Detroit locker "bang" help, question

MI jeepskate

I recently had 4.88's FnR and a detroit locker put in my rear end. The issue I'm having is that every time I put my jeep into reverse it sounds like my rear dif is being smacked with a hammer. This doesn't sound good, I know it's probably normal but it's starting to worry me. Other than that everything else seems to be ok. I've got 400 miles on break in and the oil gets changed next week. Any input is appreciated, thanks guys

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
that doesnt sound right. im no expert with gear by any means but if i had to guess it doesnt sound like the backlash is right. my 5.13's and ARB dont "knock" when i throw it in reverse.

Also Welcome to Wayalife! make sure you stop by the Wave section and say hi :standing wave:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a quote from Dyantrac who had posted this on another thread awhile back...

I have a JK with a Detroit locker. The device works excellent off road, but you WILL get lots of ESC events, and kicked into limp mode with any automatic (non-selectable) device. Without a selectable locker, you will need to remember to hit the ESC button EVERY time you start the car. Trust me, you will forget, and find yourself in limp mode frequently.

Granted, he was going into limp mode because he was testing this on a newer 2012 JK. I don't think that earlier models go into limp mode the same way and don't know how they will behave. I might try hitting the ESC button before you start to see if it makes a difference. If not, there is never anything normal about a bang and if it's really as bad as you say, something is gonna break on you soon.

MI jeepskate

This is a quote from Dyantrac who had posted this on another thread awhile back...

Granted, he was going into limp mode because he was testing this on a newer 2012 JK. I don't think that earlier models go into limp mode the same way and don't know how they will behave. I might try hitting the ESC button before you start to see if it makes a difference. If not, there is never anything normal about a bang and if it's really as bad as you say, something is gonna break on you soon.

It's a 10, I've had the traction control turned off since day one (turn the wheel, hit the button , turn it again, summon the magical wizard and boom it's off) it honestly sounds like it's going to break

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a 10, I've had the traction control turned off since day one (turn the wheel, hit the button , turn it again, summon the magical wizard and boom it's off) it honestly sounds like it's going to break

I would have whoever installed it for you to give it a look. That does not sound right at all.

UpsideUp

Hey Eddie...do you know or have you heard of anybody running the Detroit in the front and selectable in the rear? I thought I read somewhere that you can put one in front without ESC events because it actually doesn't engage until you are in 4wd? Is this correct or am I just hoping that's true to keep my cost down? LoL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie...do you know or have you heard of anybody running the Detroit in the front and selectable in the rear? I thought I read somewhere that you can put one in front without ESC events because it actually doesn't engage until you are in 4wd? Is this correct or am I just hoping that's true to keep my cost down? LoL

I have not so I can't say for sure how it will work or not work. I have heard of folks installing a TruTrac which is more of a limited slip differential and is really the better way to go if you do not install a selectable locker up front.

AZDIESELPIG

I had regeared my 2013 to 5.13 and added a Yukon Grizzy locker in the rear. Finally after 2 weeks I found the info that the 2012+ need a selectable in the rear.

However, I had other symptoms that I no longer have after changing to the Elocker.

1. That loud clank as the OP described

2. The sometimes when waitng in a drive thru for example, I would shift to park and get a "tick" noise from th tranny.

3. I would get slipage shifting from Drive to Reverse ocassionaly.

All this had us leaning towards a tranny issue and infact it was about 2 min from going under the knife at the dealer to replace a speed sensor in the transmission when I found a thread about the auto locker/limp mode issue.

I also found that hitting the ESC button had no effect, in turns and corners i could trigger the limp mode.

I dont know what year the OP has but auto lockers seem to create havok for the 2012+ Auto transmissions.

Last edited:
kinda relating, i had an 03 dodge ram 1500 with a Detroit locker in the rear and I never heard any type of loud bang when shifting from Drive to Revers, etc... drove it for about 40,000 miles with no issues. Like Eddie says, have it checked out.

36Fan

Its normal. You are hearing the teeth engaging inside the locker,they are loud and nerve racking if you're not used to them. Read up on them and look at a diagram of the internals and you will see why they make so much noise.

Top Bottom