thardy's slowest build thread ever...

thardy

Banned
So I figured I would go ahead and start a build thread post, even though it's going to take me quite a while to get where I want to be, figured you guys could help make some suggestions a long the way.

I got my 2014 Granite 2dr Sport back in January of this year.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390878408.793653.jpg

Exactly one week from the day I brought her home I had my 16" ProComp Wheels installed and 285/75 Maxxis Big Horns on, as well as the tinted rear windows.
1669880_10101306517151281_133272734_o.jpg

On week two I decided to take the sawzall to the front bumper and put on the VDP end caps.
1614296_10101331898122611_1542335151_o.jpg

About a week or so after that, she made her maiden voyage!
1622315_10101396668237781_1821096765_o.jpg
1956804_10101376496432241_1355668528_o.jpg
1796969_10101398169484271_1427078355_o.jpg
1795210_10101366717938421_932479048_o.jpg

thardy

Banned
It's been fairly quite since the beginning. I've added Rubicon springs and shocks from a 4dr and have just been enjoying it on the trails so far this summer.
10256622_10101548906880321_401163219607316382_o.jpg
10390296_10101546760262161_2771388195893023181_n.jpg
1403747559849.jpg
1403747588283.jpg

My next mods will hopefully be picking up a set of rubi rails, to hold me off till I can get the EVO sliders. I am also hoping to get some EVO rock skins coming up for my bday. Trying to decide what the next mod will be after protecting the rockers.

As the title of the thread says, it's going to be a very slow process, but I hoped to one day be a part of the Enforcer club with 37s!

Rticul8

Im looking at buying one exactly like yours. I have a few questions if you dont mind.

Is it auto or manual?
What Gears?
How does it drive with the 33s and what kind of mileage are you getting with your current setup?
Lastly, if you dont mind how much did you pay for her?

Gorgeous jeep bud

thardy

Banned
Im looking at buying one exactly like yours. I have a few questions if you dont mind.

Is it auto or manual?
What Gears?
How does it drive with the 33s and what kind of mileage are you getting with your current setup?
Lastly, if you dont mind how much did you pay for her?

Gorgeous jeep bud

Thanks! It's an auto with 3.73 gears. I currently have a bout a 50/50 split between highway and city driving and I'm currently averaging around 16-17mpg. If memory serves me right, list price on her was around $23k and then I put the wheels, tires, and suspension on it.

Rticul8

Thanks! It's an auto with 3.73 gears. I currently have a bout a 50/50 split between highway and city driving and I'm currently averaging around 16-17mpg. If memory serves me right, list price on her was around $23k and then I put the wheels, tires, and suspension on it.

23k is a crazy good price. Especially for being an auto. :thumb:

How does she ride with the 33's?

JKRandall

So I figured I would go ahead and start a build thread post, even though it's going to take me quite a while to get where I want to be, figured you guys could help make some suggestions a long the way.

I got my 2014 Granite 2dr Sport back in January of this year.
View attachment 93366

Exactly one week from the day I brought her home I had my 16" ProComp Wheels installed and 285/75 Maxxis Big Horns on, as well as the tinted rear windows.
View attachment 93365

On week two I decided to take the sawzall to the front bumper and put on the VDP end caps.
View attachment 93367

About a week or so after that, she made her maiden voyage!
View attachment 93368
View attachment 93369
View attachment 93370
View attachment 93371

Congrats on the new rig:thumb: Love that color also!

Rticul8

It rides great, but not my first vehicle with mud tires. The Rubicon suspension has been the best thing I've done so far. It rides like a completely different Jeep now.

That is my goal when I purchase mine. Rubicon 4 door suspension and budget boost with 33's

thardy

Banned
That is my goal when I purchase mine. Rubicon 4 door suspension and budget boost with 33's

That was my main goal as well, but now I want 37's! It'll be awhile before I'm there, but I will definitely be going to 35's as soon as I need new tires.

StrizzyChris

Is this your first Jeep or JK? If so, then a slow build is the best build you can have. Keep asking 50 million questions(look for threads that are already discussing the topic) when you see people mention stuff you don't know/understand. Its the only way to spend your money once and wisely! It gets expensive when you make impulse buys without research and buying replacement parts later. Welcome to WAL! :standing wave:

thardy

Banned
Is this your first Jeep or JK? If so, then a slow build is the best build you can have. Keep asking 50 million questions(look for threads that are already discussing the topic) when you see people mention stuff you don't know/understand. Its the only way to spend your money once and wisely! It gets expensive when you make impulse buys without research and buying replacement parts later. Welcome to WAL! :standing wave:

I've been around Jeeps since I was a kid, but this is the first one I've owned. I've highly enjoyed reading through a lot of the build threads on here, as well as all of the "how to's". I finally made it all the way through hinrich's build and it was very informative with giving me some ideas. Really looking forward to seeing the progress as I'm able to build it up.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Second this. If I knew about this forum two years ago, I'd probably still have my 09! Slow and smart is the best way.

2014 JKUR

Rticul8

That was my main goal as well, but now I want 37's! It'll be awhile before I'm there, but I will definitely be going to 35's as soon as I need new tires.

Yeah brotha I completely understand. Due to my lifestyle right now my plans are small. As a DD nothing above 33's seems logical to me unless im going to wheel it every weekend. Ive been around jeeps my whole life and for once I want an almost stock jeep I can just enjoy and still kinda get okay mileage on. Shoot my 98 I just sold with 33's and 4:56 gears was killing me at 13-15mpg's.

thardy

Banned
Went to the 4 Wheel Parts Truck and Jeep Fest today. Won a $50 gift card within 20 minutes of walking in the door! I took it as a sign and picked up a set of the Smittybilt SRC Classic Sliders (basically rubi rails) for $150. Pick em up next week.

Sent from WAYALIFE mobile app

RockyJk

Went to the 4 Wheel Parts Truck and Jeep Fest today. Won a $50 gift card within 20 minutes of walking in the door! I took it as a sign and picked up a set of the Smittybilt SRC Classic Sliders (basically rubi rails) for $150. Pick em up next week.

Congrats on the win! 👍

thardy

Banned
Picked up my Smittybilt SRC Classic Sliders yesterday and was able to get the bolted up this evening. They bolted right up with no issues and look like they'll do an ok job of holding me off until I can get the EVO sliders.

1407368495019.jpg
1407368512146.jpg

thardy

Banned
Alright, I need some help. Looks like I've been given the go ahead to spend somewhere around $1000-1500 on the Jeep for my birthday coming up. I should also be getting the EVO skins from my family. The question becomes where to spend it. I have a few ideas but wouldn't mind some advice. Here are some of my thoughts.

Truck-lite headlights
Rigid Dually floods w/ fog light adapters
EVO rear d-rings
EVO skids (full kit or just oil pan)
EVO sliders
Some sort of air system (portable or on board)
MagnaFlow crawler series
Winch

Obviously I wouldnt be able to get all of that for my budget. Open to other ideas as well.

Last edited:

DA RUNT

I'm a truck-lite fanboy so you know what i'm gonna say :yup: Seriously tho, they are worth it. :twocents:

JKBlackie

Maybe Evo Rock Sliders and a bumper and winch combo? Put a little money into the protection/recovery department? Just an idea!

Your rig looks great! Love that color and I love the pictures! Keep 'em coming!

Top Bottom