Rear bumper/tire carrier

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I am in need of a read bumper with tire carrier that is able to hold up to a 37" tire. I am also looking to have mounting positions for D-Rings and able to mount a high lift jack. Also strong and sturdy so that it can handle rocks on the trails.

Hightower

I have an LoD rear bumper and it's been a great bumper but I am going to replace it with something like the EVO bumper. The EVO rear bumper does everything you want and you get all the clearance possible. Good luck.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I have an LoD rear bumper and it's been a great bumper but I am going to replace it with something like the EVO bumper. The EVO rear bumper does everything you want and you get all the clearance possible. Good luck.

Yeah i would love to get some EVO mods but they are so expensive. I really want to EVO tire carrier!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
there are a ton of great options out their. EVO would be the best but as mentioned LOD is a good choice as well as the Genright Carrier. Also the OR-Fab with ropax is a strong and sturdy carrier. With the genright or OR-Fab you can remove your factory bumper and install the evo d ring mounts.

Ldogg

I like the AEV rear bumper and carrier because I have full fenders and it lines up well with those. The bumper has D ring mounting points, and water storage built in. The tire carrier can be used separate from their bumper on the stock bumper, their bumper or the 10A bumper. It has a post for lights/antenna a slot for a full size shovel and will fit up to a 40" tire. They have attachments (cost extra) for a hi lift jack and pull pal, and a 10gallon fuel caddy if you want.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398801882.047654.jpg

bman198

I run the ACE Engineering Pro-Series rear bumper with tire carrier and love it. Holds up to 37's and one thing that I really enjoy is that it mounts to the tailgate in a way that doesn't strain it, but allows for you to be able to open the tailgate without having to open another hinge for the tire carrier.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I like the AEV rear bumper and carrier because I have full fenders and it lines up well with those. The bumper has D ring mounting points, and water storage built in. The tire carrier can be used separate from their bumper on the stock bumper, their bumper or the 10A bumper. It has a post for lights/antenna a slot for a full size shovel and will fit up to a 40" tire. They have attachments (cost extra) for a hi lift jack and pull pal, and a 10gallon fuel caddy if you want.

View attachment 80893

How tall is the top of the high lift jack when it's mounted like that? And do I know if that's the only way to mount it with this set up?
I do really like how you can run the tire carrier with stock bumper since buying both at the same time is a set back for sure.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I run the ACE Engineering Pro-Series rear bumper with tire carrier and love it. Holds up to 37's and one thing that I really enjoy is that it mounts to the tailgate in a way that doesn't strain it, but allows for you to be able to open the tailgate without having to open another hinge for the tire carrier.

Do you have any pictures of what this looks like? I may run 37's later but I won't go any bigger than that so this might be a good option too.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
You should check out the ARB. Just installed one on a friends TJ and it's solid! One handed operation when you open the tailgate. Very nicely engineered!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Ldogg

With my 2.5" AEV lift and 35's, with a full spare and their rear bumper it's 79". That's a 48" hi lift. That mount is an extra $200 and includes a section for a pull pal. It's solid doesn't rattle and keeps the jack secure. I don't know how else you would mount it on that carrier though. The rear mast prevents it from being horizontal.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401850289.640841.jpg

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
As soon as I get the funds (since I just moved) I am going to be going with the AEV tire carrier with no rear bumper, or the stalk bumper... Haven't decided yet.

I have the LOD full width bumper with the Gen III tire carrier. Comes with a HiLift mount, CB mount and a host of other options. Took about an afternoon to install.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405854608.231194.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405854620.447989.jpg

R/
Will

StrizzyChris

It sounds like you've made your mind up already, but I am tremendously biased towards the very affordable option of GenRight. They advertise that it COULD carry up to a 42" tire but I'd never put more than 40" on there. Here's mine with a 37".

View attachment 81437

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
It sounds like you've made your mind up already, but I am tremendously biased towards the very affordable option of GenRight. They advertise that it COULD carry up to a 42" tire but I'd never put more than 40" on there. Here's mine with a 37".

View attachment 81437

i actually really like this one also! and I'm a fan of the EVO that is similar.
However i think the main deciding factor, for me, was i didn't want to have to open the tire carrier and then open the tailgate to get into the back. i wanted an all in one easy motion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As said earlier I would look at LOD. Their new 4th gen bumper carrier is badass and connects to the tailgate to open as one.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

View attachment 80893

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this carrier and was wondering if you did the install on it yourself? if so is there any tips you got for me or is it pretty straight forward?
I am just worried about drilling, cutting, or anything like that.

Ldogg

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this carrier and was wondering if you did the install on it yourself? if so is there any tips you got for me or is it pretty straight forward?
I am just worried about drilling, cutting, or anything like that.

Are you doing the bumper and carrier or just the carrier? The instructions are pretty straight forward and it's a fairly easy install. I would however recommend that you chase the threads for the hole that the zerk fitting goes into. That will ensure you don't break it off. Aside from that it's painless. Just follow their directions and use a level in the carrier to make sure it's positioned the way they explain. If your doing the bumper as well you will install the carrier, drill the hole in the frame, then remove it and install it and the bumper at the same time. That was a pain in the ass by myself so I would say two people are needed there. Also a mallet or dead blow hammer is helpful on the bracket that the carrier slides into. It's a great bumper and I am pleased with how it turned out.

spinuck

The ace bumper with angled tire carrier mount seems cool. it'd be nice to have the tire up further out of the way.

Top Bottom