Beadlocks

I would love to get beadlock a but since my Jeep is my daily driver it would be too much maintenance. I do however have ATX wheels and was wondering if they make the rings to add to a wheel to prevent wheel damage? Do you know if there is a place I could get these Eddie? Going the fake beadlock look for know would be bee for me. ☺️

My Jeep isn't a daily driver, but we drive it everywhere on the weekends and to/from the trail(s). I heavily considered beadlocks but had to come to terms with the truths. Where I wheel most of the time they simply aren't needed as I rarely air down extremely low. While a high quality bead lock usually requires less maintenance, they all should still be checked often and I don't trust my diligence. They can gather and hold slow, ice, & mud as previously mentioned which is a concern for me.

To your question.... I was trying to find the same kind of thing. Pro Comp used to make wheels 1069/7069s (I think) that you could put a "rash ring" on but I believe they discontinued the drilled and threaded versions for the rings. Mickey Thompson has some, and so does Rugged Ridge. The problems I found with them is that they had insufficient backspacing for 37s but too much to add spacers in addition (Probably should've worked this differently). In the end, I went with ATX Slots and rashed the outer ring on the first trip out.... My inner mall crawler was bummed but it's all part of wheeling. If you turn off the pavement you WILL rash the edge of your wheels.

BTW, I have seen several of the RR rash rings fail on the trail and still cause damage to the wheel, in one case it actually made it worse.

Sminkey

Hutchinson Rock Monsters

I've been running them now for 2 seasons and totally love them. I'm amazed how much more grip is available when aired down. I run 3psi on gnarly trails and haven't had one issue yet. They are a bit of work to change out tires but at least I can do them myself at home. These are also the only D.O.T. approved beadlock that I know of. Pricey but will be the only set of wheels I'll probably need.

bladerunnerJK

I love the idea of running beadlocks and the trails we do out here in Colorado I need to air down and I hate breaking bead yes it is my DD but I don't have any laws saying I cant run them so I will

Sent from my ME173X using WAYALIFE mobile app

xflstl

I love the idea of running beadlocks and the trails we do out here in Colorado I need to air down and I hate breaking bead yes it is my DD but I don't have any laws saying I cant run them so I will

Sent from my ME173X using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just because a rim isn't DOT approved doesn't mean it isn't legal. The last time I researched it there was only 2 states where running a beadlock was illegal, Tenn, and I think Vermont or something like that.
I recently upgraded from DIY beadlock rims to spyderlocks, while the DIY served there purpose they were impossible to get anywhere near balanced. The spyderlocks (Almost identical to ATX slabs) balance well, and are pretty simple to maintain. Check torq every couple weeks, clean when needed.

Just because a rim isn't DOT approved doesn't mean it isn't legal. The last time I researched it there was only 2 states where running a beadlock was illegal, Tenn, and I think Vermont or something like that.

Agreed,
However, there is often a misunderstanding between the old bolt on trailer rims and beadlocks. The bolt on rim style trailer wheel is illegal in many states and the manner in which it was added to many revised codes causes some open interpretation that can cause ticketing with beadlocks in many states.

This said, there are soooo many fake beadlocks that many police officers can't distinguish the difference between a real and fake one. Couple this with the fact that so few officers know and keep up with their revised code, and the fact that most simply don't give two shits either way and the legality becomes mute. The real risk in running beadlocks comes down to insurance liability should an accident happen. Just my :twocents:

xflstl

Agreed,
However, there is often a misunderstanding between the old bolt on trailer rims and beadlocks. The bolt on rim style trailer wheel is illegal in many states and the manner in which it was added to many revised codes causes some open interpretation that can cause ticketing with beadlocks in many states.

This said, there are soooo many fake beadlocks that many police officers can't distinguish the difference between a real and fake one. Couple this with the fact that so few officers know and keep up with their revised code, and the fact that most simply don't give two shits either way and the legality becomes mute. The real risk in running beadlocks comes down to insurance liability should an accident happen. Just my :twocents:

100% agreed.... Here is a quick reference link to check your states laws, not sure how upto date this is or how accurate, but its at least a reference.

http://www.liftlaws.com/

Top Bottom