Nitto Exo Grappler AWT - All Weather Tire

Vilmars

Got some EXO's installed on my Jeep last week. Noticed the quiet ride immediately (from stock KM's). Have not taken offroading yet, but winter is coming here in the North. Can't wait to try them out in snow/ice.

Discount Tire

vilmars, I agree on the nice quiet ride. I have them on my 1 ton 4x4 truck and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet they are.

shipjim

AT nittos

I have the Terra Grapplers. About 15000 miles. Not noisy (as these tires go, sure not quiet like my wife's Michelen for her SUV.) I the Hankooks, much happier.jj

Last edited:

Discount Tire

My tire guy was talking to me about these, anyone know if they're avaliable in 37's??

35" is the largest diameter currently in production. I'm not sure if Nitto plans on adding additional sizes or not but I too would love to see this model in 37".

Wardell

Will the 35x12.50R17 size fit on a 17" x 7.5" stock Rubicon wheel without too many issues? I notice Nitto is recommending a 8.5" to 11" wheel width for these, but I've heard of people running a similar size tire on stock rims and wanted to know if it would work for these. I'm already getting -10° to -20° weather up here (and it's only going to get colder) so proper winter rated tires are something I need, and if I'm buying tires I'd like to upgrade the size at the same time. That said, I'd rather save the money it would cost me to buy new wheels and put that towards other upgrades if I can help it. What do you think, is it possible or would it be a bad idea?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Will the 35x12.50R17 size fit on a 17" x 7.5" stock Rubicon wheel without too many issues? I notice Nitto is recommending a 8.5" to 11" wheel width for these, but I've heard of people running a similar size tire on stock rims and wanted to know if it would work for these. I'm already getting -10° to -20° weather up here (and it's only going to get colder) so proper winter rated tires are something I need, and if I'm buying tires I'd like to upgrade the size at the same time. That said, I'd rather save the money it would cost me to buy new wheels and put that towards other upgrades if I can help it. What do you think, is it possible or would it be a bad idea?

yes you can and it will fit. if you dont already have them you will need a set of 1.5" wheel spacers like the ones spidertrax makes to insure you dont rub at full turn or have and issues in the rear of the jeep.

Wardell

yes you can and it will fit. if you dont already have them you will need a set of 1.5" wheel spacers like the ones spidertrax makes to insure you dont rub at full turn or have and issues in the rear of the jeep.

Ok, thanks. I heard the spidertrax spacers mentioned before too, but I didn't look them up until now. A set of four will be less than even one new wheel. Sounds like I'll just need to decide which lift I'm going to pair these with (i.e. do I get a budget boost for now and upgrade later, or wait a couple weeks and get a full 3" lift kit) and I should be good to go.

vitodivita

Considering these tires. I wonder how they compare to the Duratrac off-road. These seem slightly beefier. Unfortunately I have to start my Jeep build over again and I don't think I'm going to go with duratrac this time around.

Anybody compare these to the trail grapplers? I'm really narrowing it down to those two, but leaning towards EXO.

ciphershort

I was dead set on Duratracs until I saw this tire. Does anyone have a weight for the 35x12.5r17? Also curious on how they ride since Nitto only offers these in an E rating. I like the fact that the Exo has a thicker sidewall and this is making me think it may be better than the Duratrac since it's also winter rated.

vitodivita

I was dead set on Duratracs until I saw this tire. Does anyone have a weight for the 35x12.5r17? Also curious on how they ride since Nitto only offers these in an E rating. I like the fact that the Exo has a thicker sidewall and this is making me think it may be better than the Duratrac since it's also winter rated.

I have read between 65 lbs and 73 lbs for the Exo. I'm ordering them hopefully soon.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Duratracs also have a thicker sidewall, depending on the model. The E rated duratracs have thicker sidewalls.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That's no too bad then. I've read that E rated tires ride pretty rough compared to D rated tires. If the difference is minimal, I still might go with the Exos.

I had 33" duratracs. which were D rated and on my current rig have 35" duratracs which are E rated. I honestly can't tell the difference in ride/noise. I think it depends on the tire, but my 35" duratracs ride very nicely, so don't let the rating stop you.

ciphershort

I had 33" duratracs. which were D rated and on my current rig have 35" duratracs which are E rated. I honestly can't tell the difference in ride/noise. I think it depends on the tire, but my 35" duratracs ride very nicely, so don't let the rating stop you.

I guess you are running 16" or 18" wheels to get the Duratracs in 35s with an E rating. I'm on 17s and they have a D rating for the Duratrac 35. Who knows. I look forward to reading more reviews on the Exo. It will be a few months before I'll have the funds for new rubber. My BFG KOs are going to need to be replaced soon tho.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I guess you are running 16" or 18" wheels to get the Duratracs in 35s with an E rating. I'm on 17s and they have a D rating for the Duratrac 35. Who knows. I look forward to reading more reviews on the Exo. It will be a few months before I'll have the funds for new rubber. My BFG KOs are going to need to be replaced soon tho.

I can't comment on the exos as I've never owned them but part of the reason why I went 16" on the 14 rubi is because I was so happy with the performance of duratracs when I had 33s on 15s. I've taken them literally through every condition and they have been stellar. Are the exos as good? They very well could be, but IMHO, they have large shoes to fill.

ciphershort

I can't comment on the exos as I've never owned them but part of the reason why I went 16" on the 14 rubi is because I was so happy with the performance of duratracs when I had 33s on 15s. I've taken them literally through every condition and they have been stellar. Are the exos as good? They very well could be, but IMHO, they have large shoes to fill.

I thought about doing 16s but want to have the option of a big brake kit in the future if I decide to which seems to always require 17s. Both of these tires being about the same price doesn't make it any easier a decision. I guess I will wait and see what people say about it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I thought about doing 16s but want to have the option of a big brake kit in the future if I decide to which seems to always require 17s. Both of these tires being about the same price doesn't make it any easier a decision. I guess I will wait and see what people say about it.

That would be great. Duratracs have stellar reviews basically across the boards (literally, across any forum you look at) so it will take a little time before the exo reviews start coming out. I have exhaustive experience with toyo products (although they were sports car tires) and they have always been stellar as well. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either option. In my PERSONAL opinion, I still think the Duratracs look better, but again, that's a personal opinion. Going with 17s for a future possibility of a big brake kit isn't a bad idea. I knew I wouldn't really need it, so I prefer to have a bit more rubber, and thought the teraflex kit was crap (dynatrac kit wasn't announced at the time.) If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone with 17s and gotten the dynatrac kit.

Discount Tire

According to our information the 35x12.50R-17 Exo Grappler weighs 73lbs.

As far as ride quality goes, this is somewhat subjective. 10 ply rated tires have more material build into them for heavy duty use. When compared to the factory tires, one can expect to see some difference in overall ride quality. At what point does it bother you though? Where some may find 10 ply rated tires ride stiff, others won't. In my opinion, at the correct operating pressure, a 10 ply rated tire is not uncomfortable.

Kneece

We've received our first shipments of Exo Grappler tires from Nitto. As always we guarantee the lowest out the door price.
If you find a competitor with a cheaper advertised out the door price, we'll beat it!

Click Here For: Sizing, Specs, and Pricing on the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT
*added to the OP

In addition to the the sizes linked above, Nitto added the following sizes to their Exo Grappler line-up. These sizes should be
available sometime towards the end of this year.

• 35x12.50R-17
  • 35x12.50R-18
  • 35x12.50R-20

In other Nitto news, did anyone else notice this?

Is this comment for all stores?

Top Bottom