Jeep JK Wrangler Unit Bearing Replacement Write-Up

horrocks007

The tire is back on and I'm done for the night. They're probably fine the if they're supposed to rest on the rotors. I just want sure. Thanks for the reassurance.

My rear bearings are also bad, glad I saw that write up as well, and got the new axle shafts and pressed bearings on order.

WJCO

Meme King
If you're talking about how far they are from the rotor surface,it sounds like you're fine. They should just barely touch. When you spin the wheel by hand there should be no resistance. When stepping on the brake pedal, the wheel should not be able to spin.

deezus

So, what is the correct part number for a 2013 JKUR? I want the same length speed sensor wires, thanks!

Dopey84

Thank you for a great write up helped me in changing out my driver side hub assembly today nice and easy

Dopey

Apdski

Thanks for the great write-up! Considering doing this as I have been chasing a rotational squeak around my front passenger for months now. It will come and go but when its there, its annoying as all get out. Squeak increases in frequency as wheel rotation increases. I mostly notice it when under 5mph on downward slopes such as coming to a stop sign. It sounds similar to shitty bicycle brakes but I don't believe its pads or rotors. I have had the pads a while and greased all the clips and pins when they were installed. I've done all the tests I know of getting under the jeep and shaking things around feeling for play, but everything seems solid. What do hubs sound like when they go bad?

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the great write-up! Considering doing this as I have been chasing a rotational squeak around my front passenger for months now. It will come and go but when its there, its annoying as all get out. Squeak increases in frequency as wheel rotation increases. I mostly notice it when under 5mph on downward slopes such as coming to a stop sign. It sounds similar to shitty bicycle brakes but I don't believe its pads or rotors. I have had the pads a while and greased all the clips and pins when they were installed. I've done all the tests I know of getting under the jeep and shaking things around feeling for play, but everything seems solid. What do hubs sound like when they go bad?
they groan and rumble, have play......as any wheel bearing does Usually easy to catch coasting down a hill with engine idling, or lifting the wheel and listening to it spin with a long screwdriver or better a stethoscope to the fixed part of the unit and you ear(s) (better to have a helper to prevent injury)

Apdski

thanks for the insight! haven't head the noise in a while so I'm not going to mess with anything. if it aint broke..dont fix it!

WhiskeyMike

Thanks for the write up.

I’m wondering if anyone has seen a bad bearing chew up the end of an abs sensor. I replaced the front driver sensor four months ago, and it died within a month. My bump stop broke and I assumed it was bottoming out or over extending and breaking a wire. So I was replacing the bumpstop and abs sensor and I noticed the tip of the sensor was chewed up like my Labrador got a hold of it. I put the new sensor in and I had to give it a pretty good push to get it seated. I’m thinking the bearing could be skewed off a mm or two catching the sensor.

Thinking I’m just going to get a new bearing and swap it out as there is a bit of vertical play anyways.

Should this be done in pairs? Anyone have suggestions on brand or is Timkin still considered equal or better to OEM.

2013 jku, 80k miles, 35” tires for reference.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the write up.

I’m wondering if anyone has seen a bad bearing chew up the end of an abs sensor. I replaced the front driver sensor four months ago, and it died within a month. My bump stop broke and I assumed it was bottoming out or over extending and breaking a wire. So I was replacing the bumpstop and abs sensor and I noticed the tip of the sensor was chewed up like my Labrador got a hold of it. I put the new sensor in and I had to give it a pretty good push to get it seated. I’m thinking the bearing could be skewed off a mm or two catching the sensor.

Thinking I’m just going to get a new bearing and swap it out as there is a bit of vertical play anyways.

Should this be done in pairs? Anyone have suggestions on brand or is Timkin still considered equal or better to OEM.

2013 jku, 80k miles, 35” tires for reference.

Bearing play could cause this. No need to replace them both if only one is failed. Yes, Timken is still good quality shit.

kyle521

Thought I'd throw my experience on timkin in here. I just replaced mine again. My first set of timkins lasted about 40,000 miles. running 35s, on 1.5 inch spacers for 15k and was running 33s for the first 25k on the hubs. I replaced them with timkins again, but also noted that the shaping and style was slightly different on the hub its self.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yeah, when I was shopping around for a pair, I saw that too. You can get cheaper ones than the Timkens I got but, Timken makes quality bearings and so, I decided to go with what I know.

After our conversation, last week, I searched and found this thread. I have noticed that it looks like my camber may be out of spec, just eyeballing it. With the miles on the Jeep, and the intermittent traction control issue, I believe you and Cindy are correct. Thanks for the great write up. It will be my next project.

Top Bottom