Death Valley Wildflowers & More Expedition 2014

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks back, I had read in a local paper that there was a decent wildflower showing going on in parts of Death Valley and this in spite of the fact that California is suffering from one of the worst droughts in 15 years! Needless to say, this was something Cindy and I had to see and fortunately for us, it was something that our good friends Moochie, Doug, Joshua, Tony and Stephanie and Ray, his father and brother would all get to see with us as well.

After meeting up with everyone in Big Pine, we headed out bright and early out to the Eureka Sand Dunes where there had been reports of Dune Primrose were in full bloom along with Apricot Mallows, Desert dandelions and an assortment of other flowers as well. From there, we made our way through Steel Pass, traversed the Saline Valley, worked our way up to the Lippencott Mine, set up camp and then spent some time exploring the Race Track playa. The following morning, we made a stop over at Tea Kettle Junction, climbed to the top of Hunter Mountain, left the park through Lee Flat and then made a final stop over at China Springs before heading home. Below are some of the photos we took along the way and I hope you'll enjoy them.

Celebrating the start of a fun filled weekend with friends - CHEERS!!
main.php

All lined up and ready to go...
main.php

Before heading out of town, we made a stop to enjoy the impressive view of the Sierra Nevada Mountains...
main.php

Approaching the Eureka Sand Dunes. Rising 680 feet above the valley floor, they are one of the tallest dunes in North America...
main.php

Making our first stop of the day to enjoy the wildflowers and climb the dunes...
main.php

main.php

Flowers as far as the eye can see...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to climb the dunes...
main.php

Okay, we haven't gotten that far yet...
main.php

Now we're making progress...
main.php

Shot looking to the east from about mid way up...
main.php

Come on guys, you can do it!
main.php

Shot of the sand...
main.php

main.php

Interesting water/mud seep in the sand...
main.php

At the top...
main.php

View looking north...
main.php

At least it'll be a lot faster getting back...
main.php

Pulling around to the south end of the dunes and looking back toward them...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Climbing our way up Steel Pass, the only obstacle on the trail...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Making a stop to enjoy more pretty flowers...
main.php

main.php

Years ago, way back before Death Valley was as closed off as it is now, Cindy and I discovered some amazing petroglyphs in an unmarked canyon and on this trip, we decided to take a hike and show them to our friends...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

This way to the Bat Cave...
main.php

After a nice lunch at Warm Springs, we made our way down to the valley floor and out to the Salt Lake evaporating ponds...
main.php

View looking out across the evaporating ponds...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

View of our Jeeps next to the tram towers heading up the mountain...
main.php

main.php

A parting group shot next to one of the old tram towers...
main.php

Slowly wiggling our way up a narrow shelf road known as Lippencott Mine Road...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Warning sign at the top of the pass...
main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After setting up camp, we headed out to the Race Tracks, our final destination of the day. Unfortunately, the sun was being blocked by storm clouds but, I think they kind of added to the mood out on the mysterious playa...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Of course, just as we get back to camp, the sun came back out and gave us a rainbow...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Time for some grub!
main.php

And what would an end to a great day be without some Honey - CHEERS!!
main.php

Took a hike up to the mine the following morning...
main.php

Here's a view looking back at camp...
main.php

Signature of the mine scratched into a concrete pad...
main.php

main.php

As we were heading out, we decided to make a stop along the northwestern shores of the Race Track so that we could hike out to an island inside of it known as the Grandstands....
main.php

Circling around the back...
main.php

Walking on the shores...
main.php

Climbing up to the top for a better view...
main.php

View looking back down...
main.php

From below looking back up...
main.php

Making another stop over at Tea Kettle Junction...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here we are at the top of Hunter Mountain....
main.php

Looking down at Panamint Valley...
main.php

Extremely low on gas, a stop had to be made over at the Panamint Springs gas station - Guess beggars can't be choosers and Moby likes premium!
main.php

Before we head back home, there was one more stop we wanted to make...
main.php

main.php

Ah, beautiful China Springs - a perfect place for lunch...
main.php

Hard to imagine that there are goldfish in this desert oasis...
main.php

main.php

main.php

And just like that, we stand at the end of another great time with good friends!
main.php

I hope you all enjoyed following us on our recent wildflower and more expedition across Death Valley :cool:

Trail Bud

Hooked
That was a good trip!! Great pictures as always.
I like the clouds in the pictures. You don't see that in death valley that often.

crowrb29

Looks like your guys and gals had a great weekend. Hoping to get up there sooner than later. It always amazes me how well stuff out in the Mojave is preserved( Especially considered what asshats people can be these days). The history of the place, and the fact you can walk and drive amongst so many interesting historical artifacts blows me away each and every time.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Looks like a great trip with great people (excluding Moochie of course). I am sorry I missed it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you liked the pics and yeah, definitely need to get out and do some more exploring with you guys :thumb:

Ceithre

Wow the first picture you show the sand dune is cray epic! the dunes look so out of place or fake haha! Thanks for sharing your trip!

Top Bottom