KingCopperhead's Build Thread

KingCopperhead

sounds good man. im an open book when it comes to what i have installed and experienced so i will give you my honest opinion.

haha nice man! Love greek life. wouldnt change it for the world. Thank you for the bday wishes.

yea august is really busy for me anyway as it is right now. september i will be able to do a RC trip or AOAA trip for sure

Actually, now that I think of it, I have a couple of questions for ya now :) (something to keep your mind off of the big day today since it's probably driving you nuts)

1. How do the mud grapplers do in snow/slippery roads. Any worse than other MT tires?
2. How often on RC blues do you find yourself wishing you had a locker. (if you have one disregard the question, noticed you're in a JKS which is essentially what I have)
3. Have you had any issues with your D30 in general in the type of wheeling that we see on the east coast?

The reason I ask the axle questions is I'm really having a debate here with myself as to which direction I'll go next in my build. It's really either save up for a PR44, locker, lower gears in preparation for 37's (using the lifespan of my brand new tires as a timeline to purchase date) OR continue with the light mods, get some evo sliders, a genright tire carrier, a CB. It's so tempting to just break out the plastic and do it all tomorrow LOL but then my Jeep would have nobody to drive it because I'd be murdered by my future wife.

Anyway, if you have time to give some input please do. I know you're busy and have some big things on your mind right now.

Good luck later today man!!! Love seeing someone work hard and have their dreams fulfilled.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Finally checked your build out, looks good man.

On blues for me, I have not had to use lockers other than I think on yellowjacket but that's only one spot and its been changing and getting harder. As for the lake Christy exit that side is the hardest, slippery dirt/mud and slippery rocks, and also gets dug out rather quick.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Actually, now that I think of it, I have a couple of questions for ya now :) (something to keep your mind off of the big day today since it's probably driving you nuts)

1. How do the mud grapplers do in snow/slippery roads. Any worse than other MT tires?
2. How often on RC blues do you find yourself wishing you had a locker. (if you have one disregard the question, noticed you're in a JKS which is essentially what I have)
3. Have you had any issues with your D30 in general in the type of wheeling that we see on the east coast?

The reason I ask the axle questions is I'm really having a debate here with myself as to which direction I'll go next in my build. It's really either save up for a PR44, locker, lower gears in preparation for 37's (using the lifespan of my brand new tires as a timeline to purchase date) OR continue with the light mods, get some evo sliders, a genright tire carrier, a CB. It's so tempting to just break out the plastic and do it all tomorrow LOL but then my Jeep would have nobody to drive it because I'd be murdered by my future wife.

Anyway, if you have time to give some input please do. I know you're busy and have some big things on your mind right now.

Good luck later today man!!! Love seeing someone work hard and have their dreams fulfilled.

Haha I wish I could read this all day. Had to have my phone off.

1. Mud grapplers surprised the hell out of me last winter. They were amazing!!

2. I'm like Hinrich where I try to never use my locker. I think I can could on one hand how many times I have used it in general. Open diffs at Rausch isn't bad.

3. No issues with my 30 so far (knock on wood).

Personally I would do the armor underneath, recovery gear, etc first just like you listed. Don't do it all at once tho. Still be prepared for your 30 to fail. It will be a while till it does but it doesn't hurt to be ready for it to be. So get the pro rock when your 30 breaks or when you are ready to finally move to 37's

KingCopperhead

Thanks for the input on RC guys. I think I'll have the answers to most of my questions by the end of the month once I get this thing out in the rocks and mud where it belongs. You are so lucky to live within an hour of that place. I've had my jeep almost 2 months and haven't even had time to wheel it! It doesn't help that I work weekends.

Anyway. Good info guys. I'll keep it all in mind. Getting REALLY excited to go up there at the end of the month.

Mods might slow down from here on out. If I do well with no lockers I'll probably try to put off the D44 and get the rest of my armor mods done.

Coz, we should get some wayalifers out to RC before you ship off to basic, send you off with a bang :)

KingCopperhead

Got my c gussets painted today, used krylon rust tough in gloss black. Probably should have gone with flat but I'll be repainting before winter anyway. Came out good enough. Got a few runs, but it's not a show jeep. Happy to have these painted finally, little peace of mind since rust killed my TJ.

I also hit the bare metal threads on my JKS disconnects to prevent them from rusting as well.

Also, I had this incredibly annoying rattle at idle once the jeep got warm, turned out the heat shield above the drivers side catalytic converter was moving just enough to cause some rattle. I used my trusty 3m double sided tape to tack it up against the insulation. Seems sturdy, if it comes off I'm going to jam some steel wool up there and see if that helps.

Also noticed that the bolts holding in the upper part of my limit strap brackets were loose enough to spin with a finger. So I cinched those down too. (and checked all the bolts on my suspension.) this is why I often wish I hadn't gotten the dealer installed lift. Hate knowing that the person who put it all together wasn't me.

Anyway, some pics of my gussets.

Attachments

• 1407969130857.jpg
    1407969130857.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 1407969137839.jpg
    1407969137839.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 276

Tigereye10

Got my c gussets painted today, used krylon rust tough in gloss black. Probably should have gone with flat but I'll be repainting before winter anyway. Came out good enough. Got a few runs, but it's not a show jeep. Happy to have these painted finally, little peace of mind since rust killed my TJ.

I also hit the bare metal threads on my JKS disconnects to prevent them from rusting as well.

Also, I had this incredibly annoying rattle at idle once the jeep got warm, turned out the heat shield above the drivers side catalytic converter was moving just enough to cause some rattle. I used my trusty 3m double sided tape to tack it up against the insulation. Seems sturdy, if it comes off I'm going to jam some steel wool up there and see if that helps.

Also noticed that the bolts holding in the upper part of my limit strap brackets were loose enough to spin with a finger. So I cinched those down too. (and checked all the bolts on my suspension.) this is why I often wish I hadn't gotten the dealer installed lift. Hate knowing that the person who put it all together wasn't me.

Anyway, some pics of my gussets.

Looks good! :thumb: Cant wait to get my tires and gussets on, will all be done on Tuesday!

KingCopperhead

Oh for sure, probably before I even leave the shops' lot, lol

I did that when I put new shoes on my old camaro :) was taking pics at the shop and during the install, which they later used on their website. RIP Camaro lol sometimes I miss it.

I could buy slabs and 37" mud grapplers for what I spent on that wheel/tire combo.... And what did I do when I traded it in? I left them on. Patience is not a virtue that I'm blessed with. Being impulsive is a curse.

Attachments

• 1407974171320.jpg
    1407974171320.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 1407974202202.jpg
    1407974202202.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

KingCopperhead

New rear diff covers installed. Thanks for the great write up on these forums it was easily done. Also painted them up to make em look cool until I trash them on RC rocks.

Attachments

• 1409358871866.jpg
    1409358871866.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 1409358881933.jpg
    1409358881933.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 1409358890922.jpg
    1409358890922.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 1409358900684.jpg
    1409358900684.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 1409358910429.jpg
    1409358910429.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 1409358917301.jpg
    1409358917301.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 1409358924108.jpg
    1409358924108.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 1409358932220.jpg
    1409358932220.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 306

noroad

New rear diff covers installed. Thanks for the great write up on these forums it was easily done. Also painted them up to make em look cool until I trash them on RC rocks.

looks good im going to paint mine tomorrow, looks like u used a ton of tape lol!

spinuck

rear diff.jpg

I thought it'd be cool to give them a 2-tone paint job too, but taping off and cutting out the spider kinda sucked. Now they're all scratched up, I think next time I change the diff fluid i'll just paint them all one color and be done with it.

KingCopperhead

Thanks for the compliments folks.

I figure when I scuff these up I can just take a paint brush and touch up the rough spots. Busy ass week at work but hoping to get my front cover installed by Tuesday. Then my new clayton front lca mounts with skids welded on asap.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I agree on the color, not my first choice but I like it now that I have it. Lift, lockers, rocker guards and bumper done. Winch and wheels in the basement waiting for tires to show up, should be any day now. The wait is killing me. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410034191.326665.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410034210.255841.jpg

Top Bottom