Switching from tj to yj

Texasjeep01

Might want to sell my tj and get a yj. I will have about 6k to do whatever I want. The plan is to lift it and put 37's. Since I am unfamiliar with yjs can y'all give me a list of what to buy what not to buy and what to do and what no to do. I want to see if I will be able to make it nice with 6k. Thanks so much y'all.

David1tontj

Agree with ^ post. Why would you want to get rid if the coil springs and go backwards with the technology?

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

It's cheaper for upgrades and it's in better condition than my tj right now

Seems like a good enough reason!
I am not a yj guy, but here are a couple things I would do to any leaf sprung rig-

Shackle reversal- helps with handling, and is just way better.

Spring over conversion- gets you about 5.5" of lift and you keep your stock spring rate. Also gets you more ground clearance! 😁👍

While you are doing your spring over, get rid of the dana 35 if it has one.. Do not put any money into a d35!! I learned the hard way despite what I had read.

Do a slip yoke eliminator on your t case..

All of these things could/should be done at the same time to prevent buying things twice..

Good luck and post some pictures!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

dex3361

Ford. 8.8 explorer disc brake axle. SYE and CV shaft for the rear. Locker at least in the rear if not front and rear. Cable disconnect for the front axle lock to do away with the vacuum actuator.

Brent W

Definitely a spring over and shackle reversal. If your considering replacing the springs look at Alcan Spring in Grand Junction CO. Their springs are custom made and are magical. They can make you a set of springs with a spherical flex joint in the main eye that allows for incredible flex from a leaf spring set up. Here is a pic of my 84 cj with there springs in the front. these springs are the YJ spring width. They allow me to use all of the 14 in Fox shocks. Jeep 1.jpg Jeep 2.jpg

jeepwayoflife

Coil spring suspension, more comfortable, more aftermarket support... bla bla bla

I would stick with the tj. You may be getting money with the trade but you get an older jeep that will likely require maintenance or repair sooner and it will be less capable than the one you have. Unless there is a problem with the tj, I wouldn't sell it. I can say with confidence that yj's were the least offroad capable jeep from the factory. That 6k will go real quick when you have to swap in better axles, Regear, and beef up the suspension.

WOKNROX

Might want to sell my tj and get a yj. I will have about 6k to do whatever I want. The plan is to lift it and put 37's. Since I am unfamiliar with yjs can y'all give me a list of what to buy what not to buy and what to do and what no to do. I want to see if I will be able to make it nice with 6k. Thanks so much y'all.

Just make sure you get a 91-95 Yj.
Another thing to remember is no matter what jeep you buy into ..Tj ,Jk or a Yj, if your going to do some hard wheelin your gonna swap suspension, axles and everything else it's gonna take to make "any jeep" fit the bill. So like it or not when all the dust settles the 91 -95 YJ's are the best platform to build on. I know this doesn't sit well with others be after you do the math on the buy in and all parts needed to build a solid rig...it's a no brain er.
Good luck on your endeavor bud.

suicideking

How much does the average spring over conversion cost?

I'm also looking to sell my JKU and buy a TJ, LJ, or even a YJ. I've seen a lot of decent YJ's in the $6 - $10K range whereas a decent TJ is around $15+. The wheelbase is exactly the same. For me would be a matter of how much for the spring conversion, convert to automatic (if not already), possible engine replacement on a YJ. Other than that, just concerned with the rest of the repairs that would be needed on a YJ.

Seems like both TJ and YJ can use the same axles. Can stretch either one. Less electronics in a YJ which could be good.

:beer:

suicideking

Just make sure you get a 91-95 Yj.
Another thing to remember is no matter what jeep you buy into ..Tj ,Jk or a Yj, if your going to do some hard wheelin your gonna swap suspension, axles and everything else it's gonna take to make "any jeep" fit the bill. So like it or not when all the dust settles the 91 -95 YJ's are the best platform to build on. I know this doesn't sit well with others be after you do the math on the buy in and all parts needed to build a solid rig...it's a no brain er.
Good luck on your endeavor bud.

While we're at it Steve, post a pic of your badass YJ. :D

WOKNROX

How much does the average spring over conversion cost?

I'm also looking to sell my JKU and buy a TJ, LJ, or even a YJ. I've seen a lot of decent YJ's in the $6 - $10K range whereas a decent TJ is around $15+. The wheelbase is exactly the same. For me would be a matter of how much for the spring conversion, convert to automatic (if not already), possible engine replacement on a YJ. Other than that, just concerned with the rest of the repairs that would be needed on a YJ.

Seems like both TJ and YJ can use the same axles. Can stretch either one. Less electronics in a YJ which could be good.

:beer:

I wouldn't use the stock axles. If you picked up a Yj for around the same amount of money as you'd save from buying a Tj you could build a nice set of ford 9 inch axles front and rear. These would handle tires up to 42's or 44's ( I'm not saying you have to go that big) on a Yj. Or if you don't want to go that route you could build a set of Boneyard D44's that'll handle 37's all day long for less money.

Last edited:

Texasjeep01

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409083277.254990.jpg keeping y'all updated. Ended up buying a tj that fits the bill. Has both d44s with ARB lockers and chromoly shafts and sleeved and gussetted and regeared running on 35s. I think they were the fully built G2 axles. Upgraded sound with sub and warn winch and had 86k miles. Got it for 11k

suicideking

View attachment 97345 keeping y'all updated. Ended up buying a tj that fits the bill. Has both d44s with ARB lockers and chromoly shafts and sleeved and gussetted and regeared running on 35s. I think they were the fully built G2 axles. Upgraded sound with sub and warn winch and had 86k miles. Got it for 11k

Very nice! You didn't happen to get it from someone in CA did you? Looks familiar.

metaldemon

I am looking to get a YJ from Texas where my son is stationed. I have a 2012 JK, but am not happy with the CANBUS system. The only issues I have had are electronic. At least with a YJ you can delete anything electronic. Much better for an old mechanic.

Top Bottom