35's on a 35?

Yorkie

so im really torn im finally getting ready to start making some purchases for the jeep and i really am in love with the way 35s look. kicker is i have a d35 in the back and i know its not the strongest and it would be alot smarter to go 33 until i get a d44 or some stronger axle and then go up. but what am i really looking at if i went 35s? is it even worth it?

99 tj 4.0 i6 manual geard to 3.73

Last edited:

pvanweelden

You would be looking at something like this at some point
1397088502232.jpg
All depends on how heavy your foot is

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

^ Not me, a friend of mine was replacing the rear axle on that jeep. we still aren't sure what caused it to grenade.
Here's one I watched grenade from a heavy foot and wheeling 34's
1397089193939.jpg

pvanweelden

Yes, unfortunately tj d44's are somewhat rare, because only the towing package included them, lj's came stock with them. Another option is a Ford 8.8. You can get one with 4.10's which is a great match up with the 4.0 and 35's.
But then your next problem becomes the Dana low pinion 30 :mad:
Good news is Xj's had a HP30 and it's a straight swap. Stay away from 1999-2001 Xj's as some had the lp30.

Roblaza

it really depends how hard you are on it. I've seen people grenade their 35's on 33 inch tires because they're too hard on the skinny pedal and they're bouncing and spinning on every obstacle they attempt...on the flipside I've got a couple friends that have been wheeling the 35 on 35 in tires for years and have never had an issue at all. how you drive it plays a huge part it whether or not you'll blow it up

David1tontj

so im really torn im finally getting ready to start making some purchases for the jeep and i really am in love with the way 35s look. kicker is i have a d35 in the back and i know its not the strongest and it would be alot smarter to go 33 until i get a d44 or some stronger axle and then go up. but what am i really looking at if i went 35s? is it even worth it?

I bought mine with a 35 in the rear and bfg 37s. (More like big 35s)

I knew it was weak, but wanted to see how weak...

It broke the first 2 times I took it out. It didn't get a third chance.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

jeepwayoflife

Super 35 kit with locker will safely run 35" tires on the Dana 35. It comes with 30spline chromoly shafts and a full case locker to match. This technically makes it stronger than a stock Dana 44 other than the ring gear but that isn't usually the problem anyway.

Otherwise look at a ford 8.8 or a Dana 44 from a tj. I would get one from a non Rubicon tj if you can.

Yorkie

Super 35 kit with locker will safely run 35" tires on the Dana 35. It comes with 30spline chromoly shafts and a full case locker to match. This technically makes it stronger than a stock Dana 44 other than the ring gear but that isn't usually the problem anyway.

Otherwise look at a ford 8.8 or a Dana 44 from a tj. I would get one from a non Rubicon tj if you can.

I'm on the look for a d44 just to make install time quicker

CerOf

Does the super 35 kit eliminate the c-clips? That's the other problem with the 35. Harder to limp off a trail when it lets go.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

jeepwayoflife

Does the super 35 kit eliminate the c-clips? That's the other problem with the 35. Harder to limp off a trail when it lets go.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

They do have a c-clip eliminator kit but the standard kit does keep the c-clips. Not a weak point but as you said, it makes it a pain to limp back to camp. That being said I know some guys run a super 35 on 35's out in Johnson valley with no problems.

I was in this same boat a couple of years ago and I swapped in a Dana 44 and locked it with 4.56 gears for a total of about $1,600.

sm31

I've been quite happy with my setup for a couple of years now...

I bought my jeep with ARB's front & rear on d30 & 35 axles. I wouldn't recommend investing in such a thing but since I already had the lockers I decided to drop a little more coin & put Superior 27 spline chromoly shafts in. While I'm only on 33" MTR-K's, they are on the tall side (compared to some anyway). I am not crazy with the gas pedal but I'm not afraid of it either... and I'm on trails quite regularly.

I've got a high degree of confidence in my rear axle as it sits now. A move to 35" KM2's would not be an issue as they are virtually the same size as my current tires. I don't know if this helps but I wanted to share my D35 "success story". :)
Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

66bmx6

This was exactly what i needed to find, i have been wondering this myself, as i am going up a few, and on to 33s in the spring. Good things to think about here, I appreciate the help.

raiderz628

I have 33's on mine and love it with the 35's are you going to go hard enough to upgrade to axel to a dana 44 or 60?

Schaef81

Even when you upgrade to a full case locker and upgrade spline count the axle still has a tendency to flex because of the weak axle tubes...

66bmx6

Whats your oppinion on 35s on a LJ, you got the D44 in the back but not up front? I want to got 35 just not nsure if it can handle it. any feed back would be apprecated

raiderz628

Super 35 kit?

Where can you buy a super 35 kit? I have the dana 35 in the rear and am torn on what to due to upgrade. Probably wait until it breaks but it is working good so far have only been stuck once but was really wanting to put in a locker.
Thanks

Top Bottom