The Rebuilding of Smokin's 2014 JKUR Build

Fitzbsly

Awesome rig, and great build. So, the question we've all been wondering, ( not trying to be rude, and it's cool if no comment ) how much was the EVO bill??

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Kind of a pointless mod, but I found this PSC tramp stamp used for $25 so I thought it was a cool looking finisher to the tailgate (that is utterly blocked by the tire carrier)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409685686.037573.jpg

trailless

Caught the Bug
Haha, I'd do the same thing. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Haha, I'd do the same thing. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

When I was limiting my freeway speeds to 70mph I was getting 13.8 average. Now that I can romp on it, 12.6 is my new average....and I REALLY want a Hemi.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
More small tweaks to the pins. Added 8" coated stainless lanyards to the carrier QD pins today. Now I can pull the pins and let them dangle.

Drilled two 5/32" holes and tapped for 10-24 stainless button head screws.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409774308.059111.jpg

30 minutes later, all done:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409774352.550527.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
More small tweaks to the pins. Added 8" coated stainless lanyards to the carrier QD pins today. Now I can pull the pins and let them dangle.

Drilled two 5/32" holes and tapped for 10-24 stainless button head screws.

View attachment 98569

30 minutes later, all done:

View attachment 98570

:eek: You're not supposed to drill right there...voids the warranty. :crazyeyes::cheesy:

I'm totally OCD, so having the silver clip on the black painted corner would drive me nuts. But cool idea if you're worried about losing pins. I created custom pins using some 5/16 (I think that was size:thinking:) grade 8 bolts I had trimmed and hole pressed. No place to attach a lanyard.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I'm totally OCD, so having the silver clip on the black painted corner would drive me nuts. But cool idea if you're worried about losing pins. I created custom pins using some 5/16 (I think that was size:thinking:) grade 8 bolts I had trimmed and hole pressed. No place to attach a lanyard.

Dammit. Now Im staring at the silver tabs. Gonna have to get the rattle can out and paint some tabs. :doh:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Tinkered on the jeep today to update some creature comforts.

When I first got the jeep I installed Nav TV for the mygig unit. The primary functions I was looking for was a reverse camera and disabling the data entry while moving. Well when I sold my AEV rear bumper, I bought a lackluster backup camera that I mounted next to the tow hitch under the rear bumper support. Well it was annoying since you could always see the tow hitch and it ended up crapping out on the drive home from ORE. I played with a few options on where to mount the new camera including cutting a hole above the bumper support in the EVO bumper. The problem is that half the view was obstructed by the 40" spare. Decided on ordering a steel hitch cover from Amazon for $6 and drilling a 22mm hole for the camera. If I need to attach an eye for a D ring or toe, I can unplug the camera in 2 min and insert whatever attachment is needed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411252300.059413.jpg

I also started to upgrade the stereo with a "budget" upgrade. I ditched the factory sound bar speakers and front speakers in favor of the Mopar Kicker OEM replacements. Stuffed the bar and the front speaker pods with polyfill and it has been a HUGE difference. Amazing upgrade for $140. In actuality I'm not done yet since I have to do the drivers side but that should be done tonight (but the sound difference from a simple replacement of 3 of 4 speakers has already been amazing.

Factory left, Mopar upgrade right:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411252458.075419.jpg

Polyfill

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411252514.741579.jpg

Last edited:

2013CGJKU

Tinkered on the jeep today to update some creature comforts.

I also started to upgrade the stereo with a "budget" upgrade. I ditched the factory sound bar speakers and front speakers in favor of the Mopar Kicker OEM replacements. Stuffed the bar and the front speaker pods with polyfill and it has been a HUGE difference. Amazing upgrade for $140. In actuality I'm not done yet since I have to do the drivers side but that should be done tonight (but the sound difference from a simple replacement of 3 of 4 speakers has already been amazing.

Factory left, Mopar upgrade right:

View attachment 101176

Polyfill

View attachment 101177

I've been meaning to do this. I don't want to go nuts with the sound on a vehicle that doesn't have doors or a top a lot of the time, and when it does, it's never locked. Glad to hear that it will be worth it when I pull the trigger on them.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I've been meaning to do this. I don't want to go nuts with the sound on a vehicle that doesn't have doors or a top a lot of the time, and when it does, it's never locked. Glad to hear that it will be worth it when I pull the trigger on them.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

I was in the same mindset. I didn't want to deal with electrical problems with amplifier whine, bad connections on something I just dont care about that much. At the same time I didn't want to encourage theft with an aftermarket head unit. Still might buy the Mopar/kicker sub though...

2013CGJKU

I was in the same mindset. I didn't want to deal with electrical problems with amplifier whine, bad connections on something I just dont care about that much. At the same time I didn't want to encourage theft with an aftermarket head unit. Still might buy the Mopar/kicker sub though...

Exactly. Another thing that deters me from doing a full blown system is, where the hell can I mount amps that they will be out of the way but not be a inch under water when the inevitable happens and the Jeep gets rained in? Nowhere. Something has to give. Storage or risk of frying everything.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I meant to ask yesterday, which rear view camera are you using now? Do you like it?

It's just a $15 made in China camera from Amazon. They seem to last pretty long. Had one on my aev bumper and it lasted as long as I had the bumper without issue. They are a bit grainy in night vision mode at night. You ca pick it with or without "backup lines". I opted to go with the lines so I have sown guage how close I am to things.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_2W5hub03H57CQ

Top Bottom