Running 37s on a stock dana 30 axle

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would quit putting money into a d30 and save for a pr44. I've seen people trying to convince themselves by putting every bracket, truss, sleeve and all kinds of other wasted money trying to make it equal to dynatrac standards. But the tiny r&p is still your weak point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others mentioned, you can beef up your housing all you want but your shafts and r&p will still be weak d30's.

jkmitch

The truss and c gussets are already on. I was just looking at them and thought $100 might give me a little more time to save for a pr44.

suicideking

I also wouldn't bother adding anything. Keep saving! With 37's on a D30, you have to accept that you're going to wheel it until it breaks and just hope it happens later than sooner.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The truss and c gussets are already on. I was just looking at them and thought $100 might give me a little more time to save for a pr44.

Even without a truss, c gussets and sleeves, the worst you'll most likely do is bend your housing. What's more than likely to happen is that you'll break an axle shaft or ring and pinion being that both are still very small and very weak. If you break one of these on the trail, you're going to have a bad day. Really, do yourself a favor and stop throwing money at your axle housing and save up for a time when you'll need to swap it out for something more substantial.

Rottenbelly

Just put gussets and run it. I ran mine unlocked with 5 38's on 37 mud grapplers for over a year while I saved for a PR 44 and wheeled it fairly hard without breaking anything.

And yes Richmond gear made 5:38's for a short time for the 30.

JKBANDIT55

Been running 37s on my open d30 3.73s for over a year now. It did great for at least 10 trail runs. Then I blew the spider gears last summer. Fixed them and did great for a few months. Then this year during EJS I blew The spider gears again, along with cracking the carrier in 2 spots and the ring and pinion both had chips. Just got done putting in a used but still good carrier and gears. Other than the gears and carrier the axle is still straight and everything is good. But the small teeth on the gears don't last long at all. I used to be one of those guys that thought 37s on a d30 was fine. But I spoke to early and now I've blew it twice. I don't recommend throwing any money into the 30. Save for a 44 or up. I'd run it, most likely going to bust the gears before anything, but if you can't afford to upgrade the axle you can find used gears cheap to get you by till you can afford an upgraded axle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

37" tires on stock Dana 30

Looking to see if anyone out there is running 37" tires on there Dana 30 front axle with no sleeves or gussets. Im not planning on doing any rock crawling yet so just curious to how they would hold up to daily driving for now.

Spudcannons

Looking to see if anyone out there is running 37" tires on there Dana 30 front axle with no sleeves or gussets. Im not planning on doing any rock crawling yet so just curious to how they would hold up to daily driving for now.

They will be fine on the street as long as you don't drive over curbs, pot holes, speed bumps fast ect. It is a waste of money gearing a D30 so the Jeep will be the slowest thing on the road with 37s and stock gears, 3.21 or 3.27. Just save you money and by an axle and smaller tires so you can wheel and not worry about breaking stuff or buy just the axle and do easier trails so you can wheel until you can buy the tires, just my :twocents:. Do not bother putting any money into a D30 I destroyed mine with 35s almost instantly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of people do it and they'll hold up fine so long as you don't hit any pot hole hard or other road side features with any real force. If you do, that will cause your end forgings to bend. Also, rock crawling won't jack up your axle housing - speed will. On the rocks, what you really should be concerned with is how small your axle shafts and ring and pinion are. A bent axle housing won't leave you high and dry - a broken internal component WILL.

They will be fine on the street as long as you don't drive over curbs, pot holes, speed bumps fast ect. It is a waste of money gearing a D30 so the Jeep will be the slowest thing on the road with 37s and stock gears, 3.21 or 3.27. Just save you money and by an axle and smaller tires so you can wheel and not worry about breaking stuff or buy just the axle and do easier trails so you can wheel until you can buy the tires, just my :twocents:. Do not bother putting any money into a D30 I destroyed mine with 35s almost instantly.

For the past 2 1/2 years ive been running 35" toyos on mine and havent had any problems yet. Still running stock 3.21 gears. Power isnt to bad until you hit the mountains. Im planning on upgrading the axle in the future but for now im just going to have to stick with what i have. So i was curious if gussets are a must for street riding with 37" tires

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Currently running slabs and toyos on my stock d30. No gussets. Been driving it like this for the last month. Im not even gonna put any money into the 30. Should be getting a prorock44 in the next couple months

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the past 2 1/2 years ive been running 35" toyos on mine and havent had any problems yet. Still running stock 3.21 gears. Power isnt to bad until you hit the mountains. Im planning on upgrading the axle in the future but for now im just going to have to stick with what i have. So i was curious if gussets are a must for street riding with 37" tires

I would say no and would say what you're planning to do is a good idea. Don't throw anymore money at your Dana 30 than you have to especially being that you are planning to upgrade in the future.

Top Bottom