Nitto Exo Grappler AWT - All Weather Tire

Discount Tire

Got a chance to check out the new Nitto Exo Grappler in person today. One of my co-workers
had a set of 285/70R-17s installed on his Ram 3500 (I know, I know...it's not a Jeep :crazyeyes:).

Initial Impressions:

• The tires look fantastic!

There is a decent amount of void between the tread lugs and the sidewall lugs are meaty!​

• Great ride quality.

No noticeable road noise and the tires ride extremely smooth down the road.​

• Very little weight to balance.

Nitto tires are known for uniformity and this set is no different. 1.75 oz of weight or less was needed.​

Here are a few photos from this morning.

IMG_4572_zpsc17c74cc.jpg

IMG_4577_zps180f00c3.jpg

IMG_4588_zps5da1cd14.jpg

Additional Photos:

285/70R-17 Exo Grappler Tires Installed

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I was set on goodyear duratrac's for my wife's jeep, but these are looking pretty good. We live in Wyoming and the snow and ice rating is important.
Now were these the tires Mel was running on the evo tj? If anybody knows..

Discount Tire

Just confirmed Mel did run the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT on his race rig at the last Ultra 4 race. They preformed great and he had no flats.

Here is a photo of Mel's Jeep at the race with the tires on it:

IMG951541-2_zps4b54aaac.jpg

Last edited:

olram30

Just confirmed Mel did run the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT on his race rig at the last Ultra 4 race. They preformed great and he had no flats.

That's awesome. I thought I saw a picture and the tread looked the same. Good enough for ultra 4 stuff, then good enough for me! :thumbup:

dnymud

That's awesome. I thought I saw a picture and the tread looked the same. Good enough for ultra 4 stuff, then good enough for me! :thumbup:

Hey Olram, I was at the Ultra4 race and talked to the Nitto guys and Mel about their choice of the Exo Grappler for the race. They chose that tire over the Trail Grappler because of the great wet traction from the tread siping. Due to rain showers on Friday and Saturday morning the track was very wet and muddy. On the muddy dirt course the Exo Grappler cleaned out pretty well. The tire excelled on the man made rocky obstacles. The tread siping provided extra grip from the biting edges and Mel navigated those obstacles with no issue. Just my two cents from seeing them in action. :thumb:

Last edited:

olram30

Hey Olram, I was at the Ultra4 race and talked to the Nitto guys and Mel about their choice of the Exo Grappler for the race. They chose that tire over the Trail Grappler because of the great wet traction from the tread siping. Due to rain showers on Friday and Saturday morning the track was very wet and muddy. On the muddy dirt course the Exo Grappler cleaned out pretty well. They tire excelled on the man made rocky obstacles. The tread siping provided extra grip from the biting edges and Mel navigated those obstacles with no issue. Just my two cents from seeing them in action. :thumb:

Yeah, I read up on them. What I really like also is the snow rating. The siping is really important. Plus the sidewall lugs look pretty good also. I really hope they have a 35" tire. Didn't see that size. Anybody know what the load rating is? D or E?

dnymud

Yeah, I read up on them. What I really like also is the snow rating. The siping is really important. Plus the sidewall lugs look pretty good also. I really hope they have a 35" tire. Didn't see that size. Anybody know what the load rating is? D or E?

All of the available sizes right now are an E rating. I believe there will be a 35x12.50R17 size coming. That was the size Mel ran on the EVO TJ.

Trucker150

Moby sighting in Vancouver Washington. Must have needed fuel and then headed back out to I205 north bound, not good pictures but in my semi and couldn't catch up ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409342691.858061.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409342708.750040.jpg

Dean454

Nitto has added a new model to their Grappler line of tires. If you're looking for an all-weather
workhorse that's just as stable as it is versatile, the Exo Grappler AWT may be worth a look.

Click Here For: Sizing, Specs, and Pricing on the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT

Source: [url]www.exograppler.com[/url]

"Built to meet the all-weather demands of off-road truck enthusiasts", Nitto Exo Grappler AWT features 3-ply sidewall construction
and bares the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol for severe snow conditions. Other benefits and features include large staggered
shoulder blocks for increased off-road traction, variable pitch tread blocks for reduced tire noise, and a durable tread compound for
chip resistance. The Exo Grappler will cover popular 17", 18", and 20" sizes.

Hopefully we'll be able to get our hands on a set, so we can push this tire to its limits.

What are your thoughts on the new Exo Grappler AWT?

Look like duratracs

Discount Tire

Thanks for the link. I agree with Mel this is a very quiet tire that is very smooth. I have them on my Dodge 3500 and love them.

GCM 2

Bump....with video

Edit: Sorry cozdude had already beat me to posting a link to the video. I should have read back all of two post before double tapping you brother!

Nice job on the video, wish these came in 40" size. Some of you may recognize one of the guys in the video and his jeep ;)

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Nice job on the video, wish these came in 40" size. Some of you may recognize one of the guys in the video and his jeep ;)

Haven't had a chance to watch the video, was it Monty Python? :idontknow:

Munday

Good to see some competition for the Duratrac's .... I always run them on my truck but I'm going to look at a set of these next time for sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GCM 2

Haven't had a chance to watch the video, was it Monty Python? :idontknow:

Close, but since you, Sharkey, Overlander and I are not in it.....no it's not a comedy bit. But I fart in your general direction anyway :icon_crazy:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I saw a set of these the other day and they looked like a great option for sure. Wish they came in a 37

d90king

If these offer anywhere near the same quality and performance as the Duratrac's do they will sell like hotcakes! I wish I had known about these before I grabbed a set of Duratracs. I really like the look of these for an everyday tire that is not only great on road, but great on the trails too. Any news on pricing compared to the Duratracs? I paid right at $300 for the 315/70/17. Its nice to have a solid alternative to chose from.

Top Bottom