DynoMax 2012-Up JK Evolution Competition Exhaust System Installation Write-Up

leaky10

Great write up, got me through my install yesterday. The stock exhaust hangers are a pain on the ass. I recommend greasing the shit out of them. WD40 was just not enough on mine. Sounds amazing, really gives the Jeep life.

Last edited:

HoosierWolf

Forgive my seemingly endless ignorance but does installing this also change the exhaust enough to resolve the DS issues with a lift on a '12 or '13 JKU or would exhaust spacers still be advised?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forgive my seemingly endless ignorance but does installing this also change the exhaust enough to resolve the DS issues with a lift on a '12 or '13 JKU or would exhaust spacers still be advised?

No need to apologize for your question, it's a good one and the answer to it is no. If you have a 2012 or newer, this kit will not address your front drive shaft making contact with the "exhaust cross over" when lifted and/or when running shocks that are too long. For this, Dynomax does make a different kit to address it and that's what you would want.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Just to add a note, if you have a 2012+ and use the aFe "Y" pipe and have a double cardan driveshaft, you need to wrap the "Y" pipe so the heat won't melt the grease out of your u-joints. Been there and done that.

Last edited:

Beyrgut

It works for the '13 model but I question the step to cut off 2.5" from the intermediate pipe. I did and the front seam on the muffler sits roughly 1/8" from the cross-member and at certain resonance I can hear it rubbing. I went ahead and ordered a new intermediate pipe and will check it's fitment before cutting this time. I am curious if Eddie cut the one on the Rubicat as it sits aft of the offending cross-member and the aft hanger sits differently than it does on my rig. Overall love the system though just a little install kink that could just be installer error, just means I get to tinker more :D.

For reference the front seam on my muffler is sitting where Eddie's finger is in Pic 15.

Here is a couple pics of how close it is on my install, new pipe should be here Monday.
DSC00826.jpg DSC00827.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, what you see in my write-up is all that I did - need I say, I didn't cut the exhaust.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Is there any drone when cruising?

YUP! Only time you wont hear this exhaust is when you completely let off the gas pedel and coast. Other than that, it always is making a humming noise. I havent decided if I like or hate it yet :thinking:

Depends if you mean drone in a negative way. Is is louder than stock? Yes. But you took out the resonator and replace the muffler. I happen to like it. It is a little raspy when cold, but the stock set up was raspy when cold too.

If you are sensitive to loud exhaust you should probably skip the mod. I was beating the crap out of my stock muffler and this solution is great!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I use my rig as a daily and also transport my daughter in it. I don't mind a hum, but a constant annoying pitch would be tiresome. I have a dynomax VT currently and while it does indeed have 0 drone on the highway (drone is not a hum) I don't care for the sound and haven't been too happy with it. The quality is also pretty poor but I guess that's the game. I guess I was used to all the parts on my sports cars which had far superior quality and construction. Maybe I need to spend a little more money but I would love to get a quality exhaust that has a nice tone which is louder than stock but doesn't drone on the highway.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I use my rig as a daily and also transport my daughter in it. I don't mind a hum, but a constant annoying pitch would be tiresome. I have a dynomax VT currently and while it does indeed have 0 drone on the highway (drone is not a hum) I don't care for the sound and haven't been too happy with it. The quality is also pretty poor but I guess that's the game. I guess I was used to all the parts on my sports cars which had far superior quality and construction. Maybe I need to spend a little more money but I would love to get a quality exhaust that has a nice tone which is louder than stock but doesn't drone on the highway.

My kids haven't complained. But then again, they just like riding in the jeep. :thumb:

StrizzyChris

My girlfriend falls asleep now every time we drive for more than 10 minutes...its like taking an infant for a ride! I guess the drone works :idontknow:

rtguy1

My girlfriend falls asleep now every time we drive for more than 10 minutes...its like taking an infant for a ride! I guess the drone works :idontknow:

if we are driving for more than ten minutes, my girlfriend aint sleeping....lol i make sure she is a busy little bee:brows:

NAUJK

So I have couple questions about this system... I have heard that it is not recommended for a 2 Door? That it would cause problems of some sort. How many of you are running this on a 2 door rig, and were and are there any complications you have found with it running it over time and with the install? Or if you know of a similar system that works with the 2 door that would be cool too.

:beer: Cheers

StrizzyChris

So I have couple questions about this system... I have heard that it is not recommended for a 2 Door? That it would cause problems of some sort. How many of you are running this on a 2 door rig, and were and are there any complications you have found with it running it over time and with the install? Or if you know of a similar system that works with the 2 door that would be cool too.

:beer: Cheers

There was some discussion on this not being compatible with mounting it on a 2d. It was due to the website info being incorrect, but dynomax made a comment that this will work just fine on a 2door. Was that the "problems" were you told about?

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Top Bottom