Beach Driving Question

Dannyboy76

I am hoping that I posting this in the right area. I am hoping that someone can answer my question. I have taken my Jeep on the beach a couple of times. At that time I had stock wheels that I had about 35psi. When I went on the beach I brought them down to about 20psi. Also at those times it was just me and my wife, no real weight, no coolers or anything else. I never had any real issues, didn’t get stuck or anything. So I have been doing a lot of reading and watching videos of others riding on the beach. And they all seem to take more air out. Bring the pressure down to about 15-18 psi. So I am asking what do others do? I do plan on taking more trips this year so want to be more prepared. Also I just put on 33” Duratracs? Does this make a difference>

seanb123

I am hoping that I posting this in the right area. I am hoping that someone can answer my question. I have taken my Jeep on the beach a couple of times. At that time I had stock wheels that I had about 35psi. When I went on the beach I brought them down to about 20psi. Also at those times it was just me and my wife, no real weight, no coolers or anything else. I never had any real issues, didn’t get stuck or anything. So I have been doing a lot of reading and watching videos of others riding on the beach. And they all seem to take more air out. Bring the pressure down to about 15-18 psi. So I am asking what do others do? I do plan on taking more trips this year so want to be more prepared. Also I just put on 33” Duratracs? Does this make a difference>

You should be fine down to 15psi for the beach. Unless your blasting through the dunes you should be alright just cruising along and not worry about getting stuck

pastorwug

When riding on the beach here at Pismo Beach and Dunes there are a couple of things I didn't realize until I heard some others got it trouble, you might want to find out before Daytona Beach.
You are not allowed to use your winch to recover from burying your tires - not that there's anything to hook to except another person's vehicle. Pismo Beach Rangers state there are insurance issues, liability issues and they will write a ticket if found using the winch - they want you to use the (very expensive) tow service they contract with - big scam. You don't dare attempt to help anyone else - you both get a ticket! :crazyeyes:
Speed limits are strictly enforced - there's some real Bozos at Pismo that get all tanked up and go bombing around, but for the most part the Rangers write big tickets for speeding and are pretty much non-negotiable.

I don't know anything about Daytona Beach but these are some of a litany of rules here at Pismo Beach, Calif.

Driving on the beach in Daytona is pretty much like driving on the road. Last year during Jeep Beach I did not air down and was fine. The biggest thing I am worried about is the incoming surf and it getting in the undercarriage.

At Daytona you can drive on the beach from Ormand Beach down. There is enough vehicle traffic that the sane is pretty packed. Where you run into problems is in the soft sugar sand.

R/
Will

HDGasser

When riding on the beach here at Pismo Beach and Dunes there are a couple of things I didn't realize until I heard some others got it trouble, you might want to find out before Daytona Beach.
You are not allowed to use your winch to recover from burying your tires - not that there's anything to hook to except another person's vehicle. Pismo Beach Rangers state there are insurance issues, liability issues and they will write a ticket if found using the winch - they want you to use the (very expensive) tow service they contract with - big scam. You don't dare attempt to help anyone else - you both get a ticket! :crazyeyes:
Speed limits are strictly enforced - there's some real Bozos at Pismo that get all tanked up and go bombing around, but for the most part the Rangers write big tickets for speeding and are pretty much non-negotiable.

I don't know anything about Daytona Beach but these are some of a litany of rules here at Pismo Beach, Calif.

Pismo is great to go watch the boat show, the riding sucks now. Like you said Bozo city.

And I'm ASSuming your talking about only using your winch to extract stuck vehicles. Which I have never done there at the beach but have used my truck and a snatch strap no joke probably close to 100 times to help someone that's stuck. Trucks, cars, trailers, motorhomes... You name it! NEVER once have been stopped or questioned about helping a stuck fellow off-roader. I have been offered $$$ but never taken a dime from anyone.

It's amazing what a little air pressure can do in the sand.

Dannyboy76

Here in NJ the one place we can ride on the beach, the sand is a little soft in places. I never really stop and hung out. Just went for a drive. This summer, we plan on more of hanging out, fishing, BBQ or whatever. So I know that I am going to have a little bit more weight in my Jeep. So from what I have read here and other places going down to about 15psi. should be more then fine? I am just wondering what others go down too.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
when i hit the beach down in delaware the sand is soft. i have aired down to 13 just like i do in the trails and have been fine. i have also left my tires filled up at 28 and had no issues. when still aired up it made it more difficult to handle but i still did well.

David1tontj

Here in NJ the one place we can ride on the beach, the sand is a little soft in places. I never really stop and hung out. Just went for a drive. This summer, we plan on more of hanging out, fishing, BBQ or whatever. So I know that I am going to have a little bit more weight in my Jeep. So from what I have read here and other places going down to about 15psi. should be more then fine? I am just wondering what others go down too.

It all depends on your tires and your driving style. I have super swamper iroks, which have tough sidewalls, but I go down to 5psi in the sand with them. I recently went out with a bunch of jeeps,-most if them went to maybe 15-18.. I went to 5, and was able to do 95% of all the climbs in 2 wheel drive!

This is a photo of me coming off the top of a climb in 2 wheel drive that others were having trouble topping in 4wheel drive! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398178309.696132.jpg

When airing down to low pressures, you need to not do donuts and sharp turns, as you can pop your tire off the bead. Also- 5psi for my truck with my tires works, but you may not even be able to go to 8 in yours. It all depends on your sidewalls, and how stiff they are.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Dannyboy76

So as of right now I am running Goodyear Duratrac’s 33’s. They do have a soft side wall. So I am thinking maybe trying something around 16-18 psi at first. If I need to go lower I will. Maybe a little trial and error, I guess.

RedDawg01

I'm going to be taking a trip to Monterey next week and one of the places I want to stop at is Pismo. We won't be able to spend much time there but id like to just be able to take some pictures. Is there any areas I can go where I would be fine not airing down? If I have to I will, but in the best interest of time I want to avoid it. Thanks!

rsmwrangler

I'm going to be taking a trip to Monterey next week and one of the places I want to stop at is Pismo. We won't be able to spend much time there but id like to just be able to take some pictures. Is there any areas I can go where I would be fine not airing down? If I have to I will, but in the best interest of time I want to avoid it. Thanks!

You would want to air down at Pismo, as the sand is very soft, me and my brother in law went everywhere in Pismo at 15psi, and he's driving a bone stock Xterra with the factory BFG tires and open diff.
All gas stations around Pismo have free air, and the pumps are fairly quick so yo don't need to worry about running the tires low, you can literally drive out of the sand and the gas station are only 3-5 min away depending on when you exit.

Also a good idea to use the pressure washes once your done with Pismo, it's unbelievable how much rust you can get in no time driving down there, plus our Jeeps can rust only looking at them, so I can only imagine what Pismo would do to my puppy :)

Top Bottom