JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you have an android you don't need an external GPS. Your phone has a GPS in it so all you need is an app that runs on saved data and doesn't need wifi.

Marauder

iPhone has the back country app? Cause I can't find it

No bro. As far as I know it's only supported by android platforms.
I run a nexus 7 with backcountry navigator on a roll bar mount. The phone was just to dang small for me to see on the dash.

The thing I don't like about Gaia is that they make you pay an ongoing service fee just to use shaded topo maps.

jeeeep

Hooked
another ipad/ iphone only app is scenicmap
but I wanted something that works on less expensive devices, back country is working great so far

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
High End stand alone GPS systems

Have any of you experimented with high end stand alone GPS systems for offroad purposes (bread crumbs, big screen, high accuracy)? I'm not talking about the 430/730 that comes with the rig but something along the lines of a Lowrance hds 5 or 10? Is it worth it? Impractical?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Have any of you experimented with high end stand alone GPS systems for offroad purposes (bread crumbs, big screen, high accuracy)? I'm not talking about the 430/730 that comes with the rig but something along the lines of a Lowrance hds 5 or 10? Is it worth it? Impractical?

How much do you wheel in places you have no clue where you are or no clue how to get out? How often do you prerun for baja or trophy trucks?

You don't? No not worth it. But if you want to drop another $1500 on something you won't use, go for it! Friend of mine has one and I want to mess around with it but haven't yet.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
How much do you wheel in places you have no clue where you are or no clue how to get out? How often do you prerun for baja or trophy trucks?

You don't? No not worth it. But if you want to drop another $1500 on something you won't use, go for it! Friend of mine has one and I want to mess around with it but haven't yet.

I have a distant "friend" who "preruns" in his thousand acre ranches in west tx who asked me tonight if I wanted l his slightly used lowrance hds5 to upgrade to a 10. Never even considered getting one of these but it's a darn good price...$300. I think the hds 10 goes for what you're saying, but I was inquiring on how usable they really are or would this just an annoying useless electronic screen sitting in my rig.

StrizzyChris

That's one hell of a price....might as well buy it and play with it. Worse case scenario, you sell it for more than you bought it for later! :thumb:

ttfhell

If you wheel with Overlander when he leads then yes you need one. You've already dropped over $40k into your current build, buy the Lowrance and do it right. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407734142.058425.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you wheel with Overlander when he leads then yes you need one. You've already dropped over $40k into your current build, buy the Lowrance and do it right. View attachment 95203

I don't get it. You need a passenger to read it but if you have a passenger and the airbag goes off in an accident, your GPS will be implanted in their skull.

David1tontj

I don't get it. You need a passenger to read it but if you have a passenger and the airbag goes off in an accident, your GPS will be implanted in their skull.

That wouldn't feel good.
I would pull the airbag... I pulled my airbag because my daughter rides shotgun in her car seat.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Top Bottom