Opinions needed on paint

InkedJeeper

I need some opinions on what type of paint to use on armor. I have a set of sliders from JCR that came bare steel. I used 4 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint on them in January of this year. For the life of me I cannot remember what type of paint it was but needless to say they are pretty rusted up now just a few months later. I'm pretty sure it was just cheapo off brand spray can paint. Is there a paint type anyone would recommend for such a project? I want something that will hold up not only to road salt in the winter months and also off roading. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I need some opinions on what type of paint to use on armor. I have a set of sliders from JCR that came bare steel. I used 4 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint on them in January of this year. For the life of me I cannot remember what type of paint it was but needless to say they are pretty rusted up now just a few months later. I'm pretty sure it was just cheapo off brand spray can paint. Is there a paint type anyone would recommend for such a project? I want something that will hold up not only to road salt in the winter months and also off roading. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nothing holds up to offroading (rubbing on rocks). Most use either spray on bedliner in a can, or flat spray paint. I personally love plastidip.

InkedJeeper

I have plasti dip on my grill and wouldn't use it on sliders. I have heard about 8 coats of acrylic enamel paint is just as good as powder coat.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have plasti dip on my grill and wouldn't use it on sliders. I have heard about 8 coats of acrylic enamel paint is just as good as powder coat.

Why not? Nothing you put on (including powdercoat) will survive rubbing on a rock. I would use bedliner because I like the textured look, but plastidip is just as practical looks wise, and just as weak as anything else when introduced to rocks. Both plastidip and bedliner are great in terms of touching up because they blend very well.

Devallee

Why not? Nothing you put on (including powdercoat) will survive rubbing on a rock. I would use bedliner because I like the textured look, but plastidip is just as practical looks wise, and just as weak as anything else when introduced to rocks. Both plastidip and bedliner are great in terms of touching up because they blend very well.

What if I use my sliders as a step to get into and out of my jeep as well? Would the plastidip hold up to my foot touching that same spot everyday? Or maybe I should ask how long you think the plastidip would hold up in that scenario. Because my powder coat is already starting to wear in that spot after about a year or so and thinking about a way to touch it up until I feel like recoating em with bedliner one of these days

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
What if I use my sliders as a step to get into and out of my jeep as well? Would the plastidip hold up to my foot touching that same spot everyday? Or maybe I should ask how long you think the plastidip would hold up in that scenario. Because my powder coat is already starting to wear in that spot after about a year or so and thinking about a way to touch it up until I feel like recoating em with bedliner one of these days

Honestly, probably won't last that long but in that spot, I'd put that nonslip outdoor staircase grip tape.

Devallee

As for the OP...like stated above I would recommend something in a can whether it be paint or bedliner. Even with regular everyday use off of the trail my powder coat isn't holding up so I won't be wasting my money on that anymore. I just picked up some raptor liner and will be using that from now on :thumb:

Top Bottom