Electric motor/servo with engine off?

cddye

While I was wiring a CB the other day, I heard for about the 4th time, what sounded like an electric motor or servo behind the dash actuating at seemingly random intervals while everything was turned off.

When I had the glove box out I was able to see that there was in fact some sort of something behind the center of the dash with a large white wheel on the passenger side- just adjacent to the glove box.

What is this, and is it normal for it to do whatever it's doing while everything is off?

'14 JKU, Billet. Rubi rails, more to come.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
While I was wiring a CB the other day, I heard for about the 4th time, what sounded like an electric motor or servo behind the dash actuating at seemingly random intervals while everything was turned off.

When I had the glove box out I was able to see that there was in fact some sort of something behind the center of the dash with a large white wheel on the passenger side- just adjacent to the glove box.

What is this, and is it normal for it to do whatever it's doing while everything is off?

'14 JKU, Billet. Rubi rails, more to come.

I believe it's a mode door actuator that makes the noise. The large white wheel you saw is part of the HVAC system. The actuators open and close the doors in the dash to redirect air to different vents (feet, face, defrost, etc.). My JK has done this since it was new, although being the first vehicle I've owned that makes the noise, I consider it normal and haven't thought of it as being an issue. Everything has worked normal for 32,000+ miles.

X2 ^^^^ it's normal and nothing to worry about. Kind of sounds like the jeep may be a transformer but that would only make it that much better

Top Bottom