Tires on Stock Rims

AlexwBlkJK

Ok... I have read the NEWBIE thread about tires and wheels but I still have a question.....

Right now my JKU has the Goodyear Wrangler 255/71R17 on it... which have I want replace as soon as $$$$ is available.... while I would like new rims and tires, if I DON'T have replace the rim to go up to a REAL A/T tire i don't want to....

Question is.... Can I fit a 285/70R17 or 285/75R17 BF tire onto the Stock rim... (the Aluminum Sport)?

I am not planning on doing any crawling, just mild trails, more excursion and or mud..... I have NO lift as of yet (2"BB in future)...

Suggestions?? Be kind, still kind new to building my rig....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you most certainly can BUT, you WILL need to run 1.5" wheel spacers to make it work. If you don't, you will have rubbing issues.

WhiteShadow

I'm running bigger tires on my stock JKU right now! The spacers were a must because I put 305/60R18 Terre Grapplers on my stock rims

AlexwBlkJK

I have never used wheel spacers before... Will the effect the handling on/off road? What should I look for in a good wheel spacer?
I see that a 285/70R17 is approx 32-33", should I try a true 33? or will that have rubbing issues?
I hear about people with issues at articulation, but I dont plan on a whole lot of that.. Trim Fenders? Flat Flairs?

Thanks for all the info.....

WhiteShadow

I haven't had to trim my fenders yet.. But as far as the spacers go look for 1.5 5x5 spidertrax spacers. They come in blue and black. I have used them for about 2 weeks and love them! Absolutely no rubbing and they held up at the local mud hole the other day

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have never used wheel spacers before... Will the effect the handling on/off road? What should I look for in a good wheel spacer?

Running a high quality wheel spacer like the ones Spidertrax makes will behave no differently than a new wheel with less back spacing. So long as you install them properly, you will not have any problems with them. Here is a write-up I did that will help you to get them installed:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3927-Spidertrax-Wheel-Spacers-Installation-Write-Up

I see that a 285/70R17 is approx 32-33", should I try a true 33? or will that have rubbing issues?

A 285 will in fact have an actual measurement of about 33". What you need to know is that a tire with 33" written on the sidewall will have an actual measurement that is closer to 31". In other words, you would have an easier time running a 33" tire than you would a 285 but, you would still need spacers to prevent rubbing at a full turn and possibly even the driver side rear side wall on your swaybar link.

I hear about people with issues at articulation, but I dont plan on a whole lot of that.. Trim Fenders? Flat Flairs?

Your problems with running bigger wider tires will be first and foremost with rubbing at a full turn and side wall rubbing in the rear on your sway bar link. IF you flex your Jeep, you will have problems there as well.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Spend the money and get the good quality spydertrax brand spacers in the 1.5 inch spacer like Eddie mentioned. I ran them and a 285/70r17 on stock rims and no lift on my 2008 unlimited X model I had and it looked good. I didn't really offroad it set up like that though and traded it in on my 2014 JKUR. I did have a slight rub on what sounded like the pass front fender flare one time when I drove down in a ditch and flexed it. A leveling kit or lift would've helped I'm sure but like I said I ended up trading it in.

jodonn

I have a question on this topic. If I install duritac 33's on stock rims, and add a leveling kit,do I still need to install wheel spacers? I only do a little trail wheeling. And was wondering how bad it will rub on dd. I'm also new to this lifting process.

DA RUNT

I have a question on this topic. If I install duritac 33's on stock rims, and add a leveling kit,do I still need to install wheel spacers? I only do a little trail wheeling. And was wondering how bad it will rub on dd. I'm also new to this lifting process.

Yes you will have to install wheel spacers to prevent rubbing.

Rccrwlr

I am running 285/70 on stock wheels with an actual Width of 11.5" and rubbed at full lock

A 33/12.5 should have something like a Width of 12.4"

I have 1.5" wheel spacers and have about 2.5" of space between the inside of the tire and the back sway bar

If we take away the spacer that would leave 1" and we add the .5" from the 33/12.5 that would leave .5" from the sway bar.

That's pretty close depending on the tire and side lugs of said tire. I run a BFG AT that doesn't have a side wall lug to speak of

The front rubbed before i put on the wheel spacers at full lock. With the wheel spacers I was able to remove the steering stop spacer and have no rubbing. Additionally the Jeep feels a lot more stable on the road

--rccrwlr. ".....and that's it baby!"

metaldemon

Have 315/70R17 Duratrac on Rubicon Wheels. Rugged ridge 1 1/2" spacers. Teraflex leveling lift with 19/61 four door springs. Flat fenders,3/4" bump stops in rear, 2" bump stops in the front, and she does rub anywhere fully flexed.

AlexwBlkJK

discount tire sells the tires, but will they mount that tire on my stock JK rims???:doh:
I know the one by me doesn't use road force balance machine...:thinking:
there is a 4 wheel parts near buy would it be best to get them from a 4wd part house that has experience in the larger tires?? :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
discount tire sells the tires, but will they mount that tire on my stock JK rims???:doh:
there is a 4 wheel parts near buy would it be best to get them from a 4wd part house that has experience in the larger tires?? :twocents:

While I have seen other tire shops not want to do it, I would think Discount Tire would especially if you're only going up to a 33" tire. Depending on what tire you get, you may not need a road force balancer to get them on.

tapcola

I love discount tire but I wanted some 35 MTR s on my stock rims and they wouldn't do it . So I bought some new ATX 195s and some mud grapplers !

Jackal01

I bought Duratracs from DT (via the dealership I bought my JKU from) a few weeks ago. When they finally arrived at my house last week I took them to the DT and they had no problem installing the tires on my factory wheels. I paid $80 for 5 tire mounting and balancing.

weissja36

I bought Duratracs from DT (via the dealership I bought my JKU from) a few weeks ago. When they finally arrived at my house last week I took them to the DT and they had no problem installing the tires on my factory wheels. I paid $80 for 5 tire mounting and balancing.

Would love to see pics!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i had to go dig for this and i hope Hinrich doesnt mind but here is a VERY old pic of his jeep w/ 35's and stock wheels

attachment.php

weissja36

Both look great, thanks!

I'm looking to put Duratrac 285/70/17s on my '14 stock JKUR wheels with 1.5" spacers and a teraflex leveling kit. I think it should look nice.

Top Bottom