Bestop supertop

2doorjk

I purchased a Bestop SuperTop 4 years ago. It is the single Worst product i have purchased for my jeep.
The windshield header has leaked from day one. when i took the top out of the shipping package BOTH
header clamps fell apart in my hand. on a calm day the top stays down but on a slightly windy day
the top lifts and air or rain rushes in. on a windy day or if i meet a semi on a two lane road i can see
the sky between the top and the windshield. Bestops advice was to use a body hammer and bend it to fit.
after four years of being screwed over by Bestops customer service i've had enough. NEVER BUY ANYTHING
FROM BESTOP. once the sale is made your on your own.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ummm I stopped reading after the "4 years ago part". If you want to bitch you should have done it 4 years ago. Nobody cares now.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ummm I stopped reading after the "4 years ago part". If you want to bitch you should have done it 4 years ago. Nobody cares now.

Can we create a "bitching and whining" section for useless threads such as these? :yup:

Seriously OP 4 years later?

2doorjk

Actually i did bitch 4 years ago and got the run around until two days ago, when i gave up bitching at Bestop. Thought i'd warn other members about the FINE customer service i received. If you had bothered to read my post instead of just attacking me you'd know that. FU2

suicideking

Pretty sure they re-designed it in '12 and fixed a lot of the problems. Something to do with cable assist?

If you don't like it, sell it and get a different one. The factory premium fabric tops are really nice. Less noise, thicker, etc. I've had a factory '12 top for about a year now. No complaints. Don't miss the hard top at all.

2doorjk

Pretty sure they re-designed it in '12 and fixed a lot of the problems. Something to do with cable assist?

If you don't like it, sell it and get a different one. The factory premium fabric tops are really nice. Less noise, thicker, etc. I've had a factory '12 top for about a year now. No complaints. Don't miss the hard top at all.

good info thanks, thinking about a trek style top this time. definitely not bestop though.

wwood

I purchased a Bestop SuperTop 4 years ago. It is the single Worst product i have purchased for my jeep.
The windshield header has leaked from day one. when i took the top out of the shipping package BOTH
header clamps fell apart in my hand. on a calm day the top stays down but on a slightly windy day
the top lifts and air or rain rushes in. on a windy day or if i meet a semi on a two lane road i can see
the sky between the top and the windshield. Bestops advice was to use a body hammer and bend it to fit.
after four years of being screwed over by Bestops customer service i've had enough. NEVER BUY ANYTHING
FROM BESTOP. once the sale is made your on your own.

Seriously, this post makes no sense. If the header clamps fell apart in your hands right out of the shipping box, why didn't you get the affected parts or the whole top replaced immediately? Bestop guarantees its products and I have seen a number of posts on various forums verifying that damaged or defective parts are replaced by Bestop without any hassle.

I bought a new 2013 JKUR with the factory premium soft top (made by Bestop) which was slightly damaged by the idiot dealer demonstrating opening/closing for customers. I called Bestop, got excellent advice on a simple repair and new water seals for free and fixed it myself. That top is now perfect, fits and works perfect and does not leak water or air or make excessive noise. I love it.

Just bought a new Bestop Trektop NX in black twill that I love even more. Installed it myself and it fits perfect, looks perfect, works perfect. I love the fastback look so I plan to sell the factory premium soft top.

I have seen a number of ratty looking soft tops on other Jeeps which make me wonder if the owner actually knows how to install and/or open/close the top. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do this correctly. My son also bought a new JKUR about 5 years ago and his factory soft top had also been damaged by the idiot dealer who obviously had no clue how to lower and raise the top without damaging it. Based on this I believe many soft top problems are due to user error on the part of the dealer/owner and that Bestop will stand behind their products.

Bestop products are first class in my book. If buying a new soft top I would not consider any other brand.

trailless

Caught the Bug
OP sorry for your experience. Also thanks for the heads up. BUT

Let me say this. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you did spend 4 years of continuous contact with Besttop. You just spent 4 YEARS fighting over $1000. I'm just saying you could have learned a new language by now, maybe even two.

suicideking

I'll also add that in the research I've done on tops, the OEM hardware is higher quality than the aftermarket Bestop. Bestop has improved over time, but stll does not compare to the OEM.

If you're looking at the fastback tops, the two most popular are the Trektop NX and the Offroad Heroes. The OH has some features that aren't available with the Trektop, but has more complaints about leaking.

wwood

I'll also add that in the research I've done on tops, the OEM hardware is higher quality than the aftermarket Bestop. Bestop has improved over time, but stll does not compare to the OEM.

If you're looking at the fastback tops, the two most popular are the Trektop NX and the Offroad Heroes. The OH has some features that aren't available with the Trektop, but has more complaints about leaking.

Just to be clear, Bestop makes all OEM Jeep soft tops and their hardware and has done so for over 20 years. The OEM hardware is not higher quality (its the same quality) but might be different than what Bestop sells independently depending on what model top or vehicle year you are dealing with. If you want, for example, an exact duplicate of the Jeep premium factory soft top you would have to buy it from Chrysler because Bestop does not sell that exact top privately. They do sell very similar versions and also different versions with more or less features than the OEM version. Obviously higher quality components will cost more and some Bestop brand tops use better fabric than standard OEM tops, for example, black twill that costs extra. Obviously a top purchased directly from a Jeep dealer is going to cost more than a comparable Bestop branded version purchased from, say, Northridge 4x4 where you can get great prices.

My main point is that Chrysler has chosen Bestop to make their OEM soft tops and that relationship has lasted a long time. I see that as very strong evidence that Bestop makes high quality products and stands behind them, otherwise, Chrysler would have gone elsewhere long ago.

My two soft tops, one OEM and the other Bestop branded are both of equal quality as to fabric, construction, hardware, fit and performance - all excellent.

wwood

Bestop only has a two year warranty so the last two years were a waste. Should have read the fine print.

Just a heads up... Bestop's warranty on its new black twill tops is now lifetime to the original purchaser as long as he/she owns the vehicle on which the top was originally installed.

2doorjk

Seriously, this post makes no sense. If the header clamps fell apart in your hands right out of the shipping box, why didn't you get the affected parts or the whole top replaced immediately? Bestop guarantees its products and I have seen a number of posts on various forums verifying that damaged or defective parts are replaced by Bestop without any hassle.

I bought a new 2013 JKUR with the factory premium soft top (made by Bestop) which was slightly damaged by the idiot dealer demonstrating opening/closing for customers. I called Bestop, got excellent advice on a simple repair and new water seals for free and fixed it myself. That top is now perfect, fits and works perfect and does not leak water or air or make excessive noise. I love it.

Just bought a new Bestop Trektop NX in black twill that I love even more. Installed it myself and it fits perfect, looks perfect, works perfect. I love the fastback look so I plan to sell the factory premium soft top.

I have seen a number of ratty looking soft tops on other Jeeps which make me wonder if the owner actually knows how to install and/or open/close the top. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do this correctly. My son also bought a new JKUR about 5 years ago and his factory soft top had also been damaged by the idiot dealer who obviously had no clue how to lower and raise the top without damaging it. Based on this I believe many soft top problems are due to user error on the part of the dealer/owner and that Bestop will stand behind their products.

Bestop products are first class in my book. If buying a new soft top I would not consider any other brand.

they replaced the clamps immediately with no hassle. but they said there was no way the top could act the way i said it did so i sent pictures of the installation and video of the top acting more like a kite than a top. this is about a month after i received it. ( had to wait for the new clamps). the top is put together correctly. and not just by my say so, others in my jeep club have looked it over. i,ve given bestop any and all proof they should need to warranty my top. as for the warranty, i made a comment about that at about the eighteen month mark and was told by customer service that as long as there is a documented problem before the two year deadline they would still honor the warranty. or maybe keep giving you the run around is more like it. i'm glad to hear not everyone has the problems i've had. but i will never buy another bestop product ever.

wwood

they replaced the clamps immediately with no hassle. but they said there was no way the top could act the way i said it did so i sent pictures of the installation and video of the top acting more like a kite than a top. this is about a month after i received it. ( had to wait for the new clamps). the top is put together correctly. and not just by my say so, others in my jeep club have looked it over. i,ve given bestop any and all proof they should need to warranty my top. as for the warranty, i made a comment about that at about the eighteen month mark and was told by customer service that as long as there is a documented problem before the two year deadline they would still honor the warranty. or maybe keep giving you the run around is more like it. i'm glad to hear not everyone has the problems i've had. but i will never buy another bestop product ever.

Still don't understand. Did you buy this top new? Did you pay with a credit card (you can dispute charges for defective products)? What happened after you sent in pics and videos about a month after you received it? Did you contact the vendor as well as Bestop? Does not make sense that Bestop would hassle a customer with a legitimate complaint. Not saying you are wrong, but you can't blast a company without clear facts to support your position. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

Just to be clear, Bestop makes all OEM Jeep soft tops and their hardware and has done so for over 20 years. The OEM hardware is not higher quality (its the same quality) but might be different than what Bestop sells independently depending on what model top or vehicle year you are dealing with. If you want, for example, an exact duplicate of the Jeep premium factory soft top you would have to buy it from Chrysler because Bestop does not sell that exact top privately. They do sell very similar versions and also different versions with more or less features than the OEM version. Obviously higher quality components will cost more and some Bestop brand tops use better fabric than standard OEM tops, for example, black twill that costs extra. Obviously a top purchased directly from a Jeep dealer is going to cost more than a comparable Bestop branded version purchased from, say, Northridge 4x4 where you can get great prices.

My main point is that Chrysler has chosen Bestop to make their OEM soft tops and that relationship has lasted a long time. I see that as very strong evidence that Bestop makes high quality products and stands behind them, otherwise, Chrysler would have gone elsewhere long ago.

My two soft tops, one OEM and the other Bestop branded are both of equal quality as to fabric, construction, hardware, fit and performance - all excellent.

I was commenting only on the hardware, I know the fabric is the same.

The hardware is definitely not the same. I have a '12 OEM soft top and had '12 Super Top that I bought because it had tinted windows and mine were clear. I got such a good deal, it was worth it just for the windows. While I had it, I researched whether I should keep my OEM top and swap the windows, or swap the whole top. I found that it was unanamous that I should keep the OEM top and just swap the windows.

It's not that the current hardware is bad (used to be worse), just that the OEM hardware is better.

Top Bottom