OR Fab rear tire carrier question

Mikead40

Going up to 37s in 2 weeks, so I have to get rid of my crappy smittybilt tire carrier. As much as I'd love the Genright or Evo carrier, with all the money I'm spending on beadlocks and maxxis treps, $1000+ is not a realistic price for me to pay for a tire carrier (I know the steel GR is $900 - but powder coating will be $250). I've decided on the OR Fab carrier - which by all accounts seems to be decent. My debate is Rotopax version or non-rotopax version. I really don't want to sacrifice departure angle, so I'm leaning toward the non-rotopax version, but I do foresee a few long distance trips in remote parts of the country in my future, so the rotopax would also be nice. Any insight as to the degree of loss of departure angle from anyone that has run this carrier with the rotopax would be great....and/or alternatives to mounting rotopax in the event that I get the non-rotopax carrier....
Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the rotopax version and I have to say I love it. I have seen it next to the non-pax version and the difference is very minimal.

sean.m.adams33

I was looking into that carrier and know a couple guys with it. I would say get the rotopax with it. It's better to have it and not need it.

seanb123

Going up to 37s in 2 weeks, so I have to get rid of my crappy smittybilt tire carrier. As much as I'd love the Genright or Evo carrier, with all the money I'm spending on beadlocks and maxxis treps, $1000+ is not a realistic price for me to pay for a tire carrier (I know the steel GR is $900 - but powder coating will be $250). I've decided on the OR Fab carrier - which by all accounts seems to be decent. My debate is Rotopax version or non-rotopax version. I really don't want to sacrifice departure angle, so I'm leaning toward the non-rotopax version, but I do foresee a few long distance trips in remote parts of the country in my future, so the rotopax would also be nice. Any insight as to the degree of loss of departure angle from anyone that has run this carrier with the rotopax would be great....and/or alternatives to mounting rotopax in the event that I get the non-rotopax carrier....
Thanks

Not saying the or fab is bad heard great things but I got the gen right for $810 10% off a north ridge and got some spray bed liner for $25 and it looks just as good as powder coat IMO
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406222623.420903.jpg

GCM 2

OR FAB is a bargain....

I ran their older style Jerry can version for a few years and never once had an issue, rattle or squeak out of it. I had a 40'' tire on a Walker Evans Beadlock wheel hanging on it daily, and on the trail I usually had a 48'' hi-lift jack and two 5 gallon cans of fuel mounted to it too. I would definitely suggest the Roto-pax version over the the Jerry can version, sits much tighter to the tailgate. The thing was solid and always surprised me at how strong it was for what I ran on it and put it through! My only complaint- I wish they would have used larger diameter tubing so it did not look so spindly. Other than that, no other complaints. I have yet to hear of anyone who owns one not be happy with the design and function of it.

JAGS

Hooked
I ran their older style Jerry can version for a few years and never once had an issue, rattle or squeak out of it. I had a 40'' tire on a Walker Evans Beadlock wheel hanging on it daily, and on the trail I usually had a 48'' hi-lift jack and two 5 gallon cans of fuel mounted to it too. I would definitely suggest the Roto-pax version over the the Jerry can version, sits much tighter to the tailgate. The thing was solid and always surprised me at how strong it was for what I ran on it and put it through! My only complaint- I wish they would have used larger diameter tubing so it did not look so spindly. Other than that, no other complaints. I have yet to hear of anyone who owns one not be happy with the design and function of it.

Well sure, but did you actually take it off road at all? :cheesy:

adamsnewone

I run the jerry can version on my 2 door jk and I love it. I have ran quite a few trips and you do lose some departure angle. I have caught the bottom of my tire a couple times. But to it's defense, it held up great. And I also had to go straight in and out of a ditch so it wasn't ideal conditions. As long as you can get an angle on it it's fine.

RioJK

I have the rotopax version and like it. Got it from Northridge with the discount, so a great deal all around. :thumb:

UpsideUp

I run the full can version of the OrFab and I like it a lot. It was very reasonably priced and for getting off road it's nice to know you have the option of 10 extra gallons of fuel.
With that being said I haven't taken it off of a shelf that compromised my departure angle and that might be few and far between that I have to worry about it. It is very stout as mentioned above and fully loaded with a 35 tire, 10 gal of fuel with weight of Jerry cans, and hi-lift jack it holds up nicely.
On a side note this was my first mod to the jeep next to my lift and I have to say that it was a total pain in the ass to do by myself. But I am happy how it turned out in the end.

turbineguy

Confused. How many versions are there? I thought there was a jerry cans and a rotopax version. With the rotopax version having more clearance. Am I wrong. Is there a version that doesn't have any fuel containers?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Confused. How many versions are there? I thought there was a jerry cans and a rotopax version. With the rotopax version having more clearance. Am I wrong. Is there a version that doesn't have any fuel containers?

These 3 versions. One with no cans, one with rotopax, and one with jerry cans. I listed them in order from closest to the body to farthest out. I believe there is a video showcasing all 3 on YouTube showing the difference of how far out they stick

turbineguy

These 3 versions. One with no cans, one with rotopax, and one with jerry cans. I listed them in order from closest to the body to farthest out. I believe there is a video showcasing all 3 on YouTube showing the difference of how far out they stick

Thanks man!

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Thanks to everone that responded - Definitely going with the rotopax - great advice & perspective.

Mike, you can check out some custom Rotopax mounts that pvanweelden built in his Showoff pics thread. That might help too if you need more.

Bill S stopped by, got to use the york oba on the impact on his jeep, but his rear track bar bolt will need a long breaker bar extension which I didn't have. I need to get the piping so we both have one in our jeeps. After that I cut and finished off both rotopax mounts so they are ready for paint.
View attachment 79439
View attachment 79440
View attachment 79441
View attachment 79442

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom