Atlas transfer case questions

turbineguy

True but after yesterday I'm starting to wonder what it was I wanted the manual for, lmao. When we get the Mrs hers it'll be an auto for sure.

This. It helped when I installed my Rubi t-case in my 6-speed unlimited sport, but sometimes I still need to ride the clutch to slow it down on some technical obstacles. I also miss my sport ratio for trail riding.

I would like to get an Atlas 4 with either 1.0:1 / 2.72:1 / 3.80:1 / 10.34:1 or 1.0:1 / 2.72:1 / 4.30:1 / 11.70:1.

Sent from Brazil using my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

turbineguy

Two words, hand brake.

Could you be more specific?

I've played around with hand brake, but it ends up stalling occasionally.

Should I leave handbrake on, then come off clutch, then release hand brake slowly to start rolling?

I'm sure there is a knack for it, and 99% of the time there is no issue, but love to learn.

Wish I'd went automatic.

Last edited:

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Could you be more specific?

I've played around with hand brake, but it ends up stalling occasionally.

Should I leave handbrake on, then come off clutch, then release hand brake slowly to start rolling?

I'm sure there is a knack for it, and 99% of the time there is no issue, but love to learn.

Wish I'd went automatic.

Apparently you cannot run an Atlas 4 with 2012-up with automatic transmission.......the Atlas 2 speed yes.....but not the Atlas 4

http://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...s-for-standard-jeep-jk-wrangler-applications/

The 2012 Jeep automatic transmission (A580) will not work with the Atlas 4 speed transfer case due to the computer controls equippment allowing only one low range input. The NSG-370 manual in this 2012 JK does not use the same module, so the 4 speed is still an option for this year with this transmission.

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

MC2003TJ

I have an Atlas II with 3.8:1 ratio and it is bullet proof. 4.11 ford 9" axle ratio with 35" tires. Automatic transmission. I think it is a good crawl ratio and very strong gear sets for both the transfer case and axles. People who have been behind me say that I am too slow when in 4-low first and second gears. I would rather be safe and slow than fast and broke. I ran the Rubicon and the Dusy Ershim trails back to back last summer with no issues. Best of luck!!

suicideking

One more vote for Rubi tcase. It would be a lot less expensive. Not just in parts -- figure a Rubi Tcase will bolt right in and use your existing shifter to activate. Get a programmer and you're done. A friend of mine just had one installed. It was $1300 for parts and labor. He got it done by a place that does Hemi swaps. So he got a Rubi Tcase with less than 500 miles on it.

JKPE

I may wind up discussing it with him. Just priced a 4sp Atlas and it's going to cost me 4 grand just for the t-case and cable shifter, doesn't include another session with the drive shaft shop.

Just spend it on the EVO DTD and drive faster!:D

CRAZYCASEY

Been running the 4 speed for a couple years. Ratios are 1:1 - 2.72:1 - 4.3-1 - 11.??:1
With 37" tires the 4.3 was about all I used. With the 40s I use all the ratios. 2.72 is good up to 40mph for driving through the desert to trails. 4.3 is good up to 25mph but I do wish it was in the 5.0-5.5 range for crawling. I seldom use the 11:1 unless I need to idle up something very steep but it comes in handy occasionally.

I picked up my atlas used for a great price but if I ordered another one I would look for a ratio in the 5s even if that kept me in a 2speed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As it has been mentioned a couple of times now, I personally would recommend a Rubi T-case as it'll be a lot cheaper, a direct bolt on, come with 4:1 low range and will get the job done. I still run one on Rubicat and only swapped mine out for an Atlas on Moby when I did the motor swap. Being that Moby was a manual, I don't know if I would have bothered to do this otherwise EVEN WITH the 40's I am pushing.

As it has been mentioned a couple of times now, I personally would recommend a Rubi T-case as it'll be a lot cheaper, a direct bolt on, come with 4:1 low range and will get the job done. I still run one on Rubicat and only swapped mine out for an Atlas on Moby when I did the motor swap. Being that Moby was a manual, I don't know if I would have bothered to do this otherwise EVEN WITH the 40's I am pushing.

You aren't concerned about it being a chain drive at all?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You aren't concerned about it being a chain drive at all?

What I can tell you is that since 2007, I had racked up over 100,000 miles on Moby and being that I work from home, most of those were driving out to the trail, wheeling them like you see me wheel on our videos and then driving home again. Not saying that a gear driven Atlas isn't better or that I'm not happy that I now have one, I just don't think the NP241OR being chain driven is as bad as some would suggest. After all, it is the reason why I still run one on Rubicat. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom