Summer Question

Twiztid11

So I have two questions that I'm not 100% sure about.

1. When I am putting my doors back on, do I have to put the bolts back on under the hinges or can I just slide the doors back in and be set?

2. I heard that if I put the soft top back halfway I should be careful driving at high speeds because winds could potentially push the top back and the sails could come undone? Now I'm not fully believing this because it's doesn't seem too possibly but just wanted to ask.

2014 JKU, manual, stock....for now.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailless

Caught the Bug
1. You don't have to put the bolts back in. Many people run without them. I've gone 1 day without them but I personally wouldn't run without them for a significant period of time. The bolts provide peace of mind that there won't be gunk building up under there. That's the only reason I spend the extra 5 minutes to put them back on.

2. I believe the manual states under 50mph. Anything above and you should take out the back window. Someone else better informed will probably comment on this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ZuidJK

I am not sure about the soft top I don't have one, but for the doors you are ok to not re bolt the torx bolts.. I don't think that I have ever put them back in after the first time I took my doors off.

Twiztid11

1. You don't have to put the bolts back in. Many people run without them. I've gone 1 day without them but I personally wouldn't run without them for a significant period of time. The bolts provide peace of mind that there won't be gunk building up under there. That's the only reason I spend the extra 5 minutes to put them back on.

2. I believe the manual states under 50mph. Anything above and you should take out the back window. Someone else better informed will probably comment on this.

Thanks! I figured it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to put the bolts back in just to prevent the doors from possibly jumping around and causing the paint to chip.

Also I take out the windows when I fold it half way I just don't unlatch the sails. So I'm wondering if I plan on driving highway speeds is it safer just to put the top fully back?

Dashyl

I hand tighten the torx bolts for peace of mind and I've never had an issue with the doors, I do tighten the bolts all the way during the winter though.

xtremefx4

I've had the bolts out of my doors for over a year with no problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Twiztid11

Ok so bolts are really needed unless I want the secure peace of mind. So does anyone know about the top possibilities that I mentioned?

noroad

Ok so bolts are really needed unless I want the secure peace of mind. So does anyone know about the top possibilities that I mentioned?

I took them off the first day i had doors off and they have never been put back on (that being said most people have no clue how easy it is to take the doors).

Twiztid11

I took them off the first day i had doors off and they have never been put back on (that being said most people have no clue how easy it is to take the doors).

True! It was easy, just gave me a hard time finding the right angle so I don't chip the paint or strip the bolt. I also found out that the front doors are much heavier than the back lol

Armydog

The nuts are not required. The doors are not going to come off when closed. I put little stainless steel security nuts on my half doors not because they are required but because I have the half doors and have heard that locally some Jeepers have had them stollen when the jeeps were parked at commuter parking lots and the like. It is so easy to open and remove the doors that I thought a little insurance would be a good idea.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398017196.103903.jpg

It would be a pain for me to remove them now, but my wife feels more secure with the half doors on and I like the look of the half doors so they stay on most of the time.

I take the back window out first because my dog rides back there and he like the air. The upper half doors and side windows come off next as it gets warmer. Haven't gotten to full topless yet but hat is the plan. Hope that helps. Rock out.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398017516.736496.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398017595.515584.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

trailless

Caught the Bug
To answer your other question. The two side "sails" should stay on at hwy speeds if you have the windows out. I've gone around town with he windows out and haven't had a problem. I've seen people on the interstate with just the windows out and they seem to be doing fine.

Twiztid11

To answer your other question. The two side "sails" should stay on at hwy speeds if you have the windows out. I've gone around town with he windows out and haven't had a problem. I've seen people on the interstate with just the windows out and they seem to be doing fine.

Thank you! I figured it wouldn't cause any problems but just wanted to make sure others haven't actually experienced a problem leaving them on.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For the summer you will be fine with the bolts out but I would suggest putting them back in during the winter just for piece of mind

Sent from my iPhone

Twiztid11

For the summer you will be fine with the bolts out but I would suggest putting them back in during the winter just for piece of mind

Sent from my iPhone

Makes sense, thanks!

Hobolobo

2. I heard that if I put the soft top back halfway I should be careful driving at high speeds because winds could potentially push the top back and the sails could come undone? Now I'm not fully believing this because it's doesn't seem too possibly but just wanted to ask.

I regularly take all my windows out and flip open the front half. I have never had an issue with the sail panels at highway speeds. I use the little elastic loop thingy to hold my back window up, that way I don't have to take it completely out so I can put it all back together if I get caught in weather.

Twiztid11

I regularly take all my windows out and flip open the front half. I have never had an issue with the sail panels at highway speeds. I use the little elastic loop thingy to hold my back window up, that way I don't have to take it completely out so I can put it all back together if I get caught in weather.

Thanks! That's how I've been driving recently since the weather is slowly getting warmer. Just didnt want any surprises while driving down the highway and seeing my two sail panels flapping in the wind haha.

Top Bottom