Synergy Sector Shaft Brace

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No kidding! So the box I was planning to build as a spare, is worth it's weight in scrap with a broken sector shaft and no replacements. :grayno:

Well, you could always buy another china box and use it as a trail spare. You can at least get about $70 for the core that you have now.

EDIT: To be clear, I was being sarcastic. You'd be better off just calling it a loss and get a new Delphi box.

Well, you could always buy another china box and use it as a trail spare. You can at least get about $70 for the core that you have now.

I was thinking it would be wiser to invest that $800 into a PSC system, rather than spend the money on another China box. What do you think?

EDIT: Just caught the sarcasm---it was a long weekend with copious amounts of alcohol. LOL!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking it would be wiser to invest that $800 into a PSC system, rather than spend the money on another China box. What do you think?

EDIT: Just caught the sarcasm---it was a long weekend with copious amounts of alcohol. LOL!

:cheesy: I forgot put in an emoticon and realized after the fact that without it, my comment may not of come off right - hence the edit :D

No kidding! So the box I was planning to build as a spare, is worth it's weight in scrap with a broken sector shaft and no replacements. :grayno:

If it'll make you feel better you can kick me in the ass when you see me because (prior to finding this forum and learning a thing or three), I threw away a perfectly good one when I installed my PSC because like so many other things I've just given away, I didn't want to have it under foot. :banghead:

MTG

Caught the Bug

If you still have the receipt send it back to me and I'll "scrap it" at the dealership for you. It's not a new box, but at least you'll get some $ back.

If you still have the receipt send it back to me and I'll "scrap it" at the dealership for you. It's not a new box, but at least you'll get some $ back.

Thanks for the offer! I may do that... I'll PM you once I figure something out.:thumb:

Don't the delphi's rust (surface) and the newer ones do not? I thought I remember hearing that because of the way they are made. Is that true?

Everything I've read indicates that the Delphi boxes rust. As a matter of fact, when I called AGR, PSC, and West Texas Off-Road, they all asked if the steering box on my jeep was rusted or painted, rust indicating Delphi.

36Fan

So after the sector shaft break on my jeep, I've spent a lot of time researching steering boxes, hydraulic ram assist, spare sector shafts, etc. Here is what I've discovered thus far...

Best thing you can do to alleviate the stress on your sector shaft is have hydraulically assisted steering.

If you own a 2007-Mid 2009 JK or JKU, you have a steering box that was manufactured by Delphi. These boxes were made in a few different countries. An easy way to identify these boxes is they're typically not painted, unless you've got a remanufactured box which were sometimes painted black. Some boxes were also cast with Delphi in the side of them. There are spare sector shafts available for these boxes (~$150). There are also rebuild kits available for these boxes.

If you own a Mid-2009+ JK or JKU, you have a steering box manufactured by Nexsteer. This box was made in China and are painted black with no castings on the side of the box. These boxes vary slightly in design from the Delphi boxes. The sector shafts are not interchangeable (as we found out on the Rubicon a few weeks back) and there are no replacements available. So you would be stuck carrying a spare steering box as a trail spare (~$871 w/ dealer core charge). I've heard that you can find them online for a little less, but haven't verified that.

The consensus is, the boxes are interchangeable, but the parts are not.

What I plan to do is locate a Delphi box and have that sent in to PSC to be ported for hydro-assist. This will give me the option of carrying a spare sector shaft, instead of a complete box. So if anybody is looking for a couple of Nexsteer boxes, I know where you can find them. ;)

Thanks for putting up the info, much appreciated.

If it'll make you feel better you can kick me in the ass when you see me because (prior to finding this forum and learning a thing or three), I threw away a perfectly good one when I installed my PSC because like so many other things I've just given away, I didn't want to have it under foot. :banghead:

Don't sweat it, sounds like it happens a lot! I've searched up and down CL and called so many salvage yards with no luck. Rock Auto said that they get remanufactured Delphi boxes in from time to time and they cost around $280 if you're lucky enough to grab it.

I'll still give ya a swift kick in the ass. :cheesy:

Top Bottom