Jeep JK Wrangler Unit Bearing Replacement Write-Up

Native

What kind of miles are you guys seeing before replacement? I know tire size and wheel backspacing will play a part but interested to know what everyone's experiences are here...

jeeeep

Hooked
I had about 90k miles but I replaced them since I replaced ball joints, they still seemed fine when I pulled them off.

SFNick

What kind of miles are you guys seeing before replacement? I know tire size and wheel backspacing will play a part but interested to know what everyone's experiences are here...

I replaced my first set @ 65K. I had 35inch tires & wheeled it moderatly hard. Just put in a new set when I swapped out my axle @ 105K miles with 37inch tires from 75k miles & they seemed to be pretty worn out.

spinuck

I looked through the thread, but didn't see if this was asked, but will the Timken one listed work for 2012+ JK's? It looks like the part number changed at that year (398AC to 398AD). just want to make sure before ordering.

thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I looked through the thread, but didn't see if this was asked, but will the Timken one listed work for 2012+ JK's? It looks like the part number changed at that year (398AC to 398AD). just want to make sure before ordering.

thanks.

It is different and it will work but you do need to route the speed sensor line behind the shock like you would on a 2007-11 and NOT mount it to the bottom of the shock mount as is what you would do on a factory height 2012-up.

Jeep du Boy

Thank you for a great post. I swapped out my passenger front today. I would have had to fork over more than I could afford to fix mine.
This was the biggest repair I have done to date.

I owe you a bottle of honey. Note the SAMs was a rainy day work buddy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422827297.614458.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422827297.614458.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 319

JKU-Tom

Does this sound like unit bearings. I had a squeak for a few weeks that has now turned into a slight clunk when I turn left. I run 35's on wheels with 4.5 in backspacing.

monkeyhunk

And here I was using anti seize instead of lock tite when I had a hell of a time tearing all that down to do axle shafts. Now I have to go back in for a bearing. Glad I did that now!;)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Just ordered a Unit bearing to replace my 24k front passenger side.

Moog #513272

I will be using this write-up for the install, thanks Eddie! :thumb:

OhNoTheJiggies

Thank you for the write up, helped me tons. Went smoothly other than breaking the old rusty one free.

Attachments

• 1449965349021.jpg
    1449965349021.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 278

JoeB-JKURX

Amazon - "Does Not Fit Your 2014 Jeep Rubicon"

I went to Amazon with the part number from the write-up - HA590242. Amazon does sell this unit bearing but states that it will not fit my 2014 JKUR. I've searched a lot of places and have yet to find a site that sells a unit bearing that specifically will fit my Jeep. At least one write-up gave me the impression that something changed around 2010 to 2012 but there was nothing that said what the change is. From one of the Wayalife responses in this thread, I got the impression that the only difference of significance was the length of the speed sensor wire bundle. I don't need one at the moment but from comments on this thread, it seems that they go out fairly frequently and it would be good to have a spare on hand.

Thanks

Edit - finally deciphered the Timken catalog - the number for 2012-2016 appears to be HA590482. The cheapest I've found so far is Rock Auto at $101.79

Last edited:

Journeyman

Yes. It is shorter but even at a full droop with my DTD's that have 14" of vertical travel, it still had enough length to it. Of course, I have long since pulled the plug off the frame and re-routed the line so that I could get more length out of it and would recommend you do the same. I think in 2011-up, the speed sensor lines were made a lot longer and on the 2012-up, they are long enough to get routed under the shocks.

Anyway, if I can make them work with my droop, you should be fine. :yup:

Just changed the bearings on my jku. Thanks for the great write up. Having just changed my ball joints this was a piece of cake.
I used the autozone duralast unit bearings which I discovered are made for them by timkin.
Question for you guys about the new speed sensor wire being shorter and having to re-route it. I was curious if anybody's tried to use the factory sensor wire on the new bearings. I used the new ones, but saved the oe's just in case.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just changed the bearings on my jku. Thanks for the great write up. Having just changed my ball joints this was a piece of cake.
I used the autozone duralast unit bearings which I discovered are made for them by timkin.
Question for you guys about the new speed sensor wire being shorter and having to re-route it. I was curious if anybody's tried to use the factory sensor wire on the new bearings. I used the new ones, but saved the oe's just in case.

Yup, you can definitely reuse the factory speed sensor wires if they're still working.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Yes. It is shorter but even at a full droop with my DTD's that have 14" of vertical travel, it still had enough length to it. Of course, I have long since pulled the plug off the frame and re-routed the line so that I could get more length out of it and would recommend you do the same. I think in 2011-up, the speed sensor lines were made a lot longer and on the 2012-up, they are long enough to get routed under the shocks.

Anyway, if I can make them work with my droop, you should be fine. :yup:

When routing the new, shorter, abs line did you route it with the brake line or is it ran separately?

Top Bottom