Painting stock muffler

JKRandall

Just curious if anyone has sprayed painted there stock muffler with VHT or Rust-Oleum High Heat. Been thinking about this for a while and just wanted to cover up all that stainless in the rear before it turns into a rust bucket. Any info would be appreciated.

Devallee

Just curious if anyone has sprayed painted there stock muffler with VHT or Rust-Oleum High Heat. Been thinking about this for a while and just wanted to cover up all that stainless in the rear before it turns into a rust bucket. Any info would be appreciated.

Rustoleum high heat :thumb: painted my stock one when it was on there and painted my dynomax evo that's on here now with the same can. No problems to date just clean and spray not much more to it

JKRandall

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you also rough it up a little before you sprayed it like with a scotch brite pad?

MikeO

Just did mine yesterday. Hit it with some brake cleaner then flat black, high heat grill paint. Looks awesome. Blends in with everything else.

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!! 2012 JKU Sport

Latitude25

I've done this also, a few spritzes of your favorite hi-temp spray paint makes it look awesome. I expect it to eventually fade or get scratched off, but it will be easy to touch up. I didnt even need to mask anything when I initially did it, and it only took a few minutes. I used the 500 degree paint - it seems to be easier to find than the 750 degree stuff (at least where I live). Mufflers aren't going to get THAT hot anyway. If your muffler is getting over 500 degrees, you have more serious problems than how well your paint is sticking. :D

pastorwug

Not a very high quality stainless muffler to rust.
I suggest getting a better quality muffler like Dynomax has to offer.
Great $100 gift cart offer right now!

JKRandall

Not a very high quality stainless muffler to rust.
I suggest getting a better quality muffler like Dynomax has to offer.
Great $100 gift cart offer right now!

That definitely is in my future plans, but for the time being l wanted to try this simple little mod.

Hack12

I used this every season for over two years on my stock muffler. It looked great, it was cheap, and it required very little prep work. Perfect solution to hold you over until you decide to spring for a nicer exhaust.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398022280.486489.jpg

kaptkrappy

I used this every season for over two years on my stock muffler. It looked great, it was cheap, and it required very little prep work. Perfect solution to hold you over until you decide to spring for a nicer exhaust.

View attachment 79697

Ditto on the grill paint.

It's cheaper a little cheaper than the automotive specific paints and has a higher temp rating.

Devallee

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you also rough it up a little before you sprayed it like with a scotch brite pad?

A light sanding won't hurt but I figured its gonna get all messed up anyways so I didn't waste much time prepping. Just sanded with a fine grit paper enough to scratch up any rusty spots, clean, and spray

MechanixRage

I painted my stock muffler this week to, it looks so much better black and doesnt stand out as much with my PSC BFH bumper.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

xkid

Just did mine today. Cheap and looks a lot better.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom