Starter Click of Death!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Mine just did this for the first time this afternoon. Brand new battery was installed a month ago. I will continue to watch this thread for more information about this issue.

Welcome to wayalife. Few of us from the Reno area on here. Looking at your profile, I think I've passed you on 395 or Mt. Rose a few times. :standing wave:

Jake-138

A few months ago my '09 Jeep JK started experiencing an intermittent issue with starting. When turning the key, the starter will click once. On the second turn of the key, the engine will crank and start right up. Now it seems to be happening more frequently and when it does happen, it does it 2-5 times before the engine cranks over. When it finally does crank, the engine turns over normally and starts right up.

I installed an Optima Yellow top battery 2 1/2 years ago and it currently passes a load test.
I checked all battery, alternator and starter connections which seem to be tight.
I checked the ground strap from the engine to the chassis and it looks good too.
I haven't tried wiggling the auto trans shifter or shifting into neutral when it happens yet. Plan to test that the next time it happens.

My first guess is maybe the neutral safety switch is bad.
My second guess is possibly a bad ground. Even though all the battery cables and grounds look good there may be some corrosion that I'm not seeing.

Has anyone else run into this issue? If so, did you ever figure out what was causing it and what was the fix? Thanks in advance. :D
Sounds like the beginning of the starter going bad.

JeepFan

Hooked
So far no issues with the starter.

Time to move on to the next project.

Rear drive shaft vibration.
Front brakes squeaking.

It never ends! :cheesy:

old bob

Long term follow up

Jeep fan, I would love to know if your click, no start issue returned after redoing your connections. Either way, thanks for posting your solution, and the pics were helpful.

JeepFan

Hooked
Jeep fan, I would love to know if your click, no start issue returned after redoing your connections. Either way, thanks for posting your solution, and the pics were helpful.

Since replacing the connector to the starter solenoid, I have not had the problem. Are you having starter issues?

***Edit*** Starter Solenoid (located on starter), NOT relay. ;)

Last edited:

JakeJK

I have the exact problem mine only does it once usually sometimes 2 times, it is quite aggravating have you had any problems since replacing started and fixing wiring?

Edit: just read your last response.

JeepFan

Hooked
I have the exact problem mine only does it once usually sometimes 2 times, it is quite aggravating have you had any problems since replacing started and fixing wiring?

Edit: just read your last response.

LOL! ^^^

I bet you're having the same problem as I had. When the engine is cooled down, check the wire that connects to the starter solenoid. It's probably barely connected. Keep us posted and take some pics... :yup:

Last edited:

JakeJK

LOL! ^^^

I bet you're having the same problem as I had. When the engine is cooled down, check the wire that connects to the starter solenoid. It's probably barely connected. Keep us posted and take some pics... :yup:

I'm finally getting under here to try and find this thing, I will let you know what happens, I had my first time of the engine literally not cranking after 10 or so tries so I have up charged the battery overnight and got battery checked. It was fine, now it's time to check this starter ground

Jesus how did you get to any of this?!

Last edited:

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
This has been happening to me but it always fires right up on neutral and only clicks when it's hot outside or the engine is hot. I'm set on the starter sensor is going out in park.

JakeJK

Happened again this morning :( checked the starter solenoid wire seemed to be fine ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444231465.607067.jpg

I checked number 5 I believe that's what you were taking about, where exactly is that main engine ground? I may check that out. Also, I've added subs and a 4gauge wire from the battery, could it be possible I need another ground from the battery to the body somewhere? It only pulls 500 watts but better safe than sorry considering it's causing me so much trouble

WJCO

Meme King
If you are getting an audible 'click,' then that means your starter is receiving power. Not to say it's getting the correct amperage (if there is unseen resistance in cables). Sounds to me like the starter itself is the culprit if all circuits test ok.

JakeJK

If you are getting an audible 'click,' then that means your starter is receiving power. Not to say it's getting the correct amperage (if there is unseen resistance in cables). Sounds to me like the starter itself is the culprit if all circuits test ok.

Yeah there is an audible click a few times before it decides it wants to start

WJCO

Meme King
So either a bad starter or too much amp draw. Too much amp draw is from high resistance in the circuit (which still could be a bad starter or corrosion in cables).

H8MUD

When it happens on my jeep, I shift to neutral and back to Park. Starts right away. Not sure what causes it.

JakeJK

So either a bad starter or too much amp draw. Too much amp draw is from high resistance in the circuit (which still could be a bad starter or corrosion in cables).

Yeah could also be bad connection on the ground correct? That adds to the resistance

Really hoping it's not the starter don't have money for that right now

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah could also be bad connection on the ground correct? That adds to the resistance

Really hoping it's not the starter don't have money for that right now

Could be. That's an easy check too. Just check resistance between the metal part of the starter itself and another piece of metal near it like the block. Should be close to zero and reading shouldn't fluctuate.

Top Bottom