caster correction bolts

Rancho drop brackets. Stronger/better IMO.

Cam bolts/plates only give a max 1.5 adjustment and require lopping open your lower CA Mount hole,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have now purchased a lift that includes the caster correction bolts. I have read all over the place how bad they are. But I have seen several vehicles with them and the "seem" ok?! Am I doing harm to my Jeep running them? I am on a budget but want to do it right. Will the caster bolts hurt us? We will be off road with it maybe 4-6 times a year not rock crawling just some mild trails. Any advice is appreciated.

What you need to understand about cam bolts is that in order to make them work, you need to take your control arm mounting holes and cut them out so that they go from a square and make them into rectangular slots. These slots will allow you to slide your axle a bit to help add a bit more caster and then for the most part, your axle is held in place by compression of the bolts and washers. Now, for driving around town, this is no big deal BUT, if you actually wheel your Jeep as in, flex it, these bolts WILL come loose and allow your axle to slop around. If you're Jeep is just a pavement princess, you probably won't have any problems with them but you should know, if you go this route and decide later it was a mistake like it really is, fixing it will require you to have the slots converted back to square or round holes and that will require welding. You still think this is a good idea?

What you need to understand about cam bolts is that in order to make them work, you need to take your control arm mounting holes and cut them out so that they go from a square and make them into rectangular slots. These slots will allow you to slide your axle a bit to help add a bit more caster and then for the most part, your axle is held in place by compression of the bolts and washers. Now, for driving around town, this is no big deal BUT, if you actually wheel your Jeep as in, flex it, these bolts WILL come loose and allow your axle to slop around. If you're Jeep is just a pavement princess, you probably won't have any problems with them but you should know, if you go this route and decide later it was a mistake like it really is, fixing it will require you to have the slots converted back to square or round holes and that will require welding. You still think this is a good idea?

X100
Well said

I don't know much about this lift but from the little research I just did it looks like the resulting caster (post lift) is about 4 degrees. If this is the case I would wait to see how it drives after the lift is on. If it feels flighty then address that with brackets or adjustable arms as suggested above. I'd be willing to bet that you are happy with it as is.

FWIW: I have seen a ton of guys get hung up on the brackets on local trails (I'm near you). Most of the time it is just on hard dirt or a log, but they were still hung up. Also, I have had to retighten or help retighten them for people on the trial.... I don't know if this was due to improper installation or if they get loose, but after the first two I thought to myself: "This solution sucks". My first choice would be adjustable arms.... Then, brackets... I wouldn't do cam bolts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok, I will look into drop brackets as well. I have already purchased the Eibach All Terrain Lift and really don't see my upgrading to a larger lift later. I usually try to pick something and go with it especially since a Jeep can get pricey fast. I like the Eibach kit since it comes with everything like springs, shocks, brake lines, adjustable front track bar, bump stops, rear drop track bar bracket, caster bolts and some other things. I think it is a pretty complete kit.:clap2:

A 3.5" lift that doesn't come with adjustable control arms is not a complete kit.

A 3.5" lift that doesn't come with adjustable control arms is not a complete kit.

I agree, but is it a 3.5" kit? The info I found was really misleading. In one place they say 2" and then another 3ish. :crazyeyes: Also the "After" tech specs on alignment don't make sense for a 3.5" lift. :idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I agree, but is it a 3.5" kit? The info I found was really misleading. In one place they say 2" and then another 3ish. :crazyeyes: Also the "After" tech specs on alignment don't make sense for a 3.5" lift. :idontknow:

I saw they had a leveling kit and a lift kit. The leveling kit was 2" and the lift was the 3.5".

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I see that on the web based site, but the mobile says 2.5"ish.

http://m.eibach.com/news_jeep-wrangler-all-terrain-lift-jk.shtml

I didn't realize the alignment specs included the "cam adjustment kit" though.

I'm not even sure they have installed this lift on a jeep before. Anyone who says the lift is the same amount for a 2 door and a 4 door has never installed the lift.

Granted it might be a 3" lift but it looks to me like they are saying what it nets and it is totally different between the two.

Rebel JK

it will require you to have the slots converted back to square or round holes and that will require welding. You still think this is a good idea?
Been there done that with the cam bolts by previous owner. They made for an interesting ride home to say the least. I left home with 4* positive and came home with 1-2* a few times. Even with 184 lb pounds on the 9/16 bolts didnt hold.
Having adjustable uppers already, I migged the cams in place and has been nice to not have to re align after every trip.
I vote No cam bolts!

I'm not even sure they have installed this lift on a jeep before. Anyone who says the lift is the same amount for a 2 door and a 4 door has never installed the lift.

Granted it might be a 3" lift but it looks to me like they are saying what it nets and it is totally different between the two.

;):cheesy::crazyeyes::crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

mforce

This is the lift I am receiving.

http://eibach.com/america/en/jeep-wrangler/suspension

It should be around 3.5 front and 3 rear lift. I will most likely use drop brackets to limit any additional worries. I am not able to afford new arms so the brackets are a compromise.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a shame you already bought the kit. You could have gotten a Rancho 3" Trail System with shocks for less than what you are paying for this eibach kit and it comes with adjustable upper arms. Of course, you could have saved even more if you got their 3" Sport system which pretty much comes with what you are getting now.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
l'd also skip the frame side track bar drop bracket. and i don't care for that track bar design. sounds like your mind is already made up. your money, your jeep. jeep_wrangler_4_lrg.jpg

Top Bottom