Rubicon Trail Stock Jeep Friendly /er?

Mojavehanna

I have a question for those with some Rubicon Trail experience. I ran this trail back in 2008 in my 2004 Tacoma on 33's (no, not stock; F/R lockers, extensive armor, crawler, etc.). While most of the trail was challenging it was doable and I made it through without any breakage or damage to speak of. We did go pretty slowly compared to the big Jeeps and buggies though, and we bypassed pretty much everything that could be bypassed. Our biggest challenge was Old Sluice, which I really didn't think we were going to get our Tacoma's down, let alone without any damage. Overall it was a great trip, but it was not an easy drive.

So to the question. I've seen on the intrawebs that there have been lots of changes made recently to the trail; i.e. Little Sluice, Old Sluice, new port o johns, signage with mile markings, etc. So just how hard is the trail currently under normal conditions? Is it feasible to take a semi stock JKU on? Let's say a JKU Sport with a 2" lift, 33's, rear LSD, rock sliders, and not much else? Assuming of course one takes it easy and bypasses as much of the big obstacles as possible; go or no go?

Thanks in advance.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have a question for those with some Rubicon Trail experience. I ran this trail back in 2008 in my 2004 Tacoma on 33's (no, not stock; F/R lockers, extensive armor, crawler, etc.). While most of the trail was challenging it was doable and I made it through without any breakage or damage to speak of. We did go pretty slowly compared to the big Jeeps and buggies though, and we bypassed pretty much everything that could be bypassed. Our biggest challenge was Old Sluice, which I really didn't think we were going to get our Tacoma's down, let alone without any damage. Overall it was a great trip, but it was not an easy drive.

So to the question. I've seen on the intrawebs that there have been lots of changes made recently to the trail; i.e. Little Sluice, Old Sluice, new port o johns, signage with mile markings, etc. So just how hard is the trail currently under normal conditions? Is it feasible to take a semi stock JKU on? Let's say a JKU Sport with a 2" lift, 33's, rear LSD, rock sliders, and not much else? Assuming of course one takes it easy and bypasses as much of the big obstacles as possible; go or no go?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, you will be fine. We have one guy on 33s with a front locker that does fine every time. 2 door though.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yep, you will be fine. We have one guy on 33s with a front locker that does fine every time. 2 door though.

I disagree. If you are going with other people maybe but you'll be strapped a lot. If your going by yourself don't try it.

Two door and four door are way different.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Well I just ran through on the last wayalife trip and I'm on 35s with a 3" lift. While most of the trail wasn't crazy difficult it was still challenging on 35s. I was dragging my skid plates constantly and was tugged through a tough section on little sluice. Also I have EVO rock rails and was on them quite a bit. That being said I personally wouldn't want to do it with anything less than 35s, I was able to still have fun and actually wheel the trail. Although I'm sure now that jeep jamboree has gone through the trail will be significantly filled in.

Mojavehanna

I disagree. If you are going with other people maybe but you'll be strapped a lot. If your going by yourself don't try it.

I would never run a trail like the Rubicon solo; traveling with a group is most of the fun.

I know lots of stock Jeeps have made it through in years past. With enough assistance and rock stacking anything is possible. However, I am of the mindset that if I need to pave a trail by stacking that I need to find an easier trail. I'm never above getting a tug here and there, but I wouldn't want to have to be dragged through the entire way either. Also, maybe it's my age, err wisdom beginning to show, but I just don't enjoy body damage and parts breakage. But the Rubicon is seductive mistress, always in the midst of one's thoughts and it appears to be getting easier to navigate and more user friendly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a lot easier in a 2-door than a 4-door but as mentioned, it can be done. Hell, I have seen a bone stock 2-door JK do it with a lot of help. Definitely go with others and ones that are willing to be patient. I typically lead big groups through the Rubicon and have higher requirements but mainly to help keep things moving along so that everyone has a good time.

Mojavehanna

Well I just ran through on the last wayalife trip and I'm on 35s with a 3" lift. While most of the trail wasn't crazy difficult it was still challenging on 35s. I was dragging my skid plates constantly and was tugged through a tough section on little sluice. Also I have EVO rock rails and was on them quite a bit. That being said I personally wouldn't want to do it with anything less than 35s, I was able to still have fun and actually wheel the trail. Although I'm sure now that jeep jamboree has gone through the trail will be significantly filled in.

But you can bypass Little Sluice right? I never would have gotten my Tacoma through there in 07, buggies on 40's were not making it through LS back then. I know the trail is still tough, and I can handle tough. It's the sections like Old Sluice and Cadillac Hill, where you can't bypass; you either make it or turn around and drive all the way back to Gatekeeper that I'm worried about.

Mojavehanna

It's a lot easier in a 2-door than a 4-door but as mentioned, it can be done. Hell, I have seen a bone stock 2-door JK do it with a lot of help. Definitely go with others and ones that are willing to be patient. I typically lead big groups through the Rubicon and have higher requirements but mainly to help keep things moving along so that everyone has a good time.

What are your typical minimum requirements?

dwvninety

Subscribed...I want to know as I too plan on doing this trail the next time WAL (Eddie) opens up the signup sheet.

liljohn850

What are your typical minimum requirements?

I was gonna ask the same. Would a sport on 35's and a three inch lift make it? Are lockers necessary? I mean, of course lockers would make life easier, but would a winch drag you through enough to enjoy the scenery?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was gonna ask the same. Would a sport on 35's and a three inch lift make it? Are lockers necessary? I mean, of course lockers would make life easier, but would a winch drag you through enough to enjoy the scenery?

Lockers are not needed but they would make life easier. I have run the rubicon with a 3" lift and 35's on a 4-door X back when the trail was a lot harder but, I know the trail.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

He didn't say anything about going solo. That would be a totally crazy thing to do in a JKU built like he mentioned.

BBrown626

Went through a couple weeks ago. The other Jeep that went with us had no lockers and 33's. He needed to use the skinny pedal to make it through some of the obstacles. He ended up bending a front axle shaft and both front axle seals developed leaks. They had to bypass obstacles and always looked for the easy route. You'll likely have to spend some time piling rocks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
But you can bypass Little Sluice right? I never would have gotten my Tacoma through there in 07, buggies on 40's were not making it through LS back then. I know the trail is still tough, and I can handle tough. It's the sections like Old Sluice and Cadillac Hill, where you can't bypass; you either make it or turn around and drive all the way back to Gatekeeper that I'm worried about.

You can bypass old/true sluice. You cannot bypass big sluice.

JAGS

Hooked
Many factors to answering the question. Feasible, as some have posted...I'm sure it is. But at the risk of what to do so. Extra time? Minor damage? Major Damage? Everyone weighs these differently. If you're up for the challenge and have the experience, give it a try. 👍

- Jason

Mojavehanna

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions on this matter. As mentioned, conditions are constantly changing so this is a difficult issue to discuss. Opinions are subjective, also adding to the difficulty. I may just have to wait until they turn the Rubicon into a graded gravel road before I attempt it again ;)

The way I remember it I would agree with Eddie's assessment of minimum equipment for sure. I just thought that maybe things had gotten easier there with all of the recent changes made to the trail. Maybe I'll just run it with the Jeep Jamboree and let them pave the way :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for everyone's help and opinions on this matter. As mentioned, conditions are constantly changing so this is a difficult issue to discuss. Opinions are subjective, also adding to the difficulty. I may just have to wait until they turn the Rubicon into a graded gravel road before I attempt it again ;)

The way I remember it I would agree with Eddie's assessment of minimum equipment for sure. I just thought that maybe things had gotten easier there with all of the recent changes made to the trail. Maybe I'll just run it with the Jeep Jamboree and let them pave the way :thumb:

The Rubicon has gotten a LOT easier over the years and last year, it was by far the easiest I have ever seen it. However, the trail changes every winter and the work crews have started to move back some of the bit rocks that they pulled aside to get heavy equipment in. This year, I found the trail to be considerably more challenging than last but of course, every year is different.

Top Bottom