On board air tank only

Armydog

I need to keep current mods low budget. Can I run an air tank with fittings to fill it a home or at a gas station and then have enough volume to air up my 35s when coming off the trail? This wAy I don't need an onboard compressor yet, would this work????

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Skirmish

You would either need a very large tank or very high pressure. I have a 2 gallon at 100 psi and I can take one tire from 12 psi to almost 20psi before my compressor kicks in. Maybe if you used a scuba tank at 3000 psi but you are better off with CO2 if you don't want a compressor.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

Skirmish

Well, neither of those is really helpful if he wants to fill them at home or at a gas station. CO2 requires a larger source of CO2 to fill it and a dive tank can hold a few thousand psi but you need a compressor that will output high psi. Most gas stations won't put out more than 80 psi and a home compressor will usually do 200 max.

dwvninety

Well, neither of those is really helpful if he wants to fill them at home or at a gas station. CO2 requires a larger source of CO2 to fill it and a dive tank can hold a few thousand psi but you need a compressor that will output high psi. Most gas stations won't put out more than 80 psi and a home compressor will usually do 200 max.

I have mine filled at a local welding shop for $11

safecracker909

How many tires/times can you air up on a tank full?

I get 16+ tire fills with my power tank. I fill from 10psi to 34psi. I not sure if running 20" wheels is much different than 17" wheels. Cost to fill my tank is $15 at a fire extinguisher shop.

Armydog

I get 16+ tire fills with my power tank. I fill from 10psi to 34psi. I not sure if running 20" wheels is much different than 17" wheels. Cost to fill my tank is $15 at a fire extinguisher shop.

Can you post a pic or two of the tank set up???

Tango

safecracker909

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406128356.435760.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406128374.313100.jpg
I am holding mine upside down because I added the hi-lift jack after the tank installation and didn't want to poke any more holes into the roll bar cover. I just remove it from the holder when I need to use it.

pvanweelden

a couple of suggestions that might help extend your co2 tank capacity- Always store co2 bottle in upright position and out of direct sunlight. The valves tend to leak and the colder the bottle is, the more volume you get.
Always use your co2 with the bottle standing upright.

dwvninety

a couple of suggestions that might help extend your co2 tank capacity- Always store co2 bottle in upright position and out of direct sunlight. The valves tend to leak and the colder the bottle is, the more volume you get.
Always use your co2 with the bottle standing upright.

You can store CO2 tank in any position but it must be kept upright while using it. Yes keep it out of direct sunlight.

Skirmish

You will get about a 20psi four tire fill for every 2.5 lbs of CO2 with 35x12.5x17. It can be tricky to know when you are running low though. The only way to tell is to weigh your tank. A ten lbs tank will weigh 10 lbs more when full. The gauge won't change till it's too late. I have onboard air as a back up cause sometimes I don't get a chance to refill the CO2 for a couple weeks or it runs out as I'm filling tires.

On the cheap end expect to pay $150 for a ten or 15 lbs tank with a valve and a static regulator. I went with Powertank and blew around $500 for a 15 lb with mounts and hoses. I and run any pressure up to about 250 psi without freezing up. Cheaper regs freeze at 150 psi and static regulators will only run one pressure.

1406158441747.jpg

Last edited:

Armydog

You will get about a 20psi four tire fill for every 2.5 lbs of CO2 with 35x12.5x17. It can be tricky to know when you are running low though. The only way to tell is to weigh your tank. A ten lbs tank will weigh 10 lbs more when full. The gauge won't change till it's too late. I have onboard air as a back up cause sometimes I don't get a chance to refill the CO2 for a couple weeks or it runs out as I'm filling tires.

On the cheap end expect to pay $150 for a ten or 15 lbs tank with a valve and a static regulator. I went with Powertank and blew around $500 for a 15 lb with mounts and hoses. I and run any pressure up to about 250 psi without freezing up. Cheaper regs freeze at 150 psi and static regulators will only run one pressure.

View attachment 92892

Awesome information, thanks everyone for the input!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Roblaza

I modified a Class A water extinguisher for my OBA tank and converted the OEM AC compressor to fill it. The tank is good to 500 PSI, but i have it regulated to 130 max and it kicks on at anything under 100 PSI.

Not sure how what it'll get you at 4-500 PSI with just the tank though...

JKbrick

You could possibly get the proper type of tank filled with air at your local fire department if they would do it. We fill our scba tanks to 4500psi with the larger tanks in the rescue holding up to 10,000psi in a 4 bottle cascade system. We have a way to use scba tanks for air tools for rescue purposes that could double as on board air for jeep use

Skirmish

I'd be nervous riding off road along with a bottle at 4500 psi. That's a lot of pressure. It just isn't worth it to run compressed air at those pressures since it is still a gas. CO2 is liquid so you get 3 times the volume in the same tank.

Last edited:

JKbrick

I'd be nervous riding off road along with a bottle at 4500 psi. That's a lot of pressure. It just isn't worth it to run compressed air at those pressures since it is still a gas. CO2 is liquid so you get 3 times the volume in the same tank.

I agree, I just meant you could get the 500psi mentioned earlier at a fd. What would happen if the CO2 tank got damaged when it was full? Same as an air tank I assume?

Skirmish

I agree, I just meant you could get the 500psi mentioned earlier at a fd. What would happen if the CO2 tank got damaged when it was full? Same as an air tank I assume?

Probably about the same if they were both at the same pressure, maybe the CO2 would blow longer and in a closed area it would definitely be more dangerous as it displaces oxygen.

The fountain show I work can shoot about 90 gallons of water over 420 ft in the air with 450 psi of air pressure. The company that designed them is selling to the government to stop vehicles at military check points with our medium shooters at 250 psi.

We run our 4 stage comp to 4500 psi and our dive tanks to 3000. We've never had an accident but the tanks are always in a stand or behind a chain. There is a strict safety program and a loose standing tank will get you written up. I have a lot of respect for high pressure air.

I keep my CO2 tank on my tire carrier more for convenience than safety but I wouldn't want to have it pointing at me. It is okay to have them in sunlight as long as the tank isn't completely full it has room to heat up. Worst case you would blow out a safety valve and dump the tank.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom