Look at an ACE Rear Bumper - Is it solid? Any rattles? Negatives?

GoldenJK

I currently have the Expedition One rear bumper and tire carrier, love this thing. It's so damn stout and sturdy. The tire carrier opens with door smoothly and has option to adjust size so you're not limited to a certain sized tire.
View attachment 168581

I've had the Expedition One bumper since late 2007 and it has been 100% trouble free since then. Very solid, no squeaks, would definitely buy again

CamBam925

Oh, mind is already made up. Looking for reassurance on your purchase. Gotcha..

Correct :thumbup: I'm not the OP so I guess the title of the thread is misleading if you didn't see my first post quoting someone who has this setup

CrazyLarry

I've had the Expedition One bumper since late 2007 and it has been 100% trouble free since then. Very solid, no squeaks, would definitely buy again

This is the combo ive always wanted. Ive been stuck with the MORE for the last 5 years. Hows the powdercoat holding up all this time you've had it?

daverawr

This is the combo ive always wanted. Ive been stuck with the MORE for the last 5 years. Hows the powdercoat holding up all this time you've had it?

Powder coating is good as new. No problems with it at all. Mines a texas jeep so we dont have harsh winters or the salty roads people up north have so i cant say much for that

Matador

I have zero issues with it. Opens and closes the same way it did when it was new. Powder coating is in perfect shape other that some spots where I have come down on rocks. Nothing s little rattle can hasn't fixed. Only had to take my spare off once by myself. It was a little of a challenge getting it back on by myself. On a trail it would probably be easier since you could just drive into a lower spot and stand on higher ground with the spare. :).

My jeep really didn't see our last Canadian winter, stored it in my garage but took it out a few times to play [emoji106]. Another member of our club has it and it's their daily driver, he doesn't run the slant back option but it's in perfect shape too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redrckjeepr

Love my ACE Rear bumper. I have had it for about 3 years now. I got the swinging tire carrier and it is awesome. Would like to eventually get the slanted tire carrier. I went with them because of being in the US and awesome customer service. The install was not bad. My husband and I did it one Saturday. I also have the rock guards that bolt on. They stood up well to a drunk driver running into my jeep in a parking lot with just a scratch and handle fine on trails. My next goal is to get the front bumper. I would highly recommend them!

Hot94Z28

I have the ACE rear bumper, I don't have the slant option nor would I want it. I think that's personal preference if you want that, also where can I get those 6" lights for the back there has to be a cheaper place than through ACE.

CamBam925

I have zero issues with it. Opens and closes the same way it did when it was new. Powder coating is in perfect shape other that some spots where I have come down on rocks. Nothing s little rattle can hasn't fixed. Only had to take my spare off once by myself. It was a little of a challenge getting it back on by myself. On a trail it would probably be easier since you could just drive into a lower spot and stand on higher ground with the spare. :).

My jeep really didn't see our last Canadian winter, stored it in my garage but took it out a few times to play [emoji106]. Another member of our club has it and it's their daily driver, he doesn't run the slant back option but it's in perfect shape too.

Love my ACE Rear bumper. I have had it for about 3 years now. I got the swinging tire carrier and it is awesome. Would like to eventually get the slanted tire carrier. I went with them because of being in the US and awesome customer service. The install was not bad. My husband and I did it one Saturday. I also have the rock guards that bolt on. They stood up well to a drunk driver running into my jeep in a parking lot with just a scratch and handle fine on trails. My next goal is to get the front bumper. I would highly recommend them!

Thanks guys appreciate the reviews to help me with my decision. I should be able to pick one of these up in about a month, can't wait!

jknit

Not to throw any wrinkle here and I'm sure everyone will tell me a million reasons why I'm wrong or an idiot but, this is my second build, and my second AEV carrier, and they have both been amazing and rattle free ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444430687.517268.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not to throw any wrinkle here and I'm sure everyone will tell me a million reasons why I'm wrong or an idiot but, this is my second build, and my second AEV carrier, and they have both been amazing and rattle free View attachment 168750

No wrinkle. I think most people who really compare the AEV to the ACE would agree that your AEV is of far superior quality.

To quote a friend of mine though: "ACE really helps the economy because it causes people to buy bumpers twice." :cheesy:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
ACE has terrible welds and crappy designs. LōD makes great quality products and doesn't break the bank, also has superior powdercoating. AEV makes quality products as well but they are pricey. Also I think they still sell their linked carrier that is not centered, that would drive me crazy.

CamBam925

"ACE really helps the economy because it causes people to buy bumpers twice."

ACE has terrible welds and crappy designs.

both of these are based on what exactly???

I agree their welds look like shit but time spent cleaning up welds vs terrible welds that don't work are 2 different things, am I to understand that the welds are bad as in insufficient penetration or something along those lines?

what is it that makes their design so terrible exactly? this is the info i was looking for in the first place so if you have actual reasoning behind your comments other than complete opinion I would love to here them. (and for the record I am a fan of the overall look aesthetically speaking so please dont post that as a reason hahah)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
both of these are based on what exactly???

I agree their welds look like shit but time spent cleaning up welds vs terrible welds that don't work are 2 different things, am I to understand that the welds are bad as in insufficient penetration or something along those lines?

what is it that makes their design so terrible exactly? this is the info i was looking for in the first place so if you have actual reasoning behind your comments other than complete opinion I would love to here them. (and for the record I am a fan of the overall look aesthetically speaking so please dont post that as a reason hahah)

First I wouldn't spend $600+ on a tire carrier that I have to clean welds off of. If I wanted that I would build my own.

Second, a friend of mine has this carrier with a 37 on it and it rattles a lot. He said he would have bought something else if he did it over.

CamBam925

First I wouldn't spend $600+ on a tire carrier that I have to clean welds off of. If I wanted that I would build my own.

Second, a friend of mine has this carrier with a 37 on it and it rattles a lot. He said he would have bought something else if he did it over.

has he tired to adjust the heim joint so the tire sits against the rubber with more force? this is the first time i have heard of this being a issue in my limited research, thanks for the warning.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Need a tire carrier and bumper that opens with the door. Was thinking ACE any...

has he tired to adjust the heim joint so the tire sits against the rubber with more force? this is the first time i have heard of this being a issue in my limited research, thanks for the warning.

Yes.

And to be completely honest your research won't do any good because people can't admit they purchase a product that was a mistake or has issues. So they will all say it's great even if it sucks.

Last edited:

Matador

Need a tire carrier and bumper that opens with the door. Was thinking ACE any...

No rattles on the Ace bumper, they have a lifetime warranty and its solid as hell. What am I missing? I have a friend with another bumper.....one that has been mentioned above and his spindle after 1 yr has basically seized. I guess that's superior. :)

If I didn't like it.... I would tell you.....I can admit when I am wrong but so far I have had Zero issues and would recommend them.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Rattle free on my stock tire carrier! Comming up on a year, holding a 35. Extended the tire carrier isolators with 1.5" PCV pipe and a cap to keep it nice and tight!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Seeing the performance (or lack thereof) of the sliders up close and personal was enough for me to stay away from all of their products.

Top Bottom