Future Mods: Regear

silverjk11

Hey guys, I've been reading and lurking for quite a while. Learned a ton about JK's. Anyhow, I bought my 2011 JK last September with 17k the 3.8L with a 6 spd. It is a sport with 3.21 gears. It already had a rough country 2.5" BB with shock extensions. It currently has 33 inch tires on it. It is my daily driver. I haven't really wheeled or taken any trails with it yet besides one. I love the jeep and having a soft top in TN is awesome.

Now to the point. I want to start planning ahead with the mods I want to do to my jeep. I do want to probably do a regear first. 6th gear is obsolete right now to me, I never use it. We have so many hills around here I just don't waste my time. The biggest tire I will EVER run is a 35. I don't see myself ever going to 37's, not as practical for me not do I want the expense. For what we have in East TN, 35's will be fine. That being said, according to the gear chart, I think 4.10's would be a good compromise for me as this rig is on the road 90% of the time. I understand a lot of people dismiss this size because they always say you if you want to go bigger you're stuck. I also understand that you need a new carrier for the front Dana 30. I plan on keeping the diffs open for the time being since the JK has the brake locking diff. That would cover most of what I would ever do. I also plan on doing the swap possibly by myself with the help of a very qualified mechanic friend. So what all would I need for this swap, and where is the best place to buy?

Other mods I'll end up doing will probably doing will be stubbing the stock front bumper and mounting a winch inside of it. Removing and maybe replacing the rear bumper. When I go to 35's I plan on chopping the stock fenders. I also will probably remove the stock rear spare and get a ramp stamp. I plan on buying a full size spare that I will keep at the house unless wheeling, then it can go in the back.

I welcome any suggestions for any suspension upgrades that y'all suggest. I don't mind piecing together my own stuff together. I will upgrade shocks at some point, besides any linkages or things y'all recommend.

Sorry to be so long winded, but here are some pics. Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397682787.596130.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397682806.978144.jpg

silverjk11

4.88's would be best with the 3.8L turd under the hood.

I'm thinking maybe 4.56's now the more I look. Maybe a lucnhbox locker up front. I'm kinda torn on that though. We rarely have snow here, but I don't want a lunch box to strand me from going places. I guess I could always leave it in 2wd right? Any input is greatly appreciated!

JDDK

I run 33s. just got my gears dropped to 4.88s. makes a big difference in quickness. after my accident My insurance paid for a new Tera30 axle, the gears and a trutrac LSD in the front. no cost to me and for 33-35s, its beefier than what I will put it through ever.

Rayz

not sure why everyone thinks the 3.8 is a turd-just put 35's w/stock 3.73's recalibrated the speedo and shift points and it runs great- no lack of power issues imo but then I don't hot-rod it around either-and I live in the mountains
so...unless you plan on adding a crap-ton of weight, 4.10's shouldn't be that bad...jmo...2.5 in a yj w/ 33's-now theres a definition of a turd!

silverjk11

not sure why everyone thinks the 3.8 is a turd-just put 35's w/stock 3.73's recalibrated the speedo and shift points and it runs great- no lack of power issues imo but then I don't hot-rod it around either-and I live in the mountains
so...unless you plan on adding a crap-ton of weight, 4.10's shouldn't be that bad...jmo...2.5 in a yj w/ 33's-now theres a definition of a turd!

I'm torn, the lowest gears I would ever go would be 4.56's. U don't think there is a huge difference between 4.10 and 4.56, and 4.10 cost more.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
because you have a 2011 like i have and dont want to go over 35's you should do 4.88's as overlander mentioned. this will bring you back to a stock feeling of power and drivability.

silverjk11

because you have a 2011 like i have and dont want to go over 35's you should do 4.88's as overlander mentioned. this will bring you back to a stock feeling of power and drivability.

on a 6 speed i would be turning 2700 rpm going 70 mph. I feel like that would be too much?

J33P(ers)Paradise

I'm running 37" toyos on a 2007 Sahara with the 3.8L I dont mind the doggyness too much at least not yet. Will not re-gearing cuz a problem down the road

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MI jeepskate

i regeared to 4.88 on my 10 sport auto and i love it. went ahead and threw a locker out the back and im happy with everyhting. This things a race car now! lol, just seems like it comapred to the 3.73 and 33's i currently had

MICP3309

The biggest tire I will EVER run is a 35. I don't see myself ever going to 37's, not as practical for me not do I want the expense. For what we have in East TN, 35's will be fine. View attachment 79053 View attachment 79054

You say this now!! :cheesy: in all seriousness though, I'd say get some 35s and find out if that's as big as you'll EVER go before you spend the $$ on the regear. I too said I won't go to 37s well that's changed! And I am glad I did not regear yet, I'd be pissed I spent a lot of coin then was still out of the "ideal" gear range. Just a thought.

Top Bottom