Nitto Exo Grappler AWT - All Weather Tire

AncientTrail

AncientTrail,

I think I do...I ordered my kit right as RK was switching to them exclusively (late April '14). None of the documentation that came with the kit said either way. When I load up the Jeep, the rear end doesn't sag so I'm assuming they are the progressive Triple Rates. They are not as soft as I was expecting and the ride is comparable to my stock Rubicon coils/suspension. Though the polyurethane/heim and Krawler joints may be helping to make the ride a little more stuff than I was hoping for. The kit wheels great.

Once I put the EXOs on the ride got softer due to the larger side wall.
-Matt

Thanks Matt!

I asked because I also have the 3.5 X-Factor but it came with their early springs which were progressive front and linear rear. A bit too high and firm for me. So what I did was order their triple's in the 2.5 to bring the COG down and it is VERY smooth in all situations. I'm also running the AntiRocks front and rear with Fox 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks tuned.

I've been thinking about going back up to 3.5 and was wondering how the new springs would feel at that height. RK's tend to ride higher than advertised which I understand. The body lean doesn't bother me at 2.5 as it is controlled.

Anyway...

:beer:

Drunic

How are these weighted 35's on 3.21 gearing? The 285/70/r17 are a tiny bit smaller than I want to go with that gear.

vitodivita

Just an update

We had a blizzard hit last night and i took the jeep for a ride. Great traction as I drove thru some deep snow. It matches the duratracs for sure. Didn't get any pics unfortunately.

I did also get my Jeep regeared to 4.88 and added a limited slip, which was also a nice addition.

I plan on wheeling the jeep in March and will reply again with my thoughts...

Discount Tire

Just an update

We had a blizzard hit last night and i took the jeep for a ride. Great traction as I drove thru some deep snow. It matches the duratracs for sure. Didn't get any pics unfortunately.

I did also get my Jeep regeared to 4.88 and added a limited slip, which was also a nice addition.

I plan on wheeling the jeep in March and will reply again with my thoughts...

Awesome. Thank you for the update vitodivita :thumb:

vitodivita

Hows the ride of the E tire ?

I feel it handles the road better than the duratrac. The duratrac would follow the grooves of the road a lot more, aka tramlining.

I think the ride is pretty good, but without adding some more weight it's hard for me to say if it's better or worse than the duratrac. The jeep only has a lift and rock sliders at this point. I have evo skids and a front bumper coming soon to weigh it down.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
My opinion is that the E tires ride very well weighted down. I have aftermarket bumpers, sliders and a winch. The ride is really nice when I have then at 22PSI running a couple of light trails. I have been running them at 26PSI per the DISCOUNTTIRE Direct rep's recommendation on the asphalt.

I agree that the tires do not follow the lines/ruts in the road and overall give a very good ride in dry, wet, muddy and snowy roads. Much better in the slippery stuff than the Terra Grapplers I had before.

Discount Tire

My opinion is that the E tires ride very well weighted down. I have aftermarket bumpers, sliders and a winch. The ride is really nice when I have then at 22PSI running a couple of light trails. I have been running them at 26PSI per the DISCOUNTTIRE Direct rep's recommendation on the asphalt.

I agree that the tires do not follow the lines/ruts in the road and overall give a very good ride in dry, wet, muddy and snowy roads. Much better in the slippery stuff than the Terra Grapplers I had before.

26 PSI is on the low side for street use. The minimum cold inflation pressure we recommend for 35x12.50R-17 Exo Grappler tires on your Rubicon is 35PSI. We apologize for the miscommunication.

hdrider

I'm paying close attention to this thread. I'm on my second set of Nitto Trail Grapplers on 2 different rigs now and have loved them. I have 35,000 miles on my current set on my 2012 Rubicon Unlimited, about 10,000 of those miles were while being towed behind our motorhome.
We are in Arizona for the winter and by the time we get back to Oregon this summer I will be close to the wear bars and will replace them before continuing on. Now that we fulltime travel along it seems our harder wheeling is a lot less than it was while living in one spot and wheeling with friends so maybe the Trail Grappler is a bit overkill for a jeep that now see's road time 80% of the time a and trails maybe 20% so I'm considering the Exo Grappler.
But because most of our wheeling is alone I still want a tire I can trust as much as I have the Trail Grappler. But maybe a little lighter and with a little better highway habit's and quieter, (not that the Trail Grapplers are bad by far!!).
Because we tend to chase good weather tend to do more desert stuff than mud any more. BUT I LOVE MUD!!!! :rock:
Any comments on my needs?

vitodivita

6,000 miles on these tires, here are some more impressions, on + off road
IMG_6492.jpg

My opinion on these tires
•Having run similar sized Duratracs in the past, the Exo Grappler is definitely the stiffer tire. I've been tweaking PSI and mid 20's (25-26) is the sweet spot for my JKU at this point in time on the Exo. It's part of the experience of having an E-rated tire, just plain stiffer.

•Exo has better road manners than the duratracs.

•Regarding the weight, they are heavy tires, but I really can't tell a difference on the road with duratracs. I've run both tires with 3.73 gears, and now have 4.88 gears (first time I've regeared a JK, and I love it!).

•My first off-road trip with this Jeep and these tires, I ran thru some heavy mud, and some mild rock crawling. The exo grappler's dug into the mud with no problem. The folks I ran with had Trail grapplers, mud grapplers, & KM2's. I don't want to declare it just yet, but I feel these grip better than the duratracs off road. Never got stuck once, they definitely held their own.

So far I'm super happy with these, with the only caveat being that I wish they offered them in Load C or D range.

Southpaw1746

I just ordered me a set of these EXO Grapplers. I ordered a set of 35". Anxious for their arrival. I was wondering those who have them on their Jeeps, who have used a chip (pro comp or similar) to calibrate these tires? What actual size did you enter to calibrate? I read earlier in the thread that the actual size may be 34.75".

Wardell

I just ordered me a set of these EXO Grapplers. I ordered a set of 35". Anxious for their arrival. I was wondering those who have them on their Jeeps, who have used a chip (pro comp or similar) to calibrate these tires? What actual size did you enter to calibrate? I read earlier in the thread that the actual size may be 34.75".

Your best bet is to measure from the ground to the centre of the wheel, then double it. That will give you the right running size for the tire on your Jeep, since exactly how big it ends up being when mounted will vary depending on the tire pressure, weight of your vehicle, and even the width of the wheel you mount them on.

Southpaw1746

Your best bet is to measure from the ground to the centre of the wheel, then double it. That will give you the right running size for the tire on your Jeep, since exactly how big it ends up being when mounted will vary depending on the tire pressure, weight of your vehicle, and even the width of the wheel you mount them on.

Thanks! I'll try that.

gary2

In case any one is interested I just received a reply from NITTO . I asked the weight of a 35-12.50-17 which is 72.75lbs, for NITTO that's not as heavy as I expected . If that has already posted sorry . Its hard to remember what I read where as Discount tires seems to create a thread like this on every imaginable site on the net understandably

NV375

I just checked our system. Not additional sizes yet. Should be any day.

I have put over 1,100 miles on the with my Dodge 3500. They ride super smooth with only a slight hum at highway speeds. I had them off road on a trail but not 4 wheeling like I would in a Jeep. So far they have been great.

IMG_6306-L.jpg

The trail was a bit muddy.

How are these doing? I will likely need some new rubber on my RAM 3500 before winter.

Drobo

Can't wait to get these! But going to regear first before I buy bigger tires and do the lift this year.

Discount Tire

How are these doing? I will likely need some new rubber on my RAM 3500 before winter.

I am still loving them on my Dodge 3500. They are quiet and super smooth plus they have excellent traction.

I tow heavy as well. Inside my toyhauler I have a side by side.

IMG_7651-L.jpg

Top Bottom