Morris4x4 Plagiarizing WAYALIFE (Apology Made)

cyberil

I just placed my first ever order with them two days ago.

However, you can rest assured that if they continue this practice with multiple pages, Google WILL eventually issue them with a penalty on their website - meaning their site will not have the placement it once had in the natural search results.

How do I know this? It's my job.

Paul

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First link is down now. The headlight one is still working though.

Well, that's a start. Funny how they never even responded to the email I sent them. You would think that an apology would be the least they could do. :naw:

Ed Lapadura

I say take it as a compliment that they use your material. It's out there for the world to see for free and not copyrighted though I think they should have used your name as the writer of the article. While having wayalife on the pictures will bring people to look at the forum so you could take it as a positive in that respect

Sent from my LG-D500 using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

While it's free information that he has posted on the site, others stealing the info diverts traffic away from his site. That traffic is his revenue stream and I wouldn't tolerate it either. Same goes for the decals...stealing his money and making a profit of of his work/design.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I say take it as a compliment that they use your material. It's out there for the world to see for free and not copyrighted though I think they should have used your name as the writer of the article. While having wayalife on the pictures will bring people to look at the forum so you could take it as a positive in that respect

Says you my write-ups aren't copyrighted and up until people gave them grief, they never made any mention of the content or photos being mine. In spite of what you think, I spend a lot of my personal time and money creating these write-ups and if a business like this wants to use them in the hopes of attracting more visits to their website, they can pay me royalties for the use of them. Fact of the matter is, Morris4x4 STOLE from me and don't even have the decency to apologize for what they have done.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's out there for the world to see for free and not copyrighted...

This a common misconception about the law, and it is flat wrong. Copyright protection applies when you put the proverbial pen to paper, regardless of whether you go through the steps to obtain formal copyrights from the government. Obtaining a formal copyright just changes the measure and availability of damages in certain circumstances. Make no mistake about it though, the write-ups enjoyed copyright protection from the minute Eddie created them.

Bottom line is that Morris4x4 is using Eddie's copyrighted material for the purpose of Morris4x4's own pecuniary gain. That is illegal.

Edit: Although people often talk about copyrights, patents, and trademarks in the same breath, the three are distinctly different under the law. How you get them is different, how long they last is different, what is considered permissible use by others is different, and the measure of damages available for violating an owner's rights are different.

Last edited:

Ed Lapadura

Sorry I didn't realize it was copyrighted information. And I understand you put a lot of time into it. For that all of us appreciate it. I hope this is the worst thing you get stolen from you

2013CGJKU

This a common misconception about the law, and it is flat wrong. Copyright protection applies when you put the proverbial pen to paper, regardless of whether you go through the steps to obtain formal copyrights from the government. Obtaining a formal copyright just changes the measure and availability of damages in certain circumstances. Make no mistake about it though, the write-ups enjoyed copyright protection from the minute Eddie created them.

Bottom line is that Morris4x4 is using Eddie's copyrighted material for the purpose of Morris4x4's own pecuniary gain. That is illegal.

^^^This.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

JAGS

Hooked

Edit: Although people often talk about copyrights, patents, and trademarks in the same breath, the three are distinctly different under the law. How you get them is different, how long they last is different, what is considered permissible use by others is different, and the measure of damages available for violating an owner's rights are different.

Great post Sharkey. And I'm sure Eddie has a copyright notice on project JK. Thus as you noted, instantly covered, without need for formal submission.

The fact Eddie has gone the extra mile and trademarked his logos/designs only shows his further dedication and commitment to his business. Patents and trademarks are a PITA with the fees, time to process, etc. Often thousands of dollars and hundreds of hrs. Your right in that most don't understand.

I only vaguely understand doing what I do, and seeing guys use eddies logo and content pisses me off even more because of it.

- Jason

pastorwug

I appreciate the fact that no one has mentioned that they make a very obvious statement that they are Christians doing business as "The Jeep Parts and Accessories Leader"
My experience with many "Christian" businesses is that they have the same faults and failures as any other business - it's just that they should have a higher calling to doing things legally and forthrightly. This case appears to be something that they should have addressed immediately but have failed to do so - seeing that it is now about 2 weeks since this thread started.
This is embarrassing to me and I plan to call them out on it via an email. I don't suspect my 2 cents will mean anything to them but hopefully it might. :twocents:
Here's their banner on their front page website:

bible-banner-new.jpg

The Jeep Parts & Accessories Leader

Morris 4x4 Center carries one of the largest selections of Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories. We pride ourselves with a high level of customer service, and we strive every day to deliver the best Jeep Parts Brands, Priced Right. After 19 years in the Jeep Parts business we have the experience and commitment to back it up. We want to improve your shopping experience, if you ever have any suggestions or if there's ever a time when you can't find a Jeep Part don't hesitate to contact us.

Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories and Jeep Soft Tops from Morris 4X4 Center will turn your Jeep into a rugged high performance machine capable of handling any tough off-roading adventure. We carry OEM and replacement Jeep Parts from quality manufacturers like Bestop, Crown and Omix-ADA. We ship Jeep parts & accessories and Jeep soft tops all over the world at guaranteed low discount prices!

jims68

Money and power can be blinding and based off there professions they should know better! If I was the owner heads would roll! I hope for there sake this is a low level problem and not a business model! It's like stealing from a neighbor then giving them the finger! Keep your head up Eddie, these things tend to come out positive for the victim but do leave a sour after taste!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...And I'm sure Eddie has a copyright notice on project JK. Thus as you noted, instantly covered, without need for formal submission.

It's instantly covered whether you have a copyright notice or not. Again, quite literally, copyright protection arises at the point of creation (pen to paper) provided it is an original work.

It's instantly covered whether you have a copyright notice or not. Again, quite literally, copyright protection arises at the point of creation (pen to paper) provided it is an original work.

Being registered with the Library of Congress is the only way to guarantee offensive and defensive rights.

sent while sitting on the crapper

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Being registered with the Library of Congress is the only way to guarantee offensive and defensive rights.

sent while sitting on the crapper

It's a lot more complex than that. There are certainly reasons to register including, like I previously said, available damages. It also creates the ability to defend against a claim that your work is not original (e.g. it was not created first in time.) (As an aside, some people have tried to satisfy time of creation by mailing themselves a copy of their work because the sealed envelope bears a date on the stamp.) If done soon enough, registration also creates some beneficial legal presumptions.

The real point I was trying to make though is that copyright attaches to an original work at the point of creation, regardless of whether you take the next step to get formal registration. Even in the absence of formal registration, other people do not have the right to use your original works for pecuniary gain.

Top Bottom