Shaking at High Speeds

GRNHORN

I have a 2012 JK 2 dr, that when I get to speeds of 70 or more I feel a shake in the right front. A few days ago I had hit a bump and the jeep started to shake like it was going to fall apart. I took it to the dealer and they said my steering stabalizer was bent, they replaced it. I also recently found out that when you have a lift your alignment has to be done differently than normal. So I took it to a place that does alignments for lifted vehicles. It does drive smoother now, however, when I reach the higher speeds (70 or more) I feel a shake.

I don't know if this is because of my tires or what. I have the AEV 2.5 dual sport lift, 35x12.50x17 Fierce Attitude tires. The shake isn't so bad that I have to slow down or anything but it is noticable.

Any one have any ideas, is this normal because of the tires and higher speeds? I am going wheeling this weekend and plan on having Andrew or Steve drive my jeep to make sure I am not crazy. I have checked everything underneath to make sure their is no excessive play in anything. All the bolts seem to be tight.

Buster3479

Try removing your front driveshaft and go for a test drive at 70. Last time I had a violent shake after working on my suspension, I hadn't seated the bearing caps properly in the yoke on a 1310 front replacement.

This would be more likely front left, but like pain in the body, vibration and noise is hard to pinpoint in a vehicle.

GRNHORN

Try removing your front driveshaft and go for a test drive at 70. Last time I had a violent shake after working on my suspension, I hadn't seated the bearing caps properly in the yoke on a 1310 front replacement.

This would be more likely front left, but like pain in the body, vibration and noise is hard to pinpoint in a vehicle.

Can you drive without a front driveshaft?

Buster3479

Can you drive without a front driveshaft?

Absolutely, it won't hurt anything on a JK and as others mentioned, I've run without it for quite some time when doing work on the front end. I've even considered removing it for really long trips, but laziness and figuring out how to store a greasy driveshaft always keeps it in the front end.

Speed based vibrations, knocks, and or shaking could be a lot of things, the driveshaft is only one of them. With that said, it's quick and easy to check without having to go anywhere or tear anything major down.

Jackal01

Curious...besides slight increase in MPG what is the reason for driving without the front DS? Keep wear and tear to a minimum?

GRNHORN

I am getting my tires balanced now. It seems they were not balanced after all.
Also he is telling me that my tires have a hop or bounce in them. Would anyone know what would cause that. As I said before I have 35x12.50x17 fierce attitudes I run 30 psi on the road.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GRNHORN

Out or round, badly out of balance, cupped.

I don't know anything about jeeps so I am a little lost on what you are saying.

When my tires where being balanced you could see one that kinda bounced when turning on the machine. He put it on the back and I can tell a difference already. Tomorrow I will be on the highway at high speeds to test it out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Google "Hunter road force"
The tech will use a road force machine to measure tire and wheel run out. They can break the bead, spin the tire 180 to try and better match the highs/lows. Sometimes a tire is too far out of round to fix.
Are the tires new ? Can one be returned ?

If all else fails. Run the bad tire as a spare or in the rear to not have a effect on the steering.

Of coarse there's the possible the wheel is bent too. A good tech should know what to do.

GRNHORN

Google "Hunter road force"
The tech will use a road force machine to measure tire and wheel run out. They can break the bead, spin the tire 180 to try and better match the highs/lows. Sometimes a tire is too far out of round to fix.
Are the tires new ? Can one be returned ?

If all else fails. Run the bad tire as a spare or in the rear to not have a effect on the steering.

Of coarse there's the possible the wheel is bent too. A good tech should know what to do.

Thank you, when I get back from this weekend trip I will look into this. When I got my tires balanced and the one that bounced was put in the back, it has helped, I didn't have any issues driving in this morning.

Thank you for all your input.

GRNHORN

Everyone that posted a response thank you for your input, and suggestions. I am new to Jeeps and am not a mechanic at all.

So thank you.

Top Bottom