2000 TJ ABS light on..

info4tim

My abs Light just came on. Brakes all seem fine. Question: Bought a 00 TJ auto 4.0. In DEC with 127k on it. Had abs light come on bout 3 months ago...went off after shutting off key then starting again fine. Approx 2 mos ago had rear brakes chged. Tonite, abs light comes on when starting her up! Cycled off on few times light off. Drive 10 miles. Light on for good now. Checked for codes...none found. Any ideas? Thx much. -Tim

Update:
Ok I've attached 2 pix off what I think are front abs sensors here. Folks have said they get dirty n must be cleaned....which i have just done. Both pix are from drivers side - 1 after thoroughly cleaning 1 after reinstalling. If you look close the end is mottled/dented compared to pass side. Could this be? If this is the sensor n I've cleaned both...rear has drums didn't see any sensors there... Should I chg this one? What else could poss turn lite on?

Last edited:

info4tim

O yeah sorry..can't find the pix now! :-( anyway, no its not fuses, n the frt left sensor looks like it hit the tone ring a few times. Its dinged a few times. Also recently Chked n cleaned both rear sensors to no avail. Should I replace frt one? They're like $120 a pop! Thanx

Let It SNOW!!

redpatchjeff

Check to see if auto zone or one of those places can test them for you.

I don't know if they can or not, my old TJ didn't have ABS so I'm throwing darts here. But I'd say if you can have it tested to do that first before spending the dough.

info4tim

Thx but been there done that. Apparently, all those joints only pull std codes...need reader that specifically does ABS..n for that particular vehicle too! Dealer of course will pull for you..to tune of $100+! Not likely to happen

Let It SNOW!!

David1tontj

I wish you were In oregon I would let you borrow my scanner.

I'm pretty sure you can use a multi-meter to read the ohms of resistance. Not 100% sure how, but my mechanic friend has talked about doing it.

Wish I could be more help.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

info4tim

David, Yes did in fact measure resistance on back 2 successfully but can't get to frt (easily) yet. Thanx will try to get to frt ones soon!

Let It SNOW!!

Top Bottom