The AEV kit is pricey - if an input harness is needed, anyone know of alternatives?

Flyer

I have a 430n. I did not want the Lockpick- too many reported problems with it. I just bought a good camera, a harness, and adapter (all from Amazon) and I think I should be good to go. I have a friend who is a Jeep Tech who will help me install it and then Starscan it to activate the reverse camera functionality. I will have to drill a hole in my bumper to install it. I didn't particularly want to do that but have come to terms with it. No big deal.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have a 430n. I did not want the Lockpick- too many reported problems with it. I just bought a good camera, a harness, and adapter (all from Amazon) and I think I should be good to go. I have a friend who is a Jeep Tech who will help me install it and then Starscan it to activate the reverse camera functionality. I will have to drill a hole in my bumper to install it. I didn't particularly want to do that but have come to terms with it. No big deal.

I did all of that and I spliced to the backup taillight and the ground. But I'm not getting a picture. I'm just getting blurry lines... anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Flyer

There is a lot of detailed info I read on a couple of other forums but I am wondering if your Starscan worked properly. There were some long threads about this. I found those threads via Google but I saved this one and copied some info:

Vehicle VIN must be updated with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable system functionality. Using
the DealerCONNECT website and the StarSCAN diagonstic tool, complete the procedure below:

1. Log on to https://dealerconnect.chrysler.com
2. In the “Vehicle Option” screen under the “Global Claims System” category in the “Service” tab, enter the vehicle VIN
and add the sales code XAC (Park View Rear Back-Up Camera) as a “Dealer Installed Option”.
3. Confirm that the new sales code has been successfully added to the VIN.
With the StarSCAN diagnostic tool connected to both the internet (via Ethernet port or wireless connection) and the
vehicle, follow the steps below:
4. Using the StarScan select the VEHICLE PREPARATION and then select RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION.
5. Follow the step by step instructions on the StarSCAN to complete the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera vehicle
configuration.
6. When the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera Vehicle Configuration is complete, go to the Validation Process to
verify that the vehicle has been updated.

Sorry I can't be of more help, especially if you have a wiring issue.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

which adapter?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Sorry I can't be of more help, especially if you have a wiring issue.

I'm pretty sure the dealer did the scan correctly. When I out the Jeep in reverse the screen goes black for a second and has check entire surroundings.

I did try plugging just the camera end, before the adapter, to a screen and got the same picture. I either wired it wrong or got a defective camera...

trailless

Caught the Bug
It started working all of a sudden. I thought I had wired everything correctly. Don't know why it just started working though...

1412958510424.jpg

1412958523739.jpg

EDIT: So the camera starts acting up again. I think its a bad splice for either the power or ground.....

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty sure the dealer did the scan correctly. When I out the Jeep in reverse the screen goes black for a second and has check entire surroundings.

I did try plugging just the camera end, before the adapter, to a screen and got the same picture. I either wired it wrong or got a defective camera...

Awesome, thanks for the info. I wonder if a starscan is required with the 430N to enable it beyond the harness. Anyone know?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Yes, you need the scan/flash. The 430N won't go into the backup camera function when you put the jeep into reverse without a flash.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Yes, you need the scan/flash. The 430N won't go into the backup camera function when you put the jeep into reverse without a flash.

That really pisses me off that they make stuff like that require a visit to someone with a starscan. Most dealers usually want a ridiculous amount of money to use it.

Top Bottom