Bad noise in 4wd.... HELP!

Jersey_Devil

OK so I've had a slight clicking and binding type noise coming from around the transfer case area, well today I saw a nice wall to get a good flex shot. I put it in 4wd hit the e disco then the gas and the noise was louder and worse than ever! It usually only did it while flexing or turning, but now it's doing it going straight.... Bad.... I asked my gf to drive so I could get a look at what was going on. I could see nothing that jumped out at me but it seemed the front drive shaft may have been "skipping" but I'm not positive. Here a video so u can hear the noise.

JKUR binding noise in 4wd: http://youtu.be/T4Bs2Fn0GWo

Hoping it's just the driveshaft......

sent from my obama monitoring device

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

They are stock, I know they are. And the front one has some play in it.... Is that normal?

MICP3309

I just had the same thing. It's the front drive shaft as it enters the transfer case. Your noise is EXACTLY the same as I had. It goes away in 2 HI right. We were able to see my boot was torn, and dirt got into the joint, and was "grinding" in between the cylindrical bearings. Time for a DS !

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

I just had the same thing. It's the front drive shaft as it enters the transfer case. Your noise is EXACTLY the same as I had. It goes away in 2 HI right. We were able to see my boot was torn, and dirt got into the joint, and was "grinding" in between the cylindrical bearings. Time for a DS !

Yup. OK. Guess its time for a coast 1350 shaft then.... Any other recommendations?

Edit.....

HOLY CRAP! ITS $700!!! Am I looking at the right thing?

Last edited:

MICP3309

JE Reel is another USA company that uses good U-Joints, and I believe Tom Woods shafts (if you change the U-joints as they use a "gold seal" U-joint made overseas). I'm going JE Reel 1350

Jersey_Devil

JE Reel is another USA company that uses good U-Joints, and I believe Tom Woods shafts (if you change the U-joints as they use a "gold seal" U-joint made overseas). I'm going JE Reel 1350

Ill have to look at them cause $700 for coast is ridiculous!

Jersey_Devil

Damn..... Their pricy..... Looks like a mall crawlin summer for me! Lol

Thanks for the info fellas!

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

Maybe I'll come across a used one somewhere, cuz right now both are out of my price range the 10&50.

Maybe the dealer will replace it under warranty then I can at least still wheel till that one goes.....

jeeeep

Hooked
I've seen repair kits for the stock driveshaft, forget if I saw it on Northridge or Quadratrec site.also contact local jeep shops, they may have takeoffs for cheap

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Maybe I'll come across a used one somewhere, cuz right now both are out of my price range the 10&50.

Maybe the dealer will replace it under warranty then I can at least still wheel till that one goes.....

Hopefully for the sake of everyone else the dealer says no. You gotta pay to play, not blame the dealer.

Jersey_Devil

Hopefully for the sake of everyone else the dealer says no. You gotta pay to play, not blame the dealer.

Wasn't blaming them. Never blamed anyone for anything.... Sake of everyone else? I was just hoping maybe they'll just replace it for me under warranty, that's all. That's why I paid for the warrenty.

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

Anyone know if the front shaft is the same in a 2 door as in a 4 door? A buddy of mine just replaced his and will give me his stock one if it'll work.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
No. It only happens in 4wd. What do u mean?

Hey, I’ve only had one sip of coffee this morning. :cheesy:
I would guess front gears have some broken teeth, but hey, what do I know? :idontknow:

EDIT: Like I said, maybe its too early for me to think logical. I will silently bow out now.

Top Bottom