Spotter and driver basics

JKWrang

Also, good, mutually understood spotting signals are a must. Crossed closed fists overhead might work for some of the vets in the crowd, but maybe not for be recognized as STOP by a new driver.

Good post NoRoad!!

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Great info and break down of both parties responsibilities. I'd like to add a couple things not yet mentioned that I feel aid in learning and alleviate frustrations. When a driver requests a spotter its a really good idea during their "driver meeting" to explain to the spotter what line they plan on taking, ie..I'd like my drivers side wheels here, i want to turn here, etc. Nothing is more frustrating than walking the trail and deciding which line you are going to take to only have the spotter not take you where you were planning. Also if you are spotting for lesser experienced or intimidated drivers its good to walk the trail with them and explain line selection and where you plan to have them go. This will help them learn and make decisions on their own rather than always relying on others to get them through. Also I do agree I hate when I look out my windshield and see a spotter I didn't ask for telling me to go somewhere I don't plan on going. I've ignored my fare share of untrusted, unrequested spotters. If you don't trust your spotter ask for another. As a driver if you are unsure of the correct line or intimidated by an obstacle just because no one else has asked to be spotted doesn't mean you can't ask. No shame in asking for assistance, especially if safety could be jeopardized. Hope you don't mind me adding this bit of info as I find it helpful.

noroad

Great info and break down of both parties responsibilities. I'd like to add a couple things not yet mentioned that I feel aid in learning and alleviate frustrations. When a driver requests a spotter its a really good idea during their "driver meeting" to explain to the spotter what line they plan on taking, ie..I'd like my drivers side wheels here, i want to turn here, etc. Nothing is more frustrating than walking the trail and deciding which line you are going to take to only have the spotter not take you where you were planning. Also if you are spotting for lesser experienced or intimidated drivers its good to walk the trail with them and explain line selection and where you plan to have them go. This will help them learn and make decisions on their own rather than always relying on others to get them through. Also I do agree I hate when I look out my windshield and see a spotter I didn't ask for telling me to go somewhere I don't plan on going. I've ignored my fare share of untrusted, unrequested spotters. If you don't trust your spotter ask for another. As a driver if you are unsure of the correct line or intimidated by an obstacle just because no one else has asked to be spotted doesn't mean you can't ask. No shame in asking for assistance, especially if safety could be jeopardized. Hope you don't mind me adding this bit of info as I find it helpful.

No not at all this was a place for people to add comments and hand on stories to help the newbies out! thanks for adding

jesse3638

Hooked
Boston strong at fenway
View attachment 80395

Yeah I had the pleasure of catching a 3 game home stand against the Yanks at Fenway last year. Best baseball experience of my life! It was awesome to walk around that town (I know its a city but it feels like a town) and see all the support. Its evident everywhere. Can't wait to go back and do it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom