2014 WAYALIFE Rockin Rubicon Run Photos

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it's been over 2 weeks since we did this run and for that, I must apologize for not getting pics of it up sooner. As some of you know, Cindy and I literally got home, helped get everyones tops and doors back on, wished them a safe trip home, did some laundry, washed Moby, changed his oil, mowed the lawn, caught up on some bills and then headed out for another 2,500+ journey across multiple states. After we got back last week, we headed strait up to Tahoe again and have been doing what we can to wind down. Anyway, aside from dealing with some of the stupidness that's been going on the internet, this literally has been the first chance I've had to work on posting these up and I hope you enjoy them. Please note that due to the significant size of our group, I was only able to get shots of those immediately behind me and hope you can be understanding.

Having said all that, here are shots from the 2014 WAYALIFE Rockin Rubicon Run :)

Prep time at Camp WAYALIFE! For those who joined us on the California or Bust run, some time was spent on Friday going over our Jeeps...
main.php

Shot of everyone stripped down and ready for the Rubicon!
main.php

For those who were interested, we offered door and top storage at Camp WAYALIFE...
main.php

Party time at Camp WAYALIFE...
main.php

Photobomb!!
main.php

Ready to head up to Tahoe and meet up with everyone else!
main.php

With everyone present and accounted for, it was time to have our mandatory Rockin Rubicon Run Meeting...
main.php

Will it fit?? Everyone helping Irish JK get his hard top in his Super 8 room...
main.php

Shot of the sunset the night before our run...
main.php

Cheers to the Rubicon!
main.php

DAY 1
6:00 AM - All lined up and ready to roll!!
main.php

On the road and on our way to a fun filled adventure!!
main.php

Shot of Loon Lake as we made our way to the staging area...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

At the trailhead and airing down....
main.php

main.php

Bummer! Before we could get rolling, Russ had an issue with his PSC ram assist. Fortunately, we were able to get him going...
main.php

Time to have some fun!!
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Shot of the first group at the top of the Granite Bowl...
main.php

On the move again and heading down the Granite Bowl...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Shot of everyone down at the bottom of the Granite Bowl as we let another smaller group pass us up...
main.php

Bumping up the ledge climb out of the Granite Bowl...
main.php

SNAP!! Unfortunately, David1tontj broke a rear drive shaft and snapped a lower control arm bolt trying to make his way up the ledge climb...
main.php

main.php

After making a band-aid fix, David1tontj headed back to the trailhead with the help of ttfhell and RagnarJK. The rest of the group continued on their way...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

For those who've been wanting to see it, here's a couple shots of the new super highway over Ellis Creek - what a bummer...
main.php

main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If there's one thing we've noticed different this year, it's all the new "Rubicon Rest Stop" ports-potties that have been established along the trail...
main.php

main.php

Also, there have been a few old obstacles that have been somewhat put back in place like Walker Rock...
main.php

main.php

Moving right along...
main.php

He we all are at the start of the Little Sluice...
main.php

Moby taking on the Little Sluice...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Here's a shot of drtnwdr starting to make his way up...
main.php

Running 35s on a 4-door and no lockers, drtnwdr did great but about half way through, needed a little help from his winch...
main.php

Using Moby as an anchor...
main.php

main.php

The winter did a good job of making the Little Sluice a bit more fun than the year before but, it didn't stop OverlanderJK from killing it...
main.php

main.php

jkjurny in the Little Sluice
main.php

Running 35's, he just didn't have the clearance and needed a little pull to get him all the way through...
main.php

Here's a shot of StrizzyChris making his way through...
main.php

main.php

Here's Irish JK....
main.php

main.php

JeepFan rocking it...
main.php

Trail Bud using his 40" tires to his full advantage...
main.php

kyleolson working his way up...
main.php

The guys on 35's and on a 4-door were definitely at a disadvantage on this run. Here's a shot of 4xJjesus needing a tug to get through...
main.php

All the stress pulling his Jeep forward caused his tie-rod to bend forward...
main.php

Here's Moochie making his way through the rocks...
main.php

main.php

And Don following behind....
main.php

ScubaSteve in his awesome built JK making it look easy....
main.php

main.php

Krieger heading on up....
main.php

main.php

RagnarJK following close behind...
main.php

main.php

And finally, ramin pulling up the rear as he hammered his way though...
main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Moby leading the march onto Buck Island Lake...
main.php

In spite of the severe drought we've been having in California, there was a surprising amount of water still around and enough so that required some fording...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Shot of Buck Island Lake in the distance...
main.php

main.php

Moby approaching a drop before making his way down the Slabs....
main.php

Hang on tight...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to do a little mid-workout stretching...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Buck Island Lake - A bit low on water but, just as pretty as ever...
main.php

Going up!!
main.php

main.php

main.php

Taking a moment to take in the view...
main.php

Working our way around Buck Island Lake...
main.php

main.php

Entering the Big Sluice...
main.php

main.php

Almost to the Rubicon Bridge...
main.php

Crossing the Rubicon Bridge...
main.php

Fording the Rubicon River and heading into camp...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

It's Honey Time!!
main.php

CHEERS!!
main.php

DAY 2
Good morning from Rubicon Springs...
main.php

main.php

Tessa sunbathing on the rocks...
main.php

Lori taking a dip...
main.php

Russ and Adam trying to find their breath after taking a ride off the rope swing...
main.php

Just "CHILLIN"... no pun intended...
main.php

BUSTED!! Painting your rocker guards while still on the trail? Who does that??
main.php

CAR BOMBS!!!
main.php

CHEERS!!
main.php

Good times at Rubicon Springs!!
main.php

John showing off his huge meat stick...
main.php

How many cooks does it take to make El Pastor??
main.php

Hamming it up for the camera....
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Camping under the stars with good friends - who could ask for anything more...
main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
DAY 3
Time to head on out - Moby leading the way up Cadillac Hill...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Uh Oh, what happened here?
main.php

Not looking good...
main.php

Of all the things to break on the trail, a sector shaft has got to be one of the worst...
main.php

Moby coming back down to assist with repairs...
main.php

Pounding out the remaining piece of sector shaft still attached to the pitman arm...
main.php

Removing the steering box...
main.php

Tony carrying the box up the hill to where Moby was and a new sector shaft was waiting to be installed...
main.php

The other side of the broken sector shaft...
main.php

Removing the broken sector shaft...
main.php

Time to install the spare sector shaft I had...
WTF?? Unfortunately, Brian has a newer Chinabox and the spare sector shaft I had is for an older Delphi box - DAMN!!
main.php

What should have been a 20 minute fix just turned into a real problem and getting Brian off the trail and out of the way now became a high priority. Unfortunately, we can't do that unless we reinstall the broken steering box...
main.php

After talking it over with Tony, this is the temporary steering solution I came up with...
main.php

Just like walking a dog - With Brian providing power, I used the winch attached to his knuckle to provide a degree of steering and actually wheeled his Jeep like this for about 100 yards until we could get him out of the trail and get the rest of our group past him...
main.php

After leading everyone down to the staging area, a phone call was made to our good friend MTG and he was able to pick up a new steering box from the local dealership. Doug went out to pick it up from him and bring it back. With the new steering box in hand, we sent everyone back to South Lake Tahoe while Tony, Adam, Cindy and I headed back to Brian and Courtney who were still waiting with their Jeep on Cadillac Hill....

Back on Cadillac Hill and with rain starting to fall, it was time to get the new steering box installed and get everyone off the trail...
main.php

With the new steering box installed, we were able to make it down the mountain and to the staging area without further incident - NO ONE LEFT BEHIND!!
main.php

Better late than never - Time for a Rock Hard Wet Woody!! CHEERS!!
main.php

To all my friends both old and new, I would like to thank you for joining us on our 2014 WAYALIFE Rockin Rubicon Run!! This was by far one of the biggest groups Cindy and I have ever lead through the Rubicon and I can say that we truly had an amazing time with all of you. BIG THANKS needs to go to Doug, Moochie, Don, Lori, Ray, Tony, Stephanie, Russ, Adam and Derek for all your help on the trail. We really couldn't have done it without you.

If you'd like to see a ton more pics posted by everyone else, simply click on the link below:

2014 Rockin Rubicon Run Additional Photos

Until next time... :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BONUS VIDEO CLIPS

Oh, almost forgot, here are two short videos that Cindy and I took with our iPhones that I think were fun enough to share along with this thread. The first is of ttfhell, OverlanderJK, Scuba Steve and Irish JK riding the rope swing and taking a dip into the frigid waters of the Rubicon River....

The second video is a clip of me using a winch to remotely steer Brian's Jeep as he wheeled it up Cadillac Hill...

:cool:

daloot8732

You guys are awesome. I hope to make a run or two with you one of these days. Its just a shame I'm so far away. Still a strong follower.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkjurny

Great pics! Thanks again for hosting and getting us off the trail safe. The best way to experience the Rubicon for the first time!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics! Thanks again for hosting and getting us off the trail safe. The best way to experience the Rubicon for the first time!

I'm so glad that you were able to join us on this run and hope that you'll be able to join us on future runs :thumb:

What an awesome trip and adventure! Thanks for all of the great pictures and videos, Eddie and Cindy! :thumb:

Thanks again for organizing this trip, truly an unforgettable experience (even though there are a few parts I'd like to forget :cheesy: ).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What an awesome trip and adventure! Thanks for all of the great pictures and videos, Eddie and Cindy! :thumb:

Thanks again for organizing this trip, truly an unforgettable experience (even though there are a few parts I'd like to forget :cheesy: ).

We're so glad that you were able to run the Rubicon with us. As far as the extra parts go, all I can say is that at least we were able to get them :yup:

RDO_23

See… this is stuff that I need to keep seeing, to help up-root my arse from the midwest and to relocate out west.

Keep it coming Eddie + Cindy!!

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks again to Eddie and Cindy for not only leading the group, but for somehow ALSO being able to capture so many great moments on film. You guys have truly outdone yourselves. :clap2::thumb::yup: Memories that will last a lifetime.

That video of you walking the jeep was cool in a "when all else fails" sort of way.

And thanks also to all the great spotters that got each group through.

Thanks,

- Jason

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
great pics nice scenery :beer:

See… this is stuff that I need to keep seeing, to help up-root my arse from the midwest and to relocate out west.

Keep it coming Eddie + Cindy!!

LOL!! The scenery out here is really hard to beat. If you ever can make it out this way, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the experience :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks again to Eddie and Cindy for not only leading the group, but for somehow ALSO being able to capture so many great moments on film. You guys have truly outdone yourselves. :clap2::thumb::yup: Memories that will last a lifetime.

That video of you walking the jeep was cool in a "when all else fails" sort of way.

And thanks also to all the great spotters that got each group through.

Thanks,

- Jason

Thanks Jason, we're so glad that you were able to join us on this fun filled run! If there is one regret we have, it's that we weren't able to get more pics of everyone.

Top Bottom