Coilover Specs, Pics and Questions

Yeahright

Guys,
I am concidering coilovers what I need to know is, I am looking at the EVO Bolt On Kit, what is the lowest I can run the kit? And when being run at their lowest ride height is there much shaft sticking out of the bottom of the coilover, and how does this effect the on road ride, is the cpoilover gong to be topping out when run low?
Does a coilover need to be run about halfway through the stroke for best ride quality.
Does anybody have any pics of their EVO Bolt On Kit to show the difference in ride heights and the amount of shaft sticking out of the coilover, and what ride height you are at?
The reason for this is I want to be as low as possible because in Australia we really are pushing the friendship with the authorities if we are much higher that about 3 inches and 35s are about max for us.
Thanks
Yeahright

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Guys,
I am concidering coilovers what I need to know is, I am looking at the EVO Bolt On Kit, what is the lowest I can run the kit? And when being run at their lowest ride height is there much shaft sticking out of the bottom of the coilover, and how does this effect the on road ride, is the cpoilover gong to be topping out when run low?
Does a coilover need to be run about halfway through the stroke for best ride quality.
Does anybody have any pics of their EVO Bolt On Kit to show the difference in ride heights and the amount of shaft sticking out of the coilover, and what ride height you are at?
The reason for this is I want to be as low as possible because in Australia we really are pushing the friendship with the authorities if we are much higher that about 3 inches and 35s are about max for us.
Thanks
Yeahright

I do not have these but i believe that the lowest you can set them is 3". the rest of your questions is going to need to be answered by the experts on this kit. :yup:

StrizzyChris

The ride height really depends on your rear set-up. If your running a heavy rear bumper and if you dont run the rear rockstars then you could get pretty low.

I am running a fairly light total setup with rockstars, the stock rear bumper(super light), and GenRight tire carrier(also fairly light) with a 37" Nitto TG on Slabs(pretty damn heavy). With this setup, I have the coilovers set at the lowest height and I am still sitting around 4" of lift. If I had a heavy full size steal bumper and carrier and didnt run the rockstars that come with the kit, I have no doubt that you could get it to around 2.5" or 3".

The fronts, with my EVO 1/4pounder with stinger and winch, can go SUPER low and will easily go as low as you want/need. Really I had to keep raising the fronts just to match my rear height that was set as low as I could get them.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
^^^^what he said. I would add that I run my rear with heavy bumper, tire carrier, and 37 on slabs. I think the rear bolt on coilovers now come with 250 on bottom and 200 on top. With the ride height adjustment almost fully uncranked, you will probably be around 3.5. If you start loading the back with heavy gear, then it will be even less

They really are extremely adjustable, I just went to 250 top and bottom on rears because I like my rear at about 4.5 with a moderate amount of gear in the rear.

JK1

no shaft pics but the silver one on the left is cranked down about 2in of thread showing on the coilover and the tan one has no thread showing we both have toyo 37s i have long arms on the silver one but im not sure that matters on ride hieght:beer: just buy them and dont look back the longarm and bolt ons were expensive but well worth it :yup:
10479320_4262780185498_6518531096521734938_o.jpg

Yeahright

HTML:
no shaft pics but the silver one on the left is cranked down about 2in of thread showing on the coilover and the tan one has no thread showing we both have toyo 37s i have long arms on the silver one but im not sure that matters on ride hieght:beer: just buy them and dont look back the longarm and bolt ons were expensive but well worth it :yup:
View attachment 91491

Ok so is it possible to get any pics of the tops and bottoms of the coilovers showing the thread and how much shaft is showing, and when driving on the road and on dirt roads does the coilover top out or hit the bumpstop over bumps?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Like everyone else said, the back pretty much dictates your ride height. I have mine as low as it will go and I'd say I'm probably around 4". I don't run a rear bumper at all, the only weight back there on mine is my toyo 37"

Here are some pictures. First ride height

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405213129.627843.jpg

Here is front details you asked for. I run mine about 1.5" off my bump stops. I think I hit them once in awhile on hard bumps but that's it. One thing to note is I'm running the older setup that is 200/250 in front so I have mine cranked down more than folks that have the 250/250 setup.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405213224.885090.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405213240.794273.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405213258.929220.jpg

Here is the rear. Can't really get a shot of the top but they are all the way up. This is with rockstars.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405213296.020101.jpg

If you need any more let me know, darkness is setting in back east lol.

HDGasser

You guys don't bottom out the rears running that low?? I've bottomed out a few times just running on the street with 4 people in it and nothing else.

Air bumps are on the list but for now I'm gonna do some beefier springs in the rear. 200/250's ain't cut'n it.

image.jpg

You guys don't bottom out the rears running that low?? I've bottomed out a few times just running on the street with 4 people in it and nothing else.

Air bumps are on the list but for now I'm gonna do some beefier springs in the rear. 200/250's ain't cut'n it.

View attachment 91597

Wondering if that might be my issue as well. I have my ride height set to where I just clear my fenders at flex, I don't really want to go any higher. I figured on doing the air bumps first before swapping coils.

Yeahright

Cool so it is normal to run them low, I was just confused when I saw some for the first time because it looked as if they were too low, I will be ok I think as I am running a heavy steel rear bumper and carrier with a 35 on a steel wheel, and on the front I have an ARB stubby with 12000 winch.

BBrown626

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405280027.926625.jpg

35's, Bushwhackers
You will likely bottom out occasionally. Need to set the coil timing to pick up the stiffer spring earlier.
With nothing in the jeep but my tool bag and some recovery gear I have about 1.5 inches of up travel available.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405280244.285117.jpg

I ride on the bottom coil when empty. This minimizes bottoming.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405280278.212849.jpg

Rear is as low as it will go.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405280549.764072.jpg

My front is as low as it will go.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405280575.424545.jpg

Last edited:

Yeahright

View attachment 91664

35's, Bushwhackers
You will likely bottom out occasionally. Need to set the coil timing to pick up the stiffer spring earlier.
With nothing in the jeep but my tool bag and some recovery gear I have about 1.5 inches of up travel available.
View attachment 91665

I ride on the bottom coil when empty. This minimizes bottoming.
View attachment 91666

Rear is as low as it will go.
View attachment 91667

My front is as low as it will go.
View attachment 91668

Thanks heaps, I'd be fairly safe to assume mine being a 4 door will sit a little bit lower, but I'd be happy if mine sat like yours

Top Bottom